Ad-Blocking Is Killing Hhplace

For those of you who are all using ad-blocking software/plugins, I just want to say a huge thank you, because you are successfully killing HHPlace, and god knows how many other websites. Without any advertising revenue, many websites will simply vanish, and HHPlace is no different. Due to the amount of ad-blocking going on, HHPlace is now generating a big fat ZERO. So, you can either have a free website, and tolerate some adverts, or you can see HHPlace vanish? I'm not even going to consider membership charges.... Its not an option... So, the next time you visit a site and dont see ANY adverts, ask yourself who is paying for your traffic usage... If HHPlace cannot support itself, it will vanish.

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not good news Tech :( I quite like to see what the ads will bring up for me based on my previous searches, sites, or what is in the text on the page. And I know that they are important as that is how the site is funded. The only reason I could see for blocking them is to save data usage, but most here will be on unlimited package I would have thought, except on a phone when they can use the Mobile Version that has no ads. That could be the problem, as I am as guilty as the next of using my phone to check in. I hope things improve.

"A man cannot make a pair of shoes rightly unless he do it in a devout manner" - Thomas Carlyle

Your not talking pop-up blocking, just ad blocking I have to assume. I probably should be running ad blocking as I get billed on a per gig basis for any and all of my internet, but I haven't. Some of the ads are actually interesting when related to this site and subject. Some of this can be blamed on the maliscious adware that's been pushed out there, but I'm not seeing to much of that recently. Only once within the past month has Google Chrome actually indicated I shouldn't go to a specific web site. Norton, McAfee, and the likes, are probably not helping matters. Since I don't get the malware issues most do, ads are not an issue with the exception of data usage costs.

Not only don't block the ads, but clicking on them helps out as well.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Well, I've just disabled AdblockPlus for HHP only and still don't get any ads. Ad blockers only arose because some sites overdid the advertising so that we had to put up with too much stuff that was too intrusive. Likewise pop-up blocking. I can remember the odd site creating loads of popups so quickly that the only real cure was to pull the internet connection. Unfortunately websites like HHP who use advertising sensibly and thoughtfully have suffered from the fallout from this arms race.

I have had big problems in the past with adds messing up my viewer, and lots of popup windows. I did unblock hhplace just now. Let us see what comes up. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

It is understandable and appreciated that you do not want to charge for membership, but perhaps use a donation setup to help take some of the financial slack up?

(formerly known as "JimC")

It is understandable and appreciated that you do not want to charge for membership, but perhaps use a donation setup to help take some of the financial slack up?

Such a system already exists. It's called VIP membership.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Shafted: is there a link to vip application? I might be missing the obvious but cannoy find it.

You know you're right. It seems to be something else lost in the forum software change. Hopefully Tech will check this thread and correct this.

Cool. I am sure a few users would like to help out when they can. If it is missing that might explaon some revenue loss. I know my adsense revenue shating on youtube has dried up also.

Not only don't block the ads, but clicking on them helps out as well.

Be careful. Telling people to click on banners is against the rules on most ad-networks and can get you suspended.

I do agree with, Tech. Blocking ads on sites you use and appreciate is not very nice. Hosting cost money.

Be careful. Telling people to click on banners is against the rules on most ad-networks and can get you suspended.

I do agree with, Tech. Blocking ads on sites you use and appreciate is not very nice. Hosting cost money.

They help pay for this site. Isn't that worth it? I'm not saying click every ad you see, but if you see something that interest you, go ahead and click. It helps. Google ads are generally safe.

Depending on the browser being used by our members may have something to do with the need to block ads. As Shafted has indicated, Google ads are for the most part safe (there is always the possibility - - ) I've been using a Chromium browser lately via a cloud setup. I somehow was directed to a link off of another website, and Google flat out told me not to go there. Not the usually IE message "do you want to go there" but a whole page telling me that going forward to this black listed link was not a good idea, and why. Just FYI

Get the linki going to that vip setup please ;) . Im wondering how much bandwidth this site actually uses as I dont think it could be that much.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

You guys gotta be creative with the ways to make money to fund this like for example maybe a contest of some sort every month where you just pay to play, do something fun and innovative you don't have to fund websites with ads. Maybe offer like some HHPlace gear not only does it get you some funds it gets you more attention to this site because of advertising. Not every site utilizes ads to generate revenue you just have to creative and different with it.

