The Stigma And Power Of Thigh High Boots

JeffB

When I took up the mantle of freestyling, I did as much research as I could on fashion, on what women wear and what they consider stylish. Since my personal mission statement (seen in my signature) is to dress like a woman, I felt I had to know and understand the ins and outs of that objective from head to toe. Especially the toe part after I was introduced to the magical world of thigh high boots by Thighbootguy. Wearing thigh boots is quite the tricky bit of business, even for women because most people associate them with Pretty Woman, in fact, in a goodly number of online “how to” articles I've read on how to wear those boots, that movie almost always comes up because of the inevitable (and, in my highly biased opinion, unwarranted) connection between thigh boots and hookers, thanks to what Julia Roberts wore in her breakout film role.

Now, despite that particular stigma, that didn't stop me from wanting to wear thigh boots to see what it was like after reading TBG’s exploits, and it was flat out amazing. Paired with tight fitting jeans, I presented a sleek, dynamic figure while I felt strong and emboldened because I wore footwear that was so daring, even women give it a wide berth, and here I was, a man strutting about in the things. Since I've traded my jeans for skirts on all my outings, pairing a miniskirt with thigh highs makes for an even bolder, stronger, more dynamic image, and I don't mind saying I feel absolutely powerful because I'm more daring in my presentation which says to the world, “SCREW YOU!” when it comes to gender, clothing and what men should or shouldn't wear. To me, I see wearing thigh boots as a guy as the ultimate act of defiance when it comes to fashion, and I enjoy that immensely. As for the stigma of thigh boots being associated with hookers, especially when paired with short skirts, I don't subscribe to that nonsense, and I'm sure Thighbootguy doesn't either, we wear what we like because it looks good on us, nothing more, nothing less.

As for other guys here who've taken the plunge and gave thigh boots a try (whether with jeans or skirts), how do you feel when you wear them? Do you experience the sort of power I mentioned? What's your opinion on the so-called stigma associated with them? Do you believe that exists or regard it as so much garbage? What do you think?

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I wear them all the time in the winter.

Yep, that's my preference.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I've never worn thigh boots. There was (and maybe still is in some parts) a similar stigma with fishnets but whenever I've worn them it's been in the spirit of challenging the stigma to say "it's just fashion and fun", and I think if I do ever wear thigh boots it would be with the same attitude. It could be argued that diffusing the stigma diffuses the power too, but I wear my high heels without any sense of stigma but they still feel fun, sexy, confident and powerful. I wouldn't say that the stigma is "garbage" as such: sure the stigma is entirely disposable as far as I'm concerned, but for others it may be central to their enjoyment of wearing thigh boots or heels in general.

If you like it, wear it.

SH: You brought up some interesting points. It never occurred to me that to some, the stigma of thigh boots and high heels might have attracted guys to them. But you're right, wearing thigh boots is mainly about the fun, and it's exciting as well, I can't help but feel emotionally charged when I have them on, even moreso now that I'm pairing mine exclusively with short skirts. And, just like with heels, it takes a certain brand of boldness to wear such footwear, especially in public for all the world to see. But it's all worth it in the end because it's such a fantastic experience.

I've never worn thigh boots. There was (and maybe still is in some parts) a similar stigma with fishnets but whenever I've worn them it's been in the spirit of challenging the stigma to say "it's just fashion and fun", and I think if I do ever wear thigh boots it would be with the same attitude. It could be argued that diffusing the stigma diffuses the power too, but I wear my high heels without any sense of stigma but they still feel fun, sexy, confident and powerful. I wouldn't say that the stigma is "garbage" as such: sure the stigma is entirely disposable as far as I'm concerned, but for others it may be central to their enjoyment of wearing thigh boots or heels in general.

Your profile says you live in London.

Get out in those thigh boots and enjoy. If I could wear them every day (in boy mode) around Hackney, you can wear them anywhere!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Your profile says you live in London.

Get out in those thigh boots and enjoy. If I could wear them every day (in boy mode) around Hackney, you can wear them anywhere!

Sure, it's not that I'm yearning to wear them and overcome with inhibition, I just tend to like knee-boot styles more. I have very chunky thighs so above-the-knee skirts tend to be more flattering than very short skirts, so if I did wear thigh boots I think I'd like the look with skinny jeans best for me. If I see some thigh-boots I like during the winter season I'll certainly give them a try in store and see how I feel about them. I'd expect to get some looks out-and-about, but perhaps no more so than painted toes and strappy sandals. One problem is the storage, I can barely find space for another pair of court heels, let alone very tall boots.

