Wearing Heels At The Mall Today

AZShoeNut

Howdy,

So I went to the mall today wearing my black suede Brash Lunar wedges that are in my avatar pic.

I have spent periods where I would go out in heels for coffee before work several times a week.  I have also done two Halloween parties in heels and a handful of fund raisers in heels.  What just about all of my previous heeling experiences have had in common is that they were all well planned so that I was either unlikely to run into anybody that my wife and I knew or that they were easily exlain-able.  Today’s trip to the mall was my first real risk it all, out there in public heeling experience.

There were both positive and negative aspects to my experience today.

Even though I am again more heavy than I would like to be I did like how my skinnier, Levi 510 jeans played well with my heels.  My heels certainly were not hidden and the bottom of the jeans ran just a hair below the top of the back of shoes leaving 99% of my shoes exposed.

I did enjoy being able to walk so much in my heels.  The mall here in Sacramento is a pretty lengthy one.  I walked the full length of the mall at least three times and quite possibly four.  I lost track  I believe that I walked pretty well and I did it at a casual pace.  I recall that a gal in high school told me that after a while her heels felt, for the most part, like wearing any other of her shoes.  I remember being shocked that a pair of heels might seem as normal as any other pair of shoes after a bit of time in them and didn’t really believe her.  Well, today I walked enough that my heels just didn’t seem that high by the time I headed back to my car.

I stopped in a number of shoe stores but none of the them went up to size 12.  One went to 11 but the rest stopped at 10.  There are some awesome styles out there though for the folks with smaller feet.  Unfortunately, I would have to go back to sixth grade in order to fit into size 10.  Bummer.

I did go into a Torrid and I tried on a pair of boots.  Ultimately I didn’t care for them and didn't get them.  When I entered the store it was calm with only one other customer.  By the time I was taking the boots off the store had become a zoo.  When I stood up after putting my shoes back on I turned right into a high school aged boy with his dad and mom and he had his cell phone pointed right at me taking a picture.  He wasn’t even trying to be discrete.  As the letters WTF flowed through my mind I just made my way through the crowd toward the front of the store and re-entered the mall.

I continued up to a map of the mall where I looked for the Payless.  I had read online that this mall had a Payless but it was nowhere on the directory.  It was a bummer because I figured that I could try on more shoes there and quite possibly be more social with the staff.

I then headed back through the mall to find a coffee place.  While I was walking I saw an older husband and wife and the husband whispered in the wife’s ear.  Her head turned right toward me but she kept her eyes low clearly checking out my shoes.  By the time I found a Starbucks I decided that instead I wanted to go to the Barnes and Noble out on the perimeter of the mall, grab a magazine and read it at their coffee bar.  As I walked back to my car to drive over to the BNN I saw a couple teenage girls standing at the entrance to the parking garage.  They saw me approaching and then paused and stepped to the side watching to see if I went their way.  I did go their way and as I got closer they turned their backs to me.  Just after I passed, one of them blurted out, “lady.”  I didn’t hear anything else as I walked to my car.

After the kid with the cell phone and the two girls my energy was a bit lower.  I parked outside of the Barnes and Noble and attempted to bring up my confidence back up.

Well after a couple minutes I had gotten my confidence back so I stepped out of the car and made my way toward the entrance.  I had to cross a main entrance to the mall to get to the book store.  I waited for a couple cars and then made my way across.  The next car entering pulled halfway in and had to wait for me to finish crossing in order to continue.  As I stepped up on the curb, one of the passengers yelled out his window ‘What the f@$&” at me.  I kept walking, telling myself that this was not going to drag me down, that I would be fine, and that I can just keep moving and go enjoy coffee with a magazine.  Well I entered the store and found the layout to be completely different than any other BNN I have ever been in.  I couldn’t find the magazines, and there did not appear to be a coffee bar.  At that point my confidence plummeted.  I made a quick loop around the new fiction section and headed back out to my car.

Crazy how this whole high heel thing works.  I was really looking forward to today and I have to say that I walked away feeling a good deal less than before.  As people have said before, wearing heels as a guy out in public takes some, for lack of better term, balls.  I really thought that I had those balls but I kind of went home with my tail between my legs.  On the way home I changed and sat for a few at a Starbucks.  The thought that I have to get back on the horse kept going through my mind.  Not sure when or how that will work out but I am sure that sooner or later it will.

