Men Wearing Heels At Malls - A Challenge

Heelster

Was talking to a couple women who know I wear heels, and they claim they see men out and about in heels all the time. They claim that if you sit around a popular mall in a major city that you can spot them walking by. The thing the one woman does is sit in an area with a hard surface floor. They listens for the tell tale sound of heels, and then look for the source.

They both claim that a majority of their finds are men in longer flare or boot cut  womens jeans that partially conceal the shoe. They tell me that there are a lot more guys wearing heels than most know.

So here is the challenge - Go to your favorite mall wearing your heel selection of the day, and lets see if we can spot some of these guys.

I intend to attempt to catch up with one of theses dudes and see if I can strike up a conversation with him regarding heels.

I always look at people's shoes everywhere I go, and have since I was a kid. If you don't count the platforms of the 1970s, or the cowboy boots of the mid 90s, some of which had as high as 2 inch heels, I only recall seeing two men in "women's" shoes in my entire life.

One was recently, a Laotian man wearing a Cuban style heel at an Asian festival. His picture is posted on here fairly recently. The other was many years ago in the 1980s, and they were flat sandals. I think I was on vacation with my family as I recall (I was a teenager at the time) and I saw this hippie looking guy with a big bushy beard and long hair wearing what I knew to be women's thong sandals, as that particular style was extremely popular for girls, especially teenage girls, at the time.

I'll keep looking, though, and report back as soon as I see something.

Heelster : Ive posted about meeting other guys in kicks. Its not ' popular ' by any means, but not all that uncommon in the local city.

The people on any given day are different then most places as its a tourist area ( Niagara Falls ) and many people not even from this country go there to visit and then shop in the area.

I can say I have met 4 or 5 other guys out and about in heels. There were several others that I saw but didnt get a chance to speak with.

My sister in law tells me of a guy in a town south of where we live whom wears heels in the office he works at. He wears wedge boots in the winter as well.

I dont make it into the city as much these days with harvest coming soon and most people dont wear heels in the snow. If I do see any guys wearing heels out and about, I'll say something here for you. ;)

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Hmmmm..... I have worn gals shoes since I was a teen, and generally notice what footwear guys and gals are wearing. I can honestly say that, even out here in crazy California, I have NEVER seen another guy in women's shoes, heels or flats. Never. I have travelled extensively in CA and the US - to malls, events, fairs, tourist areas, large / small towns, you name it, and never have seen a guy in gals shoes.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a guy out in heels or gals shoes but it hasn't happened yet.

When I shop at shoe stores, I am frequently told by the sales staff that they do have guys trying on and buying women's shoes but who knows where they go after the purchase.

Have fun at the mall, and keep looking, as will I, and maybe some day one or both of us will make "great success."

P.S. As the only guy in CA wearing heels in public, it's lonely out here...... Take care all, sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Not the only guy for long SF :-)

I did see a guy in completely goth attire wearing super tall pony boots at the Hawian Festival at Tempe Town Lake near downtown Tempe, AZ. This was last march. He had sort of a Marilyn Mansen thing going on.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

There might be some shred of truth to that.  I might be one of the ones you see at the mall wearing heels or other women's shoes.  Some time ago I posted about a guy working at the Aldo I frequent who was wearing white peep toe pumps while working there.

i've never seen a man wearing heels except for at the Toronto Heel Meet and maybe on Pride Day in Ottawa.  otherwise, i feel like the lone heel wearer in this galaxy.  (which of course i know i'm not!)

I have seen 2 other guys wearing heels in Calgary recently, both who work at Fluevog shoe store. Couple in Vancouver as well

last April, but still a rare sighting. I do keep my eyes open though when in public for other like minded wearers.

It's my favorite place for heeling. Some of my heeling accounts give the details.

I've got to say though, as an avid people watcher, I've only ever seen cross dressing men wearing heels. That is, men carrying themselves as women. Very common round here and doesn't even raise an eyebrow.

I'd like to see more men wearing heels in a more male way as I tend to.

I've only ever had compliments and warm smiles from observers and I think more guys could and should carry it off.

The only place I have seen a man wearing heels was in Marmaris, Turkey a while ago. He was young local man who was more than little androgynous but still plainly a man and not trying to be a woman.

He actually looked really good. 

I really like going to the mall and other crowded/busy places in heels.  I most often wear ~4-4.5" thicker heeled boots and usually wear bootcut jeans just as heelster mentioned in the first post.  I show an inch or two heel at the bottom, and I know some people notice but they really have to be paying attention, it is not obvious for most people who are busy with their own affairs.

This year I have seen two different guys in my area wearing lower-mid heels, neither occasion was at the mall though.  :)

Anyway, one guy was wearing shorts and a pair of nice black leather clog/mules with 2-2.5" heel, he was walking a good distance in front of me downtown and eventually turned another direction from where I was going.  The other guy was wearing a more rugged looking black leather motorcycle boot with a chunky heel, similar 2-2.5" heel height, with straight cut jeans, this was at a concert.  There was far too many people, noise, and commotion to even try to go over and talk to the guy.  So sadly I was not able to talk to either guy.