If you like it, wear it.

I like thigh boots and I honestly cannot understand the stigma. It has been something like thirty years since Pretty Woman came out, and while I do not exactly frequent (hardly) red light districts I cannot offhand recall having ever seen actual hookers in thigh boots, only the movie's fictional Vivian as played by Julia Roberts.

I have, on the other hand, seen women such as Kate Miss and Michelle Obama wearing them and looking quite tasteful and stylish.

As I say, I like them, although I have utterly no interest in wearing women's clothes, or indeed any other style of feminine footwear. In my own view, and certainly for myself, I think they look best with jeans and jumper, something fairly simple and conservative as a counterpoint to the hint of raffishness they project. And with a fairly modest stacked heel.

I've seen a couple of hookers in them. One was a very pretty girl on a corner of a street near King's Cross (a notorious red light district in London) she was wearing a skimpy skirt and thigh high stiletto boots with a fur coat which was open to reveal her outfit. It was a cold evening and she looked like she was freezing.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 2 months later...

Some interesting views above!

I too am tired of the 'Pretty Woman/hooker' connection whenever thigh boots are mentioned or seen.   It is not as though Julia's boots were anything special either - not very long, rather too baggy at the top and with a heel I estimate to be barely 4".   I suppose it is more the historic link (or assumed link) with the Victorian/Edwardian dominatrix or prostitute that labels thigh boots as 'unacceptable' for many women, which Pretty Woman and other media references do nothing to dilute.

Have we lost sight of the fact that (flat) thigh boots were standard wear for men, historically, and not just those on horseback?   As with high heeled shoes, they were accepted everyday menswear for a long time and only later, when the protective aspect had become largely redundant, did they become primarily worn by females, and not by many at that.   But they are still accepted menswear in the form of protective footwear for actvities involving wading, construction work and riding etc.   It is only when street wear or fashion wear is considered in isolation that anything higher than a calf boot is considered 'unmanly', especially if worn over trousers - although knee boots so worn do seem to have become just a tad more acceptable, albeit still uncommon, in recent years.    

As smart, practical footwear, close-fitting boots that reach at least the mid-thigh should be a unisex fashion, especially when the weather or other conditions allow.   And it is a small step from there to them being accepted as everyday footwear again, with whatever heels the wearer prefers.   To my eye, whilst a flat thighboot looks good, it looks even better with a heel (say a slim block or cuban of around 3") as this balances the somewhat 'clumpy' flat-footed look that accompanies any long boot when the wearer is walking.   A pointed or semi-pointed toe adds further elegance, and from there the overall look (crotch length, stiletto heels, laces, buckles etc) are simply a matter of personal taste and comfort, recognising that most men (and many women) would not wish to, or be able to, wear the more extreme styles. 

I just ordered my first two pairs of overknee boots - they should hopefully arrive somewhere at the end of this / early next week. I plan to use them together with the outfit I posted under "skirts", so basically the end of the boot isn't visible anymore. For me, it's an experiment - I would probably not wear over the knee boots with skinny jeans because of the connection with Pretty Woman.

I think over-the-knee boots can look great with skinny jeans, what would make all the difference is what top you're wearing, for example a stylish jumper wouldn't look so provocative. I tend to like the more subtle styles when these sorts of boots crossed over into the mainstream / high-street fashion stores, but that's just personal preference.

A couple of days ago I saw a pretty young lady wearing a gorgeous pair of black leather over-the-knee boots. I said to her I hope she feels as fabulous as she looks because those boots are amazing. She seemed to appreciate the nice comment, it would be a shame to wear such nice boots and not get a compliment. She was wearing them with sheer black tights, a black wrap mini-skirt and a black cardigan over a coloured top. I thought the whole outfit made the boots look very stylish and I told her so and wished her a good day.

If you like it, wear it.

Jean Gaborit makes several styles of thigh/OTK boots which they bill as either unisex or for guys and they are very nice looking boots. Custom made so not cheap but extremely high quality and in sizes up to 47 (and in some cases up to a 49). They come in quite a variety of heel heights and heel styles as well.

Personally I do not care for very tall thigh boots, and very much prefer the muted qualities of suede, and having a modest chunky heel. When worn with jeans and a jumper (for a guy) I truly don't see the big deal. As Puffer notes above, they were once very much a men's fashion - the renaissance man was very much a thigh boot fan. Indeed right up to WWI, tall boots (generally knee height) were seen as masculine.  