Also, while I was at that Starbucks I saw a gal walk through in a great pair of heels.  There I was mentally reviewing my experience in heels, questioning just how I was going to get back out in them again and then I noticed a gal wearing a great pair of heels and wishing that I could do it too.  So, as I said above, Crazy how this whole high heel thing works.

So the high points of today include actually getting out in heels, walking a good distance in my heels, and being happy with my “work in progress” style.  The low points include the way I felt when I saw the kid with the camera, the very vulnerable and uneasy way that I felt when the guys in the car yelled at me, and the missing skin that I have on the inside of my left heel which was something that I totally did not anticipate.  I am sure that I will get out again in the future.  Perhaps I can find a place that is a little less “ghetto” where people are less likely to go yelling out four letter words over something as simple as a pair of shoes.

Anyhow, that was my most recent experience out in heels.

Best,

Larry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Larry,

First of all, thank you for sharing your latest adventure with us. You've really been on a mental roller coaster! But on balance I think you came out pretty well. You kept in control of all of your reactions, which for the most part sounded exactly like the right reactions (or in some cases no reaction). You know people are going to notice. The real question is whether they are accepting of what they see (most are) or whether they act immaturely, rudely, or terribly impolitely (a few but they're the loudest and most memorable). A long day can contain any or all of the above.

But looking back on the day, you did well. Your head is still on your shoulders, you didn't get beaten up, and your enthusiasm, though a tad diluted, is still intact (or you would not even be considering a next time). So I think you had a good time in heels on balance (pun intended) and I think you should repeat it again as soon as you have the opportunity. The more often you do it, the easier it gets, to the point where you don't even notice people noticing you (or caring if they do).

Steve

I haven't noticed anyone with camera's yet, and the chuckles for the kinds have been behind my back, so maybe I've been lucky so far.

Was out at the somewhat local mall saturday (it's far enough away that it's not likely to run into anyone I know) but I had on long flareed jeans over black chunky heals that are quiet. I'm sure I was noticed, but I didn't observe it. I still want to try my black skinnies and pink platform pumps this month, but I'd prefer to do this away from my home turf.

With more camera cell phones emerging, it has been a bit harder to go out in heels.  I have gone to a mall only twice in my high heel boots.  And it has been a few years since I've tried that.  If only people could show more tolerance and respect.

AZShoeNut - Hope your heeling adventures at a mall gets better.  I would retract a bit and go out in safer places at safer times.  Going to Starbucks, early morning has worked for me.  Pumping gas early morning, or late nights also get less attention.  Shorter trips can also help to you to regain your confidence.

It seems that the lowest common denominator among humanity hangs out at malls, mostly irresponsible teenagers and, sometimes, young adults who lack the societal skills, or just plain don't give a damn about being respectful to others and think that anything they see as odd or strange is rife for amusement and/or derision. Even when I'm not jaunting at the mall, I see that sort of lowbrow behavior by kids there almost all the time, and often when they're in packs like animals. Revolting to say the least. That said, AZShoeNut, I fully understand the consternation you experienced, but I hope that doesn't stop you from enjoying outings, just steer clear of malls until you can build up your confidence.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

If only people could show more tolerance and respect.

Seems they were tolerant to me. Respect like acceptance is something you need to earn. Just as they tolerate a person wearing them, one has to tolerate what they may think or say.

This is the oldest lame excuse among male heel wearers. Sorry if it sounds like I'm not sympathetic. Truth is, I'm not.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

If you go where people are hanging out because they're bored, you'll get more negative reaction. Try grocery shopping at a distant store away from your normal circles of aquaintence. People there are busy and preoccupied, it's unlikely you'll encounter someone you know.

I've done stilleto pumps with jeans and a tee in malls, home centers, hardware stores and restuarants, and I never had as much negative reaction as you've gotten. Keep trying, your confidence will grow, and you may find this outing was an anomaly.

The mall is not the place to go. Too Many people just sitting around bored and watching other people. Plus you are out in the open more. Also if you want to wear heels start with boots with thicker heels that are not so obvious. Don't wear other clothing that will draw attention to you like skinny jeans.

