"Highest" in the room

e

Quote FF

It depends what you mean by equal. They share the same intellectual capabilities, which is one of the most important traits in todays society. .... Unquote

Sorry, FF, I beg to disagree ....

I don't want to spend too long straying off topic, but this popular, but erroneous, view needs correction.

I recount anecdotal evidience from my parents, both teachers, who saw the capabilities of more young, and unformed, minds than people in other professions. To them, it was obvious that boys were better at solving abstract problems, but girls far outstripped the boys in verbal reasoning and communication. Think back to when you were at Junior School, and how boys played with things and girls were always being told off for chattering.

Lately there is scientific evidence (Horizon TV prog about 1 month ago) that male and female brains differ, a small part of the hypothalamus being physically unlike. The evidence went on to show that this part of the brain, in the hormonally male body of a trans-sexual, was the female type.

Terayon sums it up quite well .... on average, there isn't much difference.

We could start a new topic in the general, but since it is here... X, you said boys were better at solving abstract problems, but girls far outstripped the boys in verbal reasoning and communication. Funny, because I am excellent with abstract problems AND excellent with verbal reasoning and communication. I'm certainly not going to fit into a category. :smile: Sure, in general, the observation may be true, but is there any influence in this development, even at very young ages? Do childhood activities set up the brain? If so, then these are stereotypical responses created by stereotypical ways of raising boys vs raising girls. NOW we have an intersting basis for a study. B)

This BBC millenium babies series was also shown on Belgian television. It is excellent and I recommend everybody to look at it, it's bound to show up in any country like the Dynosaur series. It is a thorough investigation and follow up of 25 babies raised in different families and environments and some experiments are done at some times. The idea is to find out how outside factors influence the development and behavior of growing kids over a period of 20 years (the babies are 1 year now). So far it was very obvious the fathers had a very rigid and stereotype idea about raising their kid into well defined sex boundary limits compared to the open minded mothers who allowed their kids more freedom in self development.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

equality, as with everything, is judged by people. every person has different thoughts and ideas on any given subject, so a fair compromise can never seem to be agreed on while some disagree. while there may have been a gender specific set of values present before now, that would not seem to apply in this day and age when we all can show the same traits regardless of gender, background or belief. the previous posts all seem to conform to this. physical differences will always be prominent, but it's how we think, perceive and react that makes us all similar. no-one will ever truly be equal while there are individuals who continue to advance any given field, be that sports, theory, art or just plain common sense. if we were all equal, there would be no diversity in the world and what a dull world it would be. think about it. everyone as fast, as strong and as smart. the world would grind to a halt while everyone argues over who's going to do it and then the argument of equality would flare up again. "my waffle is done!"

Quote Laurie: "X, you said boys were better at solving abstract problems, but girls far outstripped the boys in verbal reasoning and communication. Funny, because I am excellent with abstract problems AND excellent with verbal reasoning and communication. I'm certainly not going to fit into a category" .... Unqote I'm the same. I solve abstract problems and am excellent with verbal reasoning. To come back to Xaphod's query of my statement that men and women share the same intellectual capabilities, it is Xaphod that is wrong not me. Men and women when tested on IQ are absolutely identical in peformance across the population. IQ includes tests on both verbal and abstract reasoning. It has been shown, in some studies, that men are (on average) better in spatial awareness tests while women's verbal skills are better develped. However, OVERALL intellectual capability is identical and in many of us, both traits are developed to a high degree. Which is all confirmed by what Francis says "... we all can show the same traits regardless of gender, background or belief. the previous posts all seem to conform to this..." So men and women DO share the same intellectual capability and overall reasoning power. If they didn't then why do we give men (or women) the right to vote in developed societies? The only reason didn't before was that women were unfairly supressed previously in societies where physical and historical prowess held an anachronistic influence. Thankfully those notions are now buried in the past. If anyone wants to debate this further, can they start a m v f intellectual prowess thread please. This is getting away from "the highest in the room" theme. _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-04-01 23:54 ]</font>

As mod here, Inga, thanks for allowing us to tease (can't we have an icon for evil grin ? ) ------------------------------------------ Certain people aren't much impressed by IQ figures .... they just indicate the ability to pass IQ tests ! I agree that girls and boys score near as dammit identically in IQ tests, tests carefully devised to be insensitive to the effects of cultural background, gender and, although difficult, reading ability. Really, Laurie and Firefox, I'm surprised at you! It's doubtful that you would suggest that the statistical sample 'I' is big enough to be significant, so it must be you consider that, fortuitously, you happen to be fully representative of the 'bang in the middle' average of the whole human range of abilities .... tut tut :smile: ------------------------------------------ BTW, Francis said "if we were all equal, there would be no diversity in the world and what a dull world it would be." .... too damn true !