It is very difficult, though, for men to claw back a style or colour once it has gone feminine - in part because men do not support other men when it comes to breaking ranks. We tend to be pack creatures. 

Well said, Shyheels; I agree with you on all counts.   I had the Gaborit boots in mind when I was thinking how well a long mid-heel boot would look on a (reasonably slim) man; a pity that the price is so high.

It is very difficult, though, for men to claw back a style or colour once it has gone feminine - in part because men do not support other men when it comes to breaking ranks. We tend to be pack creatures. 

I'm not so sure, Men couldn't wear a pink shirt 20 years ago but it's no big deal now. Change can happen, you just have to accept that you'll encounter approval and disapproval. Just don't mistake surprise for disapproval.

The "Stigma and Power" in the title of this topic are flip sides of the same coin, it's up to you to take it or leave it.

If you like it, wear it.

I'm not so sure, Men couldn't wear a pink shirt 20 years ago but it's no big deal now. Change can happen, you just have to accept that you'll encounter approval and disapproval. Just don't mistake surprise for disapproval.

Agreed. Over this past summer, I wore a bright coral tank top (with a long black peasant skirt and wedge heeled sandals) which was as close as one could get to pink, and no one so much as batted an eyebrow. Men wearing such bright colors is fairly commonplace today.

Pink would be a notable exception, especially in business shirts. Indeed for the first half of the 20th century - and certainly in the early years of it - pink was very much a boys colour, being seen as a variant of red. Blue was for girls - with its link to the Virgin Mary. I certainly wore pink shirts as far back as the 1970s and don't recall giving it a second thought. Pink is also of course the colour of the winner's jersey in the Giro d'Italia.

Men wearing bright colours may be more common, but those colours are rarely pastels. 

Even if you look at  something as ostensibly gender neutral as backpacks you will see there are certain colours for women's packs and certain - invariably darker - colours for men's versions. 

The "Stigma and Power" in the title of this topic are flip sides of the same coin, it's up to you to take it or leave it.

Pink would be a notable exception, especially in business shirts. Indeed for the first half of the 20th century - and certainly in the early years of it - pink was very much a boys colour, being seen as a variant of red. Blue was for girls - with its link to the Virgin Mary. I certainly wore pink shirts as far back as the 1970s and don't recall giving it a second thought. Pink is also of course the colour of the winner's jersey in the Giro d'Italia.

Men wearing bright colours may be more common, but those colours are rarely pastels. 

Even if you look at  something as ostensibly gender neutral as backpacks you will see there are certain colours for women's packs and certain - invariably darker - colours for men's versions. 

I well remember wearing a pink shirt c1968, even in the relatively conservative professional office in which I slaved away.   One of the senior partners disliked staff wearing anything other than plain white shirts but his views were totally ignored.   Pale yellow and pale green were also quite commonly seen, whilst all sorts of grey and blue tints were in evidence.

I've always wondered why stripes are almost always acceptable, even in a formal setting, but spots (except on a tie) are almost unknown.

Maybe spots are too playful whereas stripes are more authoritative. Presumably vertical stripes are more acceptable (shirts and pinstripe tailoring), horizontal stripes perhaps not so much ("burglar stripes" or "prison stripes").

If you like it, wear it.

Maybe spots are too playful whereas stripes are more authoritative. Presumably vertical stripes are more acceptable (shirts and pinstripe tailoring), horizontal stripes perhaps not so much ("burglar stripes" or "prison stripes").

Yes, you are right.   But horizontal stripes are traditional on many matelots' rigs (Hello sailor!), or when accompanied by a black beret and baguette (Gauloise optional).

Someone should do a David Attenborough number on the 'plumage' of human beings. It could be very funny and thought-provoking at the same time.  

This is actually a very good idea, and should perhaps extend to include (with minimal flippancy) reference to the 'male peacock' in all his finery, thigh boots, heels and all.   And David Attenborough (my favourite broadcaster) would be ideal for the job as he invariably gets the balance right between information, education and entertainment.  

• 2 weeks later...

I figure it's about time I chime in on this thread.  I have been wearing thigh boots for a long time but it hasn't always been as openly and often as I do now.  For a long time I only wore them in private or if I did wear them out, it was under pants and I tried to hide the heel.  I also did that with knee high boots, which were much easier to come by. 

