A Voice? Is It Live Or Memorex? ;)

Interesting old-time question, eh?

A while back , I made a comment that ' offended ' people in regards to someone whom is worshipped by many as a ' hero ' in that she didnt really have a voice and was nothing more then an over-processed or altered entity. Many people were more then angered from some of the private messages I recieved and I figured seeing as the guys I am working with and I are in the midst of finding a vocalist that I would use the chance to explain ( by example ) what exactly I was stating, why I stated it, and why its true ( That Lady GaGa isnt really ' all that ' ).

I wont use her ( GaGa's ) delusional entity as the example here, but another female singer I feel has MUCH more talent.

These 2 ' comparison videos ' are of the same song. The only band differences are 2 of the band members ( drummer and one guitarist )

In the first video, The Bass player is out of the mix completely till half way through the song.

Second video, totally different arrangement in venue size AND a different road crew taking care of the sound system.

In the second video, its QUITE obvious something is being done to her voice during the chorus line of the song as theres a ' harmony ' of many voices. Its an ' Auto tune ' type of device ( actually it sounds more like an Eventide type of device ).

Also to be noted in the second video, the band itself ( Guitars, Bass and drums ) are also being quite processed. The difference in the valve amps being Mic'ed up in the first video compared to the D/I ( or some kind of slave signal ) taken from the stage is quite noticeable.

( Edit : larger venue without the voice processing. Not bad at all. ) 

Heres a video of some kid whom calls himself the ' autotune king '.

I actually liked his natural voice better. He speaks in quite a degrading tone in regards to his natural voice, YET, he doesnt have a bad voice at all!

Most of your singers/acts from the turn of the century and on use all kinds of processing on vocals. Its pushed in every venue out there. Its could be compared to a drug addiction in some regards as its that ' crutch ' that has convinced certain people they need to use these things yet, in actuality, they arent that bad to begin with.

Its very sad the music industry promoted people whom are lacking in talent when theres truly garages/small pubs/bars out there Filled with raw and extremely talented individuals.

Take away their processing and they dont have any confidence. Its sad.

This is why I enjoy the ' Oldies '. Its a weird mix of differing flavors. Aretha Franklin is high up on the list. Even on old vinal, her voice stands above 99% of modern day ' artists '. She didnt have ANY of the processing of today in her time. The older Motown groups with their harmonies and straight up voices. Buddy Holly, Jimmy Valiant , Jerry Lee Lewis! 

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Even on vinyl!?  Everything sounds better on vinyl and I'll explain why (you were hoping I would!).  You can put yourself in the studio with them.  I was given a CD (does anyone remember them?) of the White Album one Christmas.  (My daughter cut her finger and said, 'Oh no, I've got Blood on the White Album.  It's going to be the title of my next album where I'm going to combine agonising over my divorce {15 years ago, but hey } with a burning need to experiment and play good old fashioned rock.  We'll be called the Dyleatles.  I'm looking for a guitarist, a bassist, a drummer and, if I'm honest, a singer to mime to.)  Anyway, Revolution has been cleaned up so far as to be unrecognisable.  Some idiot hadn't realised it was meant to sound like George had emptied the hoover (US, vacuum) bag into his guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH9zG28GQEg&feature=kp

Music is all about human connection and any technology introduces an element of dishonesty.  The seven inch 45 was an intrinsically honest product.  Two songs and change out of your pocket money with the warm crackle of anticipation thrown in for free.  And all the ingredients on both labels.

My partner was honoured to be present at the recording of the current album by Paul Lamb and the Kingsnakes (Google it). Nothing they did was edited or auto tuned, it was all natural. All the post production consisted of was setting the volume levels of the tracks and mixing.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Was at Bunberry Festival on the river last night (Cincinatti) and heard some interesting sampling done one stage by this one band. Violin player could create the sound of a complete orchestra on stage within about 2 minutes of playing and sampling. Although I sometimes dispise some of the "fixing" going on on stage, I do find it can be intersting and usefull.

Paramore didn't sound to "adjusted" as she has a decent voice on her own. Given an outdoor venue with uncrontrollable acoustics, it was a good day at all the different stages.