Knock On The Door..

Im just asking this as a general question as its something Im going to be doing in my area. Its not about politics even though its for an election.

When was the last time you remembered a person whom was running for office coming directly to *your* door and greeting you?

By asking, I dont mean a pollster or someone taking a poll. I dont mean one of their lackies whom is doing it for them. I mean the REAL person, ' In person '. The person running for office themselves taking the time to come and ask you about ' things ' and your concerns?

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

It would definitely be a refreshing change from the business as usual form of campaigning.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Yep I do remember it happening, It was my local conservative man and it was around 1972. I had just got married at the time.

life is not a rehearsal

Happened last election, for a local office…..  Buttttt, I live in a smaller community.  I voted for the guy….  sf

Around here it happened every few election cycles...

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Local candidates usually canvas door to door, neighborhood by neighborhood every election. However, individual door to door campaigning by candidates for statewide and federal offices is impractical due to he large geographical size of the districts they represent. It is far more practical for these candidates to appear at rallies held at several different places in their districts to meet and discuss issues with voters.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I spent the day going door to door. I must say, I have never been offered so much yummie home baked pies and cakes. I learned QUITE a bit about many folks in the area and all the things that really concern them. Many of the things are quite popular here, but not ' all over '.

I probably hit 70-75 homes today.

When I moved down here got one local councilor, that was in '85. Got caught by one a few years ago.

Rarely do they do it on weekends when everyone is at home.

Back up in the outer south west London we never saw anyone doing the "handshake" tour. Yes we had cars with PA systems doing the rounds "vote for xyz your **** candidate" .

My last few visits to polling stations, there wasn't  even a pollster taking notes.

Al

WetWillie :

That was a concern of mine. By going door to door, I do know theres a LOT of people whom dont wish to be bothered. Its one thing when its on the phone and they can hang up but another when someone is knocking at the door.

I have been told ' not interested ' by a few folks but not that many.

They arent used to having someone come to them and ask what their concerns are.

I canvased another 125 houses/fields/barns/shops today. Lotsa feedback. I must say, the people in my area absolutely HATE Albany N.Y. and whats going on there. Most want to break off into a separate state ( something that was brought up by them on many occasions ).

Great topic! I have been visited reguarly but then again I have donated regularly so I think thre may be a connection :).Like mlroseplant I live in swing state like Iowa and many people get very close exposure to the full spectrum of candidates; school board to President. HappyinHeels

Great topic! I have been visited reguarly but then again I have donated regularly so I think thre may be a connection :).Like mlroseplant I live in swing state like Iowa and many people get very close exposure to the full spectrum of candidates; school board to President. HappyinHeels

Its unfortunate that everyone doesnt have the exposure as you do. If more people did, things would be much better for EVERYONE.

Never met a candidate, but recently had a guy trying to get enough signatures for his guy to be on the ballot. 

Figured, why not? Let an independent get his voice out there. 

(formerly known as "JimC")

Never met a candidate, but recently had a guy trying to get enough signatures for his guy to be on the ballot. 

Figured, why not? Let an independent get his voice out there. 

For the last couple years (basically because of the right wingers and Obama) I've been voting in primaries as a Libertarian. Last major election, the Liberatarian candidate had to actually stop by and talk with me and ask for a signature so he could be on the ballot. Last election cycle, there was only 11 registered Libertarians in the entire county, and he had to have at least 10 signatures.

I still get phone calls even though I no longer have an actual land line. I've had a couple groups with heavy evangelical leanings trying to get my attention lately (bad move on their part).

I am not looking forward to the next midterm elections, and see no real positive posibilities in the next presidential cycle. Looking for a dark horse, and then we can see what the possibilites are.

American politics is as enjoyable as bikes or other engine related things.  It's so comforting to read one's own language and not understand it.  Just words you feel at home with, like curling up in front of the fire with a head full of brandy.  Can we have more of this, please?

I can't recall ever having been called upon by pollsters or lackies. I wouldn't have them here on my doorstep either. I know the types, you can see when they're lying because their lips move. Anyway you Americans are shortly in for such a hefty economic blow, you'll not give a damn about who's in or who's out. Pass the Brandy please Meg.

"Anyway you Americans are shortly in for such a hefty economic blow, you'll not give a damn about who's in or who's out. "

Sad but very true!

Diggin the other eye Miss Amanda ;)

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Amanda on this. We haven't really recovered from the last two recessions in some parts of the country, and I can see us slipping into another somewhere around the next Presidential election.

Hard to guess whats going to happen. It's just like being in the kitchen, Good ingredients, a good recipe, and it still doesn't smell right.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Amanda on this. We haven't really recovered from the last two recessions in some parts of the country, and I can see us slipping into another somewhere around the next Presidential election.

Hard to guess whats going to happen. It's just like being in the kitchen, Good ingredients, a good recipe, and it still doesn't smell right.

This is about 40-50% of the reason why I am really happy I moved ' out here ' and its 75% of the reason why Im running on a local level.

The U.S. dollar over the last 8 years has become ( close to ) worthless. Its over printed and the borrowing and spending just wont stop. Too many promises and too many groups of people to buy off in order to ' control things '. 

I have greenhouses, a farm, cows/heffers, hogs, chickens.. Its a security blanket that no " dollars " can replace.

The only real ' leader ' in the world right now is Putin ( Imagine that! ). I dont like the guy nor his policies, but damn if he doesnt take a stand and stick with it.

I have greenhouses, a farm, cows/heffers, hogs, chickens.. Its a security blanket that no " dollars " can replace.

Well you'd best be sure and grow some tobacco for Meg and some grapes for me and be jolly nice to us and our band of pirates when we descend on your ranch post economic apocolypse. Unless of course you want us to pillage.

Well you'd best be sure and grow some tobacco for Meg and some grapes for me and be jolly nice to us and our band of pirates when we descend on your ranch post economic apocolypse. Unless of course you want us to pillage.

I could give you many ' calibres ' on why not to even think of pillaging. ;) No need to do such as a warm invite is there for most of those whom I associate with. :D

Tobacco? I dont grow it. Dont have the climate here for it. Grapes though.. Im going to start a vineyard this year and plan on trying to make some wine.

The only thing I really need to get hip on is to get an ethanol generator setup going or a big array of panels. The barn roof has 2 sides that are both 320x80feet of surface area. I bet I can get a LOT of panels on it ;)

Questionable whether a leader is such a good thing.  It pays to remember what fuhrer and duce mean.

Toss in Pelosi, Reid, Obama, Bohner ( intentionally mis-spelled ;) ), Cuomo and a few others to that list..