Over the years peoples attitudes have changed but so have I.  Back then I don't believe it would have been tolerated for a guy to wear much of anything not considered "guy" clothes without being held up to ridicule. My desires to freestyle have also changed over time.  I have always liked to wear boots but  wanting to wear high heels, skirts, and other stuff has just been a desire for the past several years.  The change in the public's attitude and my desire to freestyle, fortunately have occurred in the same relative time period.  Maybe society being more tolerant accelerated my freestyling but that can be another whole long discussion.

The following opinions are as I see the world, which is the only view I can at least marginally rely on.

When I'm wearing thigh boots with heels, I feel empowered to wear anything else I want to wear.  The heeled boots present a very strong image that I hope says, "I can wear anything I want and I want to wear this" and I take advantage of that image and push the envelope when I freestyle.  I would never have considered wearing a skirt if I hadn't been wearing my heeled thigh boots.  Recently I have moved past that and no longer require the crutch the heeled thigh boots provided me.  This is a combination of society being more tolerant and me being bolder.

One of the images presented to the public about heeled thigh boots is the masterful female, usually with a whip or riding crop.  This image has never been part of my thinking when I'm wearing my boots.  It is not something I emulate or even think about.  My feeling of power is internal and just related to making a strong fashion image statement. I am empowered over my on inhibitions rather than over other people.

None of this empowerment occurs when I'm wearing my flat heeled boots.  When wearing those boots, I'm just wearing tall boots, and I rarely wear them when I'm freestyling.   It's the heels that make the difference, but most of you folks knew that from your own experience.

As to the "hooker" stigma that some associate with heeled thigh boots, I don't feel restricted by it.  The image I like to present when freestyling often includes a short, often leather, skirt worn with heeled thigh boots so maybe I'm taking advantage of the "hooker" image.  That image isn't even close to my lifestyle, and my interaction with people when I'm freestyling is that of a really nice guy.  I'm sure a shrink could make a fortune figuring out why I like to present that image.

My experience wearing heeled thigh boots has freed me to wear just about anything I want to wear even now without my boots.  I have learned to reduce the impact of my image by wearing ankle and knee high boots and I'm very comfortable presenting myself almost all the time while wearing them.

I'm sure most folks have noticed that JeffB and I banter back and forth.  I got JeffB to stop wearing a beard and to start wearing heeled thigh boots. JeffB has gotten me into wearing skirts and pumps.  Our banter has always been positive and I have profited from it. Thanks JeffB.

As a closing note, I am wearing a beard as a self governor.  I am sometimes tempted to try serious cross dressing and I know from experience that I do it poorly.  The beard keeps me from going there.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Of course there are thigh boots and there are thigh boots. Variations in styles, colours and material make a world of difference in pubic perception of both the boot and the wearer.  Shiny patent - in black or candy colours - stiletto heels and crotch-high styling give off a vastly different vibe than, say, muted grey suede with block heels and an over-the-knee/low-thigh styling. Yet both could be said to be thigh boots.

Welcome to my thread, TBG! I had you in mind when I first came up with my idea because of how you got interested in wearing thigh high boots, and how terrific they are. Yes, you and I do indeed enjoy a considerable amount of friendly banter when it comes to freestyle fashion, the give and take we've had has been most enlightening, and rewarding as well. Thanks to TBG, I've come to understand the power that comes from wearing thigh boots, just how awesome I look in them, whether I've paired them with tight jeans or short skirts. And yeah, it's great fun as well, that's what TBG taught me as he brought me into a much wider world when it comes to footwear fashion.

Welcome to my thread, TBG! I had you in mind when I first came up with my idea because of how you got interested in wearing thigh high boots, and how terrific they are. Yes, you and I do indeed enjoy a considerable amount of friendly banter when it comes to freestyle fashion, the give and take we've had has been most enlightening, and rewarding as well. Thanks to TBG, I've come to understand the power that comes from wearing thigh boots, just how awesome I look in them, whether I've paired them with tight jeans or short skirts. And yeah, it's great fun as well, that's what TBG taught me as he brought me into a much wider world when it comes to footwear fashion.

Oh good grief. :penitent:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• 1 month later...

JeffB said.

..the inevitable (and, in my highly biased opinion, unwarranted) connection between thigh boots and hookers, thanks to what Julia Roberts wore in her breakout film role.

well, hookers want to look sexy and they are not stupid. We, women are sexier in thighhighs. And crossdressers usually love sexy women (pointing in that they thought sexy women wear). So, the circle closes up.

In fact, if someone wore those Julia's boots now, I'm afraid we wouldnt have these comments by guaranteed:  hooker's heels now are usually higher than those ones 

Elegance is my second name