This all takes time. Take Me for example. I dress like a man except I wear heels every day even to work. The jeans I have on are woman's Jean's but they are not obvious. Take small steps in working up to where you want to be with what you want to wear. It's not about walking around with confidence or attitude as some may say it's about not giving a s#!^ what others think and the desire to wear heels over coming the give a s#!^ factor. Then it will just be about going about every day life while wearing heels.

Like going to Lowe's and just parking your car, getting out and just going in. No sitting in the car getting up the nerve to go in. But it all starts with what you wear and yes, how you hide them. Some may look but they are not quite sure what they see.

Now I am at the point where there are times I want people to see just to see how they react. But it all comes with time.

I hear ya, brother. I got heckled by a carful of teenaged boys in the grocery store parking lot one evening last summer. I was wearing shorts that were close fitting, but not that tight, and not that short, with somewhat thicker than stiletto heeled sandals and a close fitting t-shirt. They evidently didn't have the balls to actually stop and talk to me, but it really took the wind out of my sails for a couple of days.

I went to get a haircut the next day, and the older lady who usually cuts my hair asked why I wasn't wearing heels. I told her that I didn't have the mental energy to be gawked at today. She seemed surprised that somebody was giving me a hard time, and said that people should be able to wear what they want. That gave me the confidence to put the heels back on, but I didn't wear the shorts/heels combo very much more after that incident. However, since that time, I rarely leave the house in less than a 4 inch heel, unless I'm going to work.

There will be other, more pleasant heeling days in the future. Hang in there!

Larry, I'll echo everyone else's encouragement, you certainly didn't handle any of those situations wrong. I had plenty of "tail between my legs" (or as mlroseplant says "wind out of my sails") moments early on in my heeling. I think with those early adventures it's natural to feel anxiety, and that makes us hypersensitive to people's reactions. Whether it's the kid with the phone, the teenage girls or the guy in the car, what they did was only an expression of their narrow-minds and lack of manners, it in no way makes less of a decent person of you. In time you learn to just brush off reactions like that and think nothing of it, so while it's natural to feel that your confidence has taken a bit of a knock, you'll bounce back stronger. The bad reactions fall away, the good reactions stick.

Those are really nice wedges by the way, and as you described them they must've looked great with the jeans.

If you like it, wear it.

After the kid with the cell phone and the two girls my energy was a bit lower.  I parked outside of the Barnes and Noble and attempted to bring up my confidence back up.

I read your post this morning and can only say that I feel with you. Even though I think I am quite confident already, I still have those moments where I sometimes think "why am I doing this?". Kids with cell phones, people staring at you, rude comments, I've had it all.

But then again, I also had positive moments - and if you have those, they outweight the negative ones, as people really mean it. Like the girl that told me that these are really cool boots. Or the hairdresser that I had a conversation with about the wedges I was wearing and that she really adored them. Or my cobbler, with whom I can talk about my shoe collection for hours and hours (ok, I am probably one of his best customers, but nonetheless).

For me, the whole freestyle-thing is about my personal freedom. And I won't let anyone with a phone take this away from me.

We are living in a time where there are 1.2 smartphones per person. Everyone has one. Most of them come with a camera. Be prepared to be photographed or taped and then youtubed, facebooked, twittered or whatever.

At some point, I will probably buy one of those small action cameras and let them peek out of my bag to my BACK, so I can view the reactions of people passing by on video...

Unfortunately, I have not encountered any of the stuff that you described.  Or if there has been any negativity I have not seen or heard it.  Don't let a few "yokels" ruin you.  Just keep pushin!

Seems they were tolerant to me. Respect like acceptance is something you need to earn. Just as they tolerate a person wearing them, one has to tolerate what they may think or say.

This is the oldest lame excuse among male heel wearers. Sorry if it sounds like I'm not sympathetic. Truth is, I'm not.

Just wishful thinking that's all.  Of course when you go out in public, you are dealing with the public.  It goes with the territory.

But on balance I think you came out pretty well. You kept in control of all of your reactions, which for the most part sounded exactly like the right reactions (or in some cases no reaction).