Anyway, seeing two different guys in shoes like that in the past six months or so gives me a lot of hope...  Before this year, I had never seen any man in person wearing heels *as a man*, but I know I've seen guys in full drag and heels many years ago for various reasons... lol

I agree with the majority who have answered so far. I have seen, to my recollection, one other guy in women's shoes and that was 20 years ago. He (like me) was shopping the women's shoe rack in a thrift shop and had on a pair of chunky heeled boots. I wasn't as bold as I am now (I am an odd fit to this site because I really don't like heels, especially spike ones, but I only own women's shoes and wear them all the time. Most are on the androgynous side though, especially at work) so I didn't talk to him. He was somewhat crossdressed in that he wore what appeared to me to be women's jeans and a shirt, but both were somewhat unisex. I didn't attempt to talk to him, and doubt I would if it happened tomorrow. I would be much more interested in talking to a guy wearing men's clothing and women's shoes. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike crossdressers, but I doubt I would have nearly as much in common as a guy wearing "normal" guy clothes and women's shoes. 

That said, maybe I am one of the ones being seen. Since all my shoes are women's I go out in them. Sometimes I am bold and wear something pretty girly, but usually I am not and I think only women could tell I have women's shoes on (guys don't seem to take much notice. I have been "caught" out in public by friends while wearing women's shoes and expected to hear about it but they never seemed to take note at all. And trust me, these are guys who WOULD have said something, most likely in a crowded place in their loudest voice).

How about a car parts store? Happened today just outside of Buffalo ( West Seneca ). I needed to pick up some fluids for my truck, stopped and went in.. Low and Behold, a guy wearing a pair of wedge boots, chaps and a heavy leather jacket.

In his boots, he was shorter then my 5'10" height ( wearing sneakers ).

He left on his Motorcycle.

Nobody said anything. I doubt the sales people/customers even noticed.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

I have put thousands of miles on a motorcycle in heeled boots, and was only noticed once that I know of. I even changed a battery in an autoparts store parking lot wearing heeled boots. Someone had to have seen it, and I think one guy did, but nobody says anything - - which is good in some cases.

Well, a few years ago i would have been the one seen in various malls, hardware and home stores in the area, wearing tee shirt, jeans, and patent black or red stiletto pumps. It's 98% didn't see or no reaction. The remainder do double- takes, look up down up down trying to resolve the incongruity or just smile and, rarely, comment, almost always nicely.

Now i'm in more androgynous styles, like my 3" chunky heel boots that pass for motorcycle boots and show enough dirt and wear to not really stand out as a fashion statement. No one visably reacts.

My wife still dislikes them, stating " You walk like a girl." Has anyone else been outed by their gait?

My wife still dislikes them, stating " You walk like a girl." Has anyone else been outed by their gait?

I agree, I think the gait is most important when trying to look natural and acceptable in heels.  For public heels, I stick to shoes I can manage walking in very comfortably and keeping my gait / strides as close to normal as possible, which usually works out to be heels with less than a 4" lift between the ball of the foot and the heel of the foot (which includes platforms in that variance).  

To clarify, I can totally walk for long periods in a 5" heel (with no platform) without any issues, but I just look overly feminine in my gait and take rather small dainty steps, so I feel silly / self-conscious doing it, so I don't wear shoes like that in public.

Maybe in the future in a city far far away - a stroll in my Payless Javilins may take place.  Closer to home, the "hidden heel" Champion sneakers will have to do.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I really like going to the mall and other crowded/busy places in heels.  I most often wear ~4-4.5" thicker heeled boots and usually wear bootcut jeans just as heelster mentioned in the first post.  I show an inch or two heel at the bottom, and I know some people notice but they really have to be paying attention, it is not obvious for most people who are busy with their own affairs.

This year I have seen two different guys in my area wearing lower-mid heels, neither occasion was at the mall though.  :)

Anyway, one guy was wearing shorts and a pair of nice black leather clog/mules with 2-2.5" heel, he was walking a good distance in front of me downtown and eventually turned another direction from where I was going.  The other guy was wearing a more rugged looking black leather motorcycle boot with a chunky heel, similar 2-2.5" heel height, with straight cut jeans, this was at a concert.  There was far too many people, noise, and commotion to even try to go over and talk to the guy.  So sadly I was not able to talk to either guy.

Anyway, seeing two different guys in shoes like that in the past six months or so gives me a lot of hope...  Before this year, I had never seen any man in person wearing heels *as a man*, but I know I've seen guys in full drag and heels many years ago for various reasons... lol

What concert? I wore heels like you are describing to a concert earlier this year...

