How Do Women Take Such Large Steps With High Heels On ?

Eager2heel

I know my steps will be shorter when in heels. But I see so many women walking so fast and taking very large steps. I just do not see how they do it. My steps are half the lenth then when I have flat shoes on.

Like me, they have probably worn then to the extent that their body has completely compensated for the heel. Going back to flats after becomes the challenge.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I agree with Shafted, once your muscles are well-practiced walking in heels you find your natural stride. I switch very easily between heels and flats because I wear both regularly. For sure I could take a larger step size in flats, but I tend not to. Maybe walking in heels has shortened my stride in flats to an overall walk that feels the most natural for me whatever shoes I'm wearing. I'm only really aware of a shorter stride when I'm wearing my steepest heels, that's anything above a 4" rise which is steep enough for a size 7UK.

The other thing that affects my stride in heels is avoiding cracks in the pavement, more so with stiletto heels rather than with flats or wedges of course, or if I'm walking down a slope in high heels.

If you like it, wear it.

Some people have the bone structure of their feet and ankles to take such a stride. I can keep up with a sidewalk crowd in a pair of my 4.5" rise stilettos, but some people that are wearing notably higher heels have still passed me.

I'd say it mostly comes down to practice. I could take long strides in heels if I wanted to, but I don't, I for one enjoy shorter strides and walking at a leisurely pace.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

One of the most fascinated memories that I have from my youth was of a gal walking completely smoothly but quickly out to her car. She walked so well that I have set out to and have achieved obtaining that style of gait. Now that it comes naturally I have set out to slow my pace and enjoy my time in heels.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

They have "MASTERED" the ability to roll from heel strike onto the ball of the foot gracefully.  Very good balance and strong ankles have to be a great help.  Beauty in motion.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

One of the most fascinated memories that I have from my youth was of a gal walking completely smoothly but quickly out to her car. She walked so well that I have set out to and have achieved obtaining that style of gait. Now that it comes naturally I have set out to slow my pace and enjoy my time in heels.

You would think when in heels you want to look gracefull . When I see them walking like they are on a mission of some kind to me it takes away the purpus of having heels on in the first place.

I have "fast shoes" and I have "slow shoes." I suppose it depends on what your definition of "fast" is. I guess I walk rather fast (or so I'm told), and I love seeing fast walking gals in heels, which would necessarily involve taking longer strides.

"Fast" to me is 17-18 minute miles, which is honestly not all that fast. I don't really like walking much faster than that barefoot or in trainers. "Slow" to me is 21-22 minute miles. And you might be surprised to discover which are my fast shoes, and which are the slow ones.

They have "MASTERED" the ability to roll from heel strike onto the ball of the foot gracefully. Very good balance and strong ankles have to be a great help. Beauty in motion.

I agree that you have to have strong ankles, but you might want to add sturdy calf muscles as well. Your calf muscles are in for a world of hurt if they aren't in shape.

I agree that you have to have strong ankles, but you might want to add sturdy calf muscles as well. Your calf muscles are in for a world of hurt if they aren't in shape.

Gotta have both, or well, this will happen:

1awTqGT.gif

1awTqGT.gif

Oh that had to hurt on so many fronts - and other places.  So far, I never had that kind of problem walking in heels - I always thought it was part of a "comedy routine" when one wobbles like that.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

You would think when in heels you want to look gracefull . When I see them walking like they are on a mission of some kind to me it takes away the purpus of having heels on in the first place.

Though she was moving quickly she did not appear rushed in the slightest. She was in fact quite graceful. She looked like a woman who knew exactly what ahe wanted and was headed right to it with purpose. Her gait was purposeful and I was in awe as to how she could do it so well in heels.

At one of the last two Heels for HEAL events that I went to there was a younger gal wearing very tall heels very gracefully. I then became in awe of how well she moved in them and her pace was at ease. She displayed no ackwardness that can go with really tall heels. After the event I was walking fairly quickly to my car and I noticed her and her mom strolling out to the way back lot. I realized that they were probably slow enough to enjoy the sights and I realized that slowing down would allow me to both enjoy the sights and my heels more.

1awTqGT.gif

Good Lord! Talk about the fail that never ends!