Thank you, Steve. I would say that the sum of the day was in the positive, too. Practice makes perfect. I think that my area for practice is letting any reactions that do not feel good slide like water off a ducks back.

Hope your heeling adventures at a mall gets better.

Thank you. I am not so sure that I will retract however as I get to know my new town better I will make wiser choices of venue.

It seems that the lowest common denominator among humanity hangs out at malls, mostly irresponsible teenagers and, sometimes, young adults who lack the societal skills, or just plain don't give a damn about being respectful to others and think that anything they see as odd or strange is rife for amusement and/or derision. Even when I'm not jaunting at the mall, I see that sort of lowbrow behavior by kids there almost all the time, and often when they're in packs like animals. Revolting to say the least. That said, AZShoeNut, I fully understand the consternation you experienced, but I hope that doesn't stop you from enjoying outings, just steer clear of malls until you can build up your confidence.

Thank you, Jeff. Yeah, I had not factored into my planning the fact that the folks at the mall could very well be there because they are bored and looking for “trouble.”

I have been spoiled by the mall down the street from my home, Westfield Galleria. That place is a class act and the people in the mall so far seem to be equally classy. I wouldn’t hesitate wearing heels there except that it is so close to home and per my my agreement with my wife I don’t go heeling that close to home.

I would not say that I was looking for tolerance or acceptance from the other folks in the mall. I certainly knew that the potential for both good reactions and poor reactions was at hand and I believe that everybody has the right to their reaction and whatever emotional response they have to it. I was, I thought, prepared for the poor reactions. What I found was that even though I believe people have the right to their reactions, that what they think of me is ultimately none of my business, and I had mental pick-me-up ideas readily at hand should any poor reactions occur that still it “took the wind out of my sails.” I did not anticipate that. Rather than seeking sympathy my post was, to me, more about sharing my experience and seeing how others handled it when the wind unexpectedly left the sails.

Keep trying, your confidence will grow, and you may find this outing was an anomaly.

Thank you. That is exactly what I anticipate. I think that I am going to find some nicer places in Roseville and go shopping. I still want to find a nice outdoor mall that has upscale customers. I find that folks in an upscale setting typically avoid heckling or other rude behavior of that nature.

The mall is not the place to go. Too Many people just sitting around bored and watching other people. Plus you are out in the open more. Also if you want to wear heels start with boots with thicker heels that are not so obvious. Don't wear other clothing that will draw attention to you like skinny jeans.

This all takes time. Take Me for example. I dress like a man except I wear heels every day even to work. The jeans I have on are woman's Jean's but they are not obvious. Take small steps in working up to where you want to be with what you want to wear. It's not about walking around with confidence or attitude as some may say it's about not giving a s#!^ what others think and the desire to wear heels over coming the give a s#!^ factor. Then it will just be about going about every day life while wearing heels.

Like going to Lowe's and just parking your car, getting out and just going in. No sitting in the car getting up the nerve to go in. But it all starts with what you wear and yes, how you hide them. Some may look but they are not quite sure what they see.

Now I am at the point where there are times I want people to see just to see how they react. But it all comes with time.

Thank you. I have to say that hiding my heels feels more odd now days than being right up front with them. One thing that I have found is that there really is no hiding them. If you cannot see them then that fact alone is conspicuous. Also, my gait gives the heels away too. What I was hoping to accomplish with this trip to the mall was to give my mental preparation a shot. Well I found that I still have a little work to do.

Now the intention of wearing the skinnier jeans was not so much to grab attention as it was to wear something that actually goes with heels. I have seen pictures of me in my non-skinny jeans and heels and that image is just appalling. The Levi 510 jeans were intended to make the image just a tad less unpleasant.

So, I think that I just need to update my strategy, blend in more “I don’t give a s#!@“, and seek out a more upscale setting and a shopping area in a nice part of town that is not so close as to make my wife nervous.

It is a work in progress.

There will be other, more pleasant heeling days in the future. Hang in there!

Thank you, I will. Thank you for sharing your experience with heckling. Reading about these experiences from folks here who I really respect, including you, really helps steady the horse for the next ride.