I had to travel last week and I stopped in Bluejay's territory for a night. We met up and went to a local mall to do a bit of shoe shopping. He wore a royal blue polo shirt, white pants which were short enough to show his ankles, and Uggs "Tawnie" wedge sandals (about a 5" heel and 1" platform). I had on 4" brown cone heeled Born sandals with 1/2 inch platform, bootcut denim jeans, and a yellow polo shirt. We were meeting with one of his "girlfriends" who manages several departments in JC Penney. Bluejay and she had made up to wear the same shoes, which she had bought some time ago when she saw his and fell in love with them. Bluejay had them in black also, and asked me if I wanted to wear the black ones, so I tried on the Uggs, even though wedges aren't really my thing, and I was amazed at how comfortable and easy they were to walk in (are you listening, JeffB?). So we strutted the length of the mall to Penney's where we met his gf and chatted for while, to Macy's, to Payless, and another store (whose name I forget). We went to Applebee's for supper and then returned to the mall later for some more walking. We had a great evening out, and although I didn't spend much time watching to see if we were watched, I really didn't notice anyone looking at us. We did have a nice encounter in JC Penney's shoe department. A 30-something woman was trying on wedge heels and trying to decide between two similar styles. I commented to her that they both looked great but that in my opinion, one looked slightly better. We enjoyed a conversation about shoes, and wedges in particular, and she obviously had no problem with guys in serious wedges. In the end she chose the other pair, but it was still a good choice - she couldn't go wrong with either. Bluejay's gf also introduced us to a new sales assistant who had no trouble with guys in heels.

All in all, it was a fun night out. Thanks for letting me wear your Uggs, Bluejay! And tell your gf hello for me, next time you see her.

Steve

post-4071-0-95691500-1406232863_thumb.jp

post-4071-0-64066300-1406232874_thumb.jp

What concert? I wore heels like you are describing to a concert earlier this year...

Pretty sure it wasn't you, unless you've been flying out to the pacific northwest to see your concerts  :)

I saw a guy wearing platform wedge heels for the first time in Home Depot. He was dressed in womens attire (sweater, skirt, leggings), and over all looked good. From a distance he looked like a woman. What made him stand out was how tall he was. He had to be close to 7 feet tall with the heels. The wedges were four inch with a one inch platform, which mean he was about 6-4ish with out the heels. I'm 5-11 and was at least a head below him.

Apart from drag queens, I think I've seen about 4 men in heels in the 5 & half years I've been living where I am. It's not a big heel city, pavements are not so great in places, I choose my routes in stilettos, wedges gives me more options. Don't tend to wear them shopping, as I want to be in & out as quick as possible! 

In Cincinnati today - shopping at an Ikea, and what do I see?? A fella with a fedora, a womens purple blouse, and a miniskirt - - - but no heels. A first for me.

Been to a couple bigger malls this weekend, but I haven't seen many heels. Mostly flip flops and flats.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I saw my first guy in heels in Buenos Aires. He was at a shopping mall called Alto Palermo. I was in a hurry so I didn't address him to chat about it. The heels were shoeboots with a platform, over 15cm (6in) and the platform about 4cm (1 1/2in) with beads. He was a very thin guy with skinny pants and a shrit, over 185cm (6 feet 1") tall with the heels. He went out of the shopping and I lost sight of him in the crowd.

Very noticeable, people didn't pay much attention to him any way.

Yesterday I saw my first guy in heels in Buenos Aires. He was at a shopping mall called Alto Palermo. I was in a hurry so I didn't address him to chat about it. The heels were shoeboots with a platform, over 15cm (6in) and the platform about 4cm (1 1/2in) with beads. He was a very thin guy with skinny pants and a shrit, over 185cm (6 feet 1") tall with the heels. He went out of the shopping and I lost sight of him in the crowd.

Very noticeable, people didn't pay much attention to him any way.

I find it interesting how little people notice others. I walked into a DSW recently in a pretty shot pair of boots, and nobody noticed me while I was looking over all the new boots for fall. One sales associate did, and she was very helpful. She claims shoes are the first thing she notices  on a guy - - I just threw her for a curve.

Those of us who are passionate and fixated on high heels, or women's shoes in general, view the world as if everyone else were that way also. The truth is that we are a small minority, and most people don't notice shoes or care about them in a fashion sense. We just think the whole world is watching us, but they're not. Oh, sure, some notice, but most are too polite to say anything. When I go out, I just don't even pay attention anymore to who is looking or not. I just wear with confidence, don't think about watching to see if others notice, and go about my day. You should, too! Have fun!

Steve

People not noticing must be true, I wore my 6inch pleasure boots hidden under my jeans, the toe box was noticeable but no one blinked an eye, surely you could tell by how I was walking because of the height but none of the workers even noticed I was in heels. Then again it was just after the store opened and the shoes weren't that loud

the world of today has gone mad, people are to easy offended, either it is words or how you dress, when you are trying on a pair of lovely heels in a shoe shop, some female customers glare at you, as if because you are male which means pervert, you could be thrown out because of them or they will call the police, 

the world of today has gone mad, people are to easy offended, either it is words or how you dress, when you are trying on a pair of lovely heels in a shoe shop, some female customers glare at you, as if because you are male which means pervert, you could be thrown out because of them or they will call the police, 

It's highly unlikely that any smart sales associate would call the police without fear of losing their job, losing a sale, or being laughed at by the police.

I've had a few strange stares while shopping at DSW's, but it's usually guys following their wives through the store.