That VIP membership was not something that was ever advertised, and that was deliberate, it was something I chose to give to folk who genuinely wanted to help out. I didnt want anybody thinking it was a "Pay to get more" system, it was deliberately done as a thank you to those who didnt expect, nor ask for more, and that will never change.

It hasnt been re-implemented yet, as there just isnt enough hours in the day... Dont forget folks, we all have to work too... Now more than ever...

None of this refers to those pop-up ads either, it all refers to the regular google ads, which by the way, we are NEVER allowed to ask you or encourage you to click on, as this is breaking the terms of the agreement wih Google in using them.

For those of you worried about the bandwidth usage of your internet, dont be. Those ads make up less than 0.01% of the amount of data your transferring compared to the page size itself. (Massively rounding it up to a sensible number thats easy to read)

You guys gotta be creative with the ways to make money to fund this like for example maybe a contest of some sort every month where you just pay to play, do something fun and innovative you don't have to fund websites with ads. Maybe offer like some HHPlace gear not only does it get you some funds it gets you more attention to this site because of advertising.

Not every site utilizes ads to generate revenue you just have to creative and different with it.

Thanks for the offer of creating some HHPlace merchandise, thats awesome, do show us what you come up with, I look forward to that, and also thanks for volunteering to start a contest too, fantastic :-)

That folks, is the spirit of "Its our website, we need to do what we can to look after it" :-)

Much better than those other sites who just leave everything to 1 person, offer zero ideas, and never chip in with some effort to help out...

Thanks heelsthisguy, much appreciated :-)

Not being sarchastic either by the way, am deadly serious....

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

The contest thing. I compile crosswords and could certainly give you one a month,with a mostly heels theme, if someone else could deal with the technical stuff and work out how to make money out of it. Or other puzzly stuff. It's mostly wordy coming from me. Feel free to shoot me down in flames if it's a non-runner. No-one's ever asked me to click. Don't you just do it because you know that's how it's paid for? I sometimes click and then click off. I pay £5 for 250MB, so don't any of you boys tell me about data usage as an excuse.

i dont understand why ppl use ad blockers, I like my free internet, and ads are just the way this is possible, plus ggl does such a fine job that the ads I see everywhere are shoe ads and there is nothing wrong with that. I think that I will make the purpose of clicking a banner everytime I visit, I dont encourage people to do that however, since it would be bad and against regulation :P

Jdmonto: part of it is security. Ad hosting sites are favored targets of malicious hackers since they can be used to feed bad code to your computer for scams or malware. Why hack 1000 websites when you can get one ad server that feeds 1000 websites?

to me it sounds more like paranoia, i mean i understand the risk, but it sounds like someone savy enough to use adblockers for this reason probably can have an updated antivirus, firewqll, use incognito tab or other measure, i have never used adblockers and havent had serious security problems, i just dont click or download e erything i see. It bugs me because on android we have the same issue and i like free (legal) stuff, but developers cant make ad revenue if everone blocks ads so they have to start charging.

Jdmonto: the problem is antivirus makers are always plaaying catch up, one step behind smart and motivated people. I suspect those who use ad blockers are not doing so with the intent to steal free content, but yes, it is screwing up the current model for allowing a website such as hhplace to be self sustaining. The threat level depends on your platform. Most apple products have been safe since they were a small percentage of the market, so usually ignored. Java script is a popular entry point, as is pdf files. Think of it this way, RSA, a major company involved in computer security got their most precious sectets stolen when someone working for them clicked on an infected attachment. It is not paranoia, there sre people activly trying to get your info or access your computer. It is nice that hhplace is well monitored so if there is a problem it will likely not affect the users, but elsewhere not so much.

Although none have ever been caught to my knowledge I would think that the likelihood of the viruses and cures both coming from the same source are quite high. Profitable deception is my name for it.