Larry, I'll echo everyone else's encouragement, you certainly didn't handle any of those situations wrong. I had plenty of "tail between my legs" (or as mlroseplant says "wind out of my sails") moments early on in my heeling. I think with those early adventures it's natural to feel anxiety, and that makes us hypersensitive to people's reactions. Whether it's the kid with the phone, the teenage girls or the guy in the car, what they did was only an expression of their narrow-minds and lack of manners, it in no way makes less of a decent person of you. In time you learn to just brush off reactions like that and think nothing of it, so while it's natural to feel that your confidence has taken a bit of a knock, you'll bounce back stronger. The bad reactions fall away, the good reactions stick.

Those are really nice wedges by the way, and as you described them they must've looked great with the jeans.

Thank you SleekHeels. I think you are right. The positive reactions really leave you with a glow that lasts. Also, thank you for the compliment of the look as described. I love the way the styling of a pair of pumps falls away below the hem of a pair of jeans. These jeans got that part just right, as best I could tell.

Unfortunately, I have not encountered any of the stuff that you described.  Or if there has been any negativity I have not seen or heard it.  Don't let a few "yokels" ruin you.  Just keep pushin!

Thank you, sir. That is exactly what they were, yokels. :-) But, I guess, yokels too are entitled to their opinion and their choice of how to express it. A little more water off a ducks back and all will be good.

I just have to say that I am really grateful for all of the responses.  They all certainly are helping to pump me up for my next outing.

I feel like I have a ton more to reply however that toddler of mine really leaves me and the Mrs. beat at the end of a week day.

Thanks again,

Larry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

As long as I'm wearing the heels I prefer, the reaction of others has to be considered part of the scene, since I'm forcing an unexpected surprise appearance on people who haven't really been familiar with a guy in heels. I wear my stilettos much the same way gals wear theirs with boot-cut jeans, usually with the toe box, single soled or up to a one and a quarter inch platformed, being revealed along with maybe 2 to 3 inches of usually fairly thin 4 to 5.5 inch high stiletto heels. I think my heels are usually spotted as I approach and their eye tend to stare down, at the toe box being as they are usually patent leather and either pointed or almond to rounded shaped. Then they see the heels as I am leaving, which usually means I'm not aware of their total reaction. When I'm shopping and standing to pick items, people don't seem to care that I'm wearing stiletto pumps, for they just go about their business. Occasionally, I'll get a smile, but that is about it. I have been wearing at least 4" heels to get my hair trimmed and a while back I wore some light beige colored stilettos and my attendant and the others in the area wouldn't acknowledge my footwear, even though they were obviously displayed. I guess it part of the unexpected syndrome they aren't prepared to deal with yet. Maybe later, after a few more visits they'll loosen up and they will expect my heeling appearances.

Anyway, heeling is a personal choice and others won't understand the feeling of satisfaction such activity has to offer as long as they continue in their ignorance and judgmental bigotry. By the way, how are they suppose to know they can have and share such experiences if they don't see other guys actively engaged wearing heels. They may scoff now, but once heeling by guys is an everyday occurrence, they could learn a bit more about tolerance and even experience heeling on their own.

I have been exactly where you are. The desire to wear heels is like a burning knife in your chest. You just want to go about everyday life and not have to worry about what someone will thunk or say about what is on your feet.

I have sat in my car scarred to get out. I have searched out the empty parking lots or closed shopping centers or the dark streets of a neighborhood to walk around in. I have been there and so have many others here.

save the pumps and the wedges for home and find something that will work as a daily shoe.

Start with a lower heel. I started with about a 1.5 inch rubber chunky heel. If you looked at the boots on a man you might even think they were for a man. I am talking about shoes I wore everyday and to work.

Find pants that are tight(er) around the ankle so not so much of the toe of the shoe is covered but long enough to cover the heel. Thus is part of the reason I switched to woman's jeans. I think if men new how comfortable woman's jeans are more would be wearing them.

