Women Who Wear Trashed Boots With Wobbly Heels

tws4646

Hi all, first post so be nice!

I was waiting for a flight in a UK airport yesterday minding my own and noticed a young lady in a pair of boots with chunkyish 3 inch heels which looked a bit worse for wear, that sort of thing usually catches my eye. 

After watching her discreetly for a few moments I was amazed at the state the boots were in and how on earth she was still wearing them, both of the heels had worn beyond the heel tip and worn at an angle, hence when she walked or stood the heels were bending in under the boot, particularly the right heel there was no support there at all, when she walked the heel was bending so far forward it was unreal, I don't know how she managed to walk in them.

When she was standing still she was obviously aware the right heel in particular was wobbly, she was almost playing with it trying to stretch it out to where it should be and then letting it bend back in towards the front, then she'd do it again, I think she was enjoying doing it. I haven't seen a show like it since I was at school many years ago!

Has anyone out there kept wearing boots that do this in the past, I'm fascinated as to why you do it instead of repairing them or buying a new pair, does it almost become a challenge to see how far you can wear the heels down or how loose the heels will get before you have to give in.  

Thanks.

A heel started to come away on a pair of boots when I was walking around Bridgnorth once. It's amazing the number of people who came up to me to notify me of it as if they thought I hadn't noticed.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

If I feel that a heel is the slightest bit loose I'll stop wearing that pair until I can get it repaired. I figure that even wearing a good pair of heels can put a lot of strain on parts of the foot, and risking the injury from a loose heel just isn't worth it.

I can't imagine that the young lady you saw at the airport keeps wearing those boots repeatedly while knowing that one of the heels is broken, I can only presume that the heel had just broken but she didn't have an alternative to change into. Maybe there's a fashion aspect to wearing torn tights or distressed denim, and maybe even heavily worn shoes, but I just can't imagine that extending to a broken heel.

If you like it, wear it.

Though it was a pair of super tall pumps I saw the situation at my nephew's wedding with one of the bride's maids. It drove me insane to see it and I didn't understand how she was so casual about it. The shoes were tattered so I suspect she knew about the weak heel when she chose her shoes.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

I've had to get a friend to cut favourite old shoes up before now just because I cann't bear to throw them away. However I can't say I've ever worn them to death like that. Certainly not in public anyway.

If women will wear pajamas in public, they'll wear anything.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I was out shopping with my mom and we ran into a gal that had to be 70 years old, wearing a pair of well worn pumps. The 4" heels were bent to the side and the tips were worn completely off, but she was still wearing them. I could tell she had some money, so it was not like she had no other shoes. Apparently this trashed pair of pumps were here favorites. I remember her well, she was very atractive, nice body, dressed well, full of fire and liked to socialize. If I was a single man I might have asked for a date even though she was 20 years older than me. she might have been fun!

I've seen some very well-dressed older people, I think it's great that despite being surrounded by disapproval they still enjoy fashion and expressing feeling young at heart. However, if I had a favourite pair of heels I'd definitely get the heel tips replaced, but then I'm usually quite precious about keeping my heels in good condition. I guess I did have one pair of heels that were a little bit trashed and there was something fun about wearing them and not caring if they sustained more damage, but I'd never entirely liked that pair, they were a bit too low-cut, tight-fitting and unflattering and I always intended to replace them with a better pair. I can't imagine wanting to trash an absolute favourite pair of heels.

If you like it, wear it.

I've had to get a friend to cut favourite old shoes up before now just because I cann't bear to throw them away. However I can't say I've ever worn them to death like that. Certainly not in public anyway.

No, favourite shoes become a part of you.  I was going to be facetious, but I imagine old favourite shoes are a boon to you at home.

Wearing damaged or eroded and wobbly heels is an accident waiting to happen, especially if the heels were suppose to be high. The stress heels are geared for should be maintained by not letting the tips erode away to where the heel is being damaged. A shortened heel tends to place the impact stresses more on the shaft and the seating, which is more likely to brake the shaft and/or separate the seat of the heel to the upper. It may also cause a person to practice a kind of walking deformity that may develop into a permanent process which could limit their ability to wear other heels properly. So keep your footwear in good repair and only wear good quality.   

As if it would actually be that easy to cleanly cut off the heels with a machete. 

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

You expect any level of realism in a Hollywood movie?

Not really.

• 2 years later...

This kind of thing fascinates me- so much that I joined the forum to discuss!

To the women out there- when you wear worn out shoes, do you do it because you love the shoes?  Or is there something thrilling about it, i.e. enjoying a sensation of power, or something like that?

Years ago I had a girlfriend that didn't have much money, and she had exactly one pair of heels.  She didn't need them very often, but because they were so old, they were in really sad shape.  She was heavy and she walked on the outer sides of her feet, so not only was the leather distressed and cracked, and the insides splitting apart, and the soles worn thin, but the heels were completely worn down and the shoes leaned to the sides.  I don't think it fazed her- either that or she found a way to get used to it.

I'm not a woman but I have done this so I can understand this behavior.

In the late 70' early 80's I acquired a pair of lace up shooties from my first wife. I have no idea what size they were, but they were tight on my feet. I LOVED those shoes. Favorite dress shoes by far. I wore them into the 90's, then about 1995 they disintegrated on day.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion heels are supposed to help you look better, more elegant and sexy.  Worn out shoes don't do that.  It's not the same as wearing a worn out pair of sneakers.  Heels are supposed to look dressed up and sophisticated.   So no… I haven't worn them after they get worn out. Also some of these problems are caused by the way the woman walks.   I see some woman walking with their ankles turned in and not nice and straight.  This isn't sexy to watch and will make them wear out the same way rollerblade wheels can wear on the inside of the wheel with inexperienced users.   If I see heels that are worn so that they are not straight I know the woman has not been working correctly in them.

• Thanks 1

Hello 

i totally agree with you.

i also don't like seeing women walking with turned in ankles. 

I won't try to find areal excuse and it seems that often these women are just not wearing the right shoes. 

Or they are not able to master such a height or the shoes don't fit. 

It already happens to me. It was impossible to keep the feet in the right position with a 14 heel expensive French brand and very easy with an Italian 15 nearly 3 times less expensive one. 

What should we think?

Pierre 

5 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

In my opinion heels are supposed to help you look better, more elegant and sexy.  Worn out shoes don't do that.  It's not the same as wearing a worn out pair of sneakers.  Heels are supposed to look dressed up and sophisticated.   So no… I haven't worn them after they get worn out. Also some of these problems are caused by the way the woman walks.   I see some woman walking with their ankles turned in and not nice and straight.  This isn't sexy to watch and will make them wear out the same way rollerblade wheels can wear on the inside of the wheel with inexperienced users.   If I see heels that are worn so that they are not straight I know the woman has not been working correctly in them.