Hi, Laurie, I know you are anything but run-of-the-mill. I'm sorry if you thought I didn't believe that. I just used the technique of applying argument to a premise to create an absurd conclusion, thereby implying the premise was wrong .... it's called 'reduction to the absurd' and has a Latin name which I can't remember, in case someone nitpicks my crappy Latin. As it happened, I managed to create a conundrum which served the purpose and, what I found delicious, it put a pinprick in the odd ego as well. As for egos, mine has been running around creating havoc for the last few posts. I've got it cornered now, so, soon it should back in it's box for a while.

Xaphod, the only thing that I thoght was that you were trying to find a flaw in the argument and poking fun at it. No offense taken, and I didn't think you doubted me or didn't believe me. My ego gets stuffed into a lock box and thrown into a figurative ocean, but sometimes the ego thinks "Hey, today I am HOUDINI" and wants to let everyone know just how different I am. It takes a minute or two to club the darn thing into submission. I relate to how you feel. :smile:

• 2 months later...

I'm not so fussed about having the highest heels in a room (my highest are only 4 inches) but I do like to have the slimmest heels. Most of my friends don't wear heels often, and find it hard even with a thick block heel. So when I wear really slim stilleto heels, they always wonder how I manage to avoid twisting my ankles etc. That always gives me a good confidence boost!

• 2 weeks later...

Well Nata, I don't know. Sometimes I feel that having the highest heels is the only advantage I get. Large breasted, small waisted women run around, and men think sex and follow them. I need some way to set myself apart, and when the silicone brigade comes along, being the highest heeled and being the best at walking in them really makes me feel a bit superior for a change. There's an opinion for every situation, I guess.

• 1 year later...

Folks, just my 2 cents although I'm male. Lately I asked myself again what I really feel when I see a woman in high heeled shoes. I don't think sex or so - I feel envious, yes, I do feel that way. I always think: 'Damn, it should actually be me who is supposed to have the highest heels in the room but that girl I just spotted!'. Too bad that there are some limitations that it can't be that way!!! When returning home on a day like that I'll immediately pull out my 7" heels and spent the rest of the day in those... Sorry that I jumped in on that... CU! -Mike

I don't know about biology driving me towards something, I just like to feel like I can hold my own, but not really dominate.

Besides, I like being unique, and biology isn't always about that.

You're right - sometimes the difference in "Viva la differance!" has to do what who we are, what we believe in, and why, rather than the height of our heels. Take me, for example - successful businessman, etc., but I now enjoy wearing skirts and heels, the former only at home, but the latter in public, provided they're conservative.

Speaking of which, for reasons as of yet unknown to myself, my wife recently purchased a few new pairs of heels for me, of progressive heights. I told her I refused to wear them outside, but she said "that's not why I bought them, dear." I took her suggestion and have worked up to being "slightly" comfortable in 5" heels (the brown one on the right). As you can see, good old Fredericks forgot to adjust the length of the laces for larger sizes, so the top eyelets are empty...!

The first are very comfortable for me, with a 3.75" heel. I've actually worn these with long jeans out around town, recently, as they're quite comfortable for walking long distances and they're ok to stand in for a while.

Posted Image

The next pair, from Payless, sport a full 4.5" heel, so I find them a bit of a challange. They're not nearly as well-built as the previous ones, but they'll last a season:

Posted Image

This last pair, again from Fredericks, are nearly impossible. I've been following my wife's advice to start the evening in a low pair of heels (3") and every twenty minutes slide into a pair with the next higher heel.