Work- gotta go

Well done Larry.    You handled the situation for those instances . If you enjoy it do not change.     My day was at the Dayton Mall October 25, 2014 was at the DSW Shoe store for Shoelover day! I figured  this would be the place to wear some heels and celebrate my love for high heels.   I was nervous and decided to go right when the store opened.   Been out  wearing heels  before but only briefly and mostly at night.     I wanted to get a free t-shirt that says shoelover and see if I could win a free pair of shoes or a gift certificate.   The fun part of the visit at DSW was those nice ladies see me in the store on a regular  basis and they know I come in and try on heels ( I am a size 9 and a half to a size 10 wide) even tho they do not keep in stock wide size heels I manage to find leather sandals and heels that do fit my man feet.) in 10s.    Anyway I pulled up at 10 on a saturday morning parked as close to the store as I could.   Put on my Franco Sarto Junia sandals with an almost 4 inch heel.   I was wearing a nice dark blue long sleeve button up shirt and a pair of ladies levi signature totally slimming boot cut jeans and this outfit looked nice for this occassion.  there was a mom and her daughter waiting at the door so I did wait until they walked in then I walked to the cross-walk I admit  I was thinking I was not looking smooth in my sway and confidence but I corrected the minor walking issue and everything was fine.   Walkin the store and I heard those ladies go( Mr Gibson is wearing high heels)   I did walk over and said HI as I always do and told these ladies I hope their shoelover day is a success and I will enjoy my visit and buy a pair of shoes.   Then I said what do you think of my Franco sartos? which I ordered online through DSW.   Pulled up  my pant legs  they loved them and told me they look perfect on me!   (along with the O.P.I Positivelly Pink Nail polish on my toenails) Made me smile.  So I walked around the store and went back to the clearance shelves  and found a pair of 2and a half inch heeled  sandals at a good price and the fit was fine I have the same pair in a different color but when sandals fit me right I do buy all the available colors.   Went up to the cash register and bought my new sandals.  Deserre (love her name) Said let me see those heels  you are wearing so I can take a picture I said sure.  I told her my wife did not want to come because she thought that it would make her uncomfortable having people see me in heels ( I respected my wifes  decision)       Deserre handed me my free shoelover t-shirt and a peel of coupon which I got 1000 bonus points (liked that)    And did look to my right to see 5 customers in line smiling and checking out my choice of foot wear.   Told the ladies thanks and have a nice day and my walk out of the store was very confident and and as I walked acrooss the road. A car stopped with 2 young ladies looked at my heels and I heard them say with a smile on their face   (That guy is wearing high heels)    So needless to say I will wear heels going into my local DSW from now on.   IT was a GREAT  DAY!    Sincerely Michael.

Great story, Michael! Thanks for sharing. Bluejay and I have walked into a DSW more than once and gotten good vibes from the staff as well as from other customers! It's always nice to be among other shoe lovers!

Steve

Great post, gibby about your visit to DSW, on National Shoe Lovers Day. I missed going this year, but last year, I had my picture taken with all the associates. I was the guy in heels. That pic made it on the internet, for DSW's, National Shoe Lovers Day. I got my red t-shirt and I'm still running into DSW, associates that remember, being in the picture, last year. One associate, now works in the shoe department at Penny's. We still address eash other as shoe lover (first name) when we meet, at Penny's.

Glad you enjoyed yourself, heeling at DSW. I'm always in heels when I go into DSW to shop. The associates are always very helpful and the other women customers, really don't care if a man is in their side of the store.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

It sounds like a fun initiative by DSW to have a National Shoe Lovers Day promotion. It's a nice way to break the ice with sales staff and other customers, although I try to do that whenever I'm out shopping for heels anyway.

A couple of weeks ago I was at a mall and the lady in front of my on the escalator was wearing a jumper with pictures of shoes all over it. I said to her "Wow, I love your jumper! Do you own that many shoes?" and she said "Well, thinking about it I probably do!". I said "hopefully I'm not too far behind you" and pointed at the heels I was wearing (cream stiletto court slingbacks, 3½" heel, bare legs and above the knee skirt), and she replied "Hey, you can never have too many shoes!". It was just a really nice innocent chat with a fellow shoe enthusiast at the mall, but I don't think I (or she) would have felt nearly as relaxed about it if I hadn't been wearing my heels.

If you like it, wear it.

Been out  wearing heels  before but only briefly and mostly at night.  

Great outing!  DSW is not a unique place for heeling, although it is a good one.  Sounds like it's time for you to start venturing out to more places in the daytime, and there are lots of them.

Enjoy wearing your heels.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.