Maybe I'm a sadist, but I just can resist watching that calamity laden video while trying hard not to chuckle at that poor girl's plight. Out of curiosity, I Googled "runway fails" and turned up a goodly number of videos of models stumbling, staggering and falling like drunks leaving a bar at 2 a.m., and I found the full length version of this video. It looked like she was only wearing four inchers, child's play to walk in, even for us guys, but once her ankles turned to wet noodles, it was train wreck city the rest of the way.

Maybe I'm a sadist, but I just can resist watching that calamity laden video while trying hard not to chuckle at that poor girl's plight. Out of curiosity, I Googled "runway fails" and turned up a goodly number of videos of models stumbling, staggering and falling like drunks leaving a bar at 2 a.m., and I found the full length version of this video. It looked like she was only wearing four inchers, child's play to walk in, even for us guys, but once her ankles turned to wet noodles, it was train wreck city the rest of the way.

Indeed. I must admit, I do find it amusing that I can walk normally in 5 inch heels better than MANY women.

I'm sorry! I can't bear to watch anyone have such an embarrassing incident, whether they are runway models or people trying on heels for the first time. The prevalent attitude seems to be that since they have become expert in walking, a new adventure of wearing high heels shouldn't be hard at all. Society has the program to prepare girls to wear them by starting them out in lower heels and then gradually increasing the height as they mature. This same programing should be in place for guys who choose to walk in heels, but because they aren't expected to, most guys are left to their ignorance and the social stigma about high heeling to the point they fear trying them. If by chance they do venture to begin an experience in heels they probably haven't picked a pair that fit well enough and/or the heels are too high for their feet and ankle familiarity and strength to properly negotiate reasonable steps, their fears become more embedded and they kind of wimp out thinking they made an effort that didn't work for them. 

I realize some people just can't or won't wear the type of heels available at this time for whatever their reasoning and limitations. Maybe someday, high heeled footwear will be made that they can wear should they become inclined to do so. They will also have to realize there is some preparation and familiarization needed to the wearing of high heels. Some people can adjust to wearing them right away, while others will have to be patient and keep working at it.

I personally have a hard time watching the high heel fail videos. I actually feel uncomfortable watching them.

I do, however, enjoy seeing the first time in heels videos. The ackwardness in those videos brimg me back to my first days in heels where I rather enjoyed getting better and better at walking in them.

I personally have a hard time watching the high heel fail videos. I actually feel uncomfortable watching them.

I do, however, enjoy seeing the first time in heels videos. The ackwardness in those videos brimg me back to my first days in heels where I rather enjoyed getting better and better at walking in them.

I am the same way. I thought I was bad but never that bad in heels. I feel there pain when I see one of those videos.

I also didn't feel any joy at seeing that video clip. It seems so rare to see anyone wearing heels these days, so when I do see them it's a pleasure to see them worn well. Any high-heel mishap seems to vindicate all the flat-heeled people shaking their heads with disapproval at our "ridiculous" shoes.

I've never seen a high-heel moment quite like the one in the clip. My impression was that maybe all she'd eaten all week was a stick of celery and a cigarette to maintain the skinny figure that her career demands of her. It really looked like a wobble of physical weakness, and maybe if she got a little energy and nutrition in her diet she'd be very accomplished in her heels. I was pleasantly surprised by the compassion and support shown by the gentleman who came to her assistance and the applauding members of the audience.

If you like it, wear it.

I sometimes wonder if those problems are caused by ill fitting shoes.  It seems that loose shoes, especially platforms would be very unstable and lead to moments like that.  If the shoes were secure on her feet, it would be hard to flop around like that.

Looks like the model in the video clip is wearing a pair of shoes with a platform that tappers to a narrow width.  I have a pair like that and when you step on a little rock...you can roll you ankle like the model in the video clip.  I also noticed that the floor the model are doing their cat walk has debris.  I bet the debris got stuck to the bottom of her shoes, which caused her to continuously to wobble and roll her ankles.

Getting back to the topic of "How do women take such large steps with high heels on?"  I think they got accustom to walking in high heels and the law of physics is in their favor.  Everyone can practice walking in high heels, but can the stiletto heels take the stress you are giving them.  A 120lb woman in a 6 1/2 size high heel shoes can run with the shoes on and not break the stiletto heels, where as a 200lb man in a size 11 high heel shoes could break the stiletto heels by taking too large of a step.