Until know, I couldn't wear anything higher than a 4" heel without pain. Now, however, I can comfortably wear the 4.5" heel, above, half the evening, while the 5" heel, below, remains quite a challenge!

Posted Image

The good news is I know I won't have to trust walking about town in these - the heel feels like it could snap at any time, and the uppers are quite uncomfortable.

Although she's keeping mum, perhaps you, knowing my past as you do, might share some light on the issue as to why she's encouraging me to wear higher heels? Personally, I'm not against it, but publically the heeled boot I use on my icon is about the most I care to wear in public.

Personally, I suspect it's just her way of playing around, as she does the same thing with her own heels, and knowing that I wear heels (ankle problem relief) she nonetheless is playfully including me in her playing around - more so as she's purchased a few significantly higher heels, herself in recent months, and usually accompanies me when I venture out in a pair of conservative heels/jeans, as in my icon to the left.

Does this make sense, or am I just overanalyzing it, as guys tend to do?

One thing's for sure, and I say this with the full understanding that others on this board might not share my opinion: I am a guy. I think like one, and I like others to think of me as one. Nevertheless, I really hate it when people try to slam-dunk you into a pigeon-hole when your outlook on life is a bit more broad than average. I didn't ask for my ankle problems, but it's resulted in a significantly broader, more understanding perspective on the wide range of styles enjoyed by many fine, intelligent, and decent human beings. I now enjoy wearing heels, and as a Scot (1/4, by blood), I've long thought the idea of men wearing skirts is perfectly acceptable, and have done so on several occasions (and in a real skirt, not a kilt!) here in Vegas. See enclosed pictures for a quick look at the edge of one of my most comfortable favorites, which is a simple ankle-length jeans skirt from Roamans (I prefer full-length skirts to kilts, which I feel show far too much leg - ugh for both myself and my wife!

I sincerely hope that my non-eventful transgender choices of apparel with respect to heels and skirts broaden the horizons for others to follow to their hearts desire. As always, it remains my goal to expand the horizons, not shock it to such as extent that the reactionary police and citzen populace react with alarm and pass legislation that shuts down the option for decades to come.

If anyone doesn't believe this is possible, please consider the notion of streakers. Nude beaches here in America (and elsewhere in the World) are reasonably common, yet streakers are prohibited.

Why?

It's because it's a case of "too much, too soon."

Give it time, and the time will come when walking down Main Street in a thong and nothing else is legal.

Try to over-zealously "push the boundaries," however, and the citizens will react in outrage, calling up the legislature to legislate your behavior out of existance (won't work, but it will delay the acceptance process by a couple of decades!).

Anyway... Your thoughts???

Anyone else's???

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Laurie, I have the same experience as you. It's not often, but it happens. My advantege is high heels. My biggest "threat" is my cousin Marita who always wear high heels. There's a real competition between us (for fun ofcourse) who wears the highest heel and we always compare our stilettos when we meet. We reached the limit of 5" and if it's get's higher I will be surprised. In my size 5 and her 6 (UK) it's high enough for casual wear. (We both ran in them to catch a bus.) It's really fun to have a "soul"-friend, if you know what I mean, to share your interest with. We both order shoes and boots from ERNEST, check their excellent site. Qualite and design is extremely good. They even send us a real catalogue by snail-mail. Keep on struttin' :roll:

"Vanity is my life and that's my name."

I just love High heels.

Vanity wrote:

We both order shoes and boots from ERNEST, check their excellent site.

What's their internet website address??

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

www.ernest.fr

They are expensive, but good quality. Sometimes, a little intelligent research will turn up apparently same shoe from a source supplier at a significantly lower price.

Xa

Xaphod, just a comment to what you answered. Ernest are expensive, yes, but to keep up their service, which is excellent as I said, perhaps they have to be just that. They even send me a real catalogue by snail-mail. Guess if it's nice to recieve the brightly-coloured spring/summer issue in the end of winter. It's the perfect company with a glass of whine in the hot bath. On the other end you have unreliable "cheap" companies like Archenemy and a lot of others, especially in US. No, I recommend Ernest, if you can afford it. You can be sure to be satisfied! :roll:

"Vanity is my life and that's my name."

I just love High heels.