Most Of You Guys Like The Stiletto Click Sound?

Curt

I just don't think heels should be quiet. I have a few pairs of pumps with rubber tips, and all I hear is the thump of the sole. I'm in the process now of replacing all my quiet heels with loud plastic tips. I just love the sound. Isn't that part of the allure of high heels, the high pitched click! There are even some who have metal tips! Total heel lovers here!

Yea, rubber is a bit quieter, but rubber has some grip on those slippery floor and last longer.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I just replaced plastic heel tips, on a pair of ankle boots with rubber tips. Much safer on slippery floors. They still make a soft clicking sound and I feel much safer wearing them. 4-3/4" oval heels, with 3/4" platform. Happy Heeling, bluejay

I like the loud sound when I'm heeling alone, but on future outings in real heels I'll keep my heels quit to avoid attention. My wedge sneakers are very silent, just like regular sneakers.

I could walk on sunshine, but I chose heels instead.

On her: loud clicking is a nice attention grabbing sound, but to be honest, the sound itself doesn't really do that much for me one way or the other. On me: I would rather it be quiet when possible, but otherwise, its usually not a big deal if they do make some noise. Although, I have changed the tips from plastic to rubber on a couple of pairs and I recall there was one pair of block heels I got rid of that sounded like gunshots going off, and they weren't worth the time or effort to fix.

I am just the other way around compared to you, Pumpcat. I really don't like to draw too much attention on myself by having the loud stiletto "click" sound. Apart from that, I slipped & nearly fell to the ground when walking in my Michael Kors high heeled booties for the first time, when the streets were still wet from the rain - that never happened to me with rubber tips. So far, I always brought new shoes to my cobbler, got a rubber sole put on them to protect them and got the tips exchanged. The only pairs where I haven't done so so far are my CL booties (haven't worn them yet, as the weather was just too bad), and my Christian Dior men's booties that also have a heel. Funny thing is - the men's booties make as much sound as some REALLY high heel stilettos (although they are just 5 cm high), and I had lots of people turning their heads when I walked in them. When they are worn down, I will also get them replaced with a rubber heel at some point. I guess I just don't like to advertise that I am wearing heels that much. People are turning heads already when I am out in a skirt, or when I wear knee-high boots (I always wear them over my trousers).

I find the sounds of metal or plastic tipped stilettos are gratifying to hear as I stroll along in some venues that are compatible to feeling safe that they won't slip. Otherwise on the hard smooth surfaces, such as I have found in most shopping malls, airport walk ways, and the traffic lanes in many stores; I'm far more comfortable with rubber tipped heels. Actually, I prefer metal tips more than plastic because metal doesn't break apart as I walk and they have a longer wear span before relacements are needed. The important thing is that you are comfortable, graceful, and confident/secure while wearing your selected heels. Portraying an awkward gait or silhouette will bring much more unwanted and undesired attention than any clicking sounds. People do notice heels being worn whether by guys or gals. As to how others act or react to men wearing heels depends a lot on the demeanor and sense of humor perceived. So go share the wonderful experiences of heeling in public with others.

I just like the sound of the plastic tips. If girls can have loud heels why can't we? The whole arrure of high heels is the click sound, or they wouldn't be made with loud heels.

On her: loud clicking is a nice attention grabbing sound, but to be honest, the sound itself doesn't really do that much for me one way or the other.

On me: I would rather it be quiet when possible, but otherwise, its usually not a big deal if they do make some noise...

I think this sums it up best for me as well. In the past I've replaced noisy tips, but as long as they are in good condition now, I don't bother. Given a choice, I'd go with rubber tips, but it's not a big deal for me. Women need not have noisy heels for me to notice them and some shoes sound good, but don't look good.

The heel clicking for me is part of the "magic", either for a woman walking or myself, considering I have an isolated place to avoid the curious. Otherwise, the quieter, the better. But the rubber sole heels are not as good as a traditional hard sole (synthetic or, even better - leather). I think heels are not made to be comfortable or silent. What is the fun if they are like sneakers?

I really like making noise with my shoes, but one thing I've discovered is that the plastic tips just don't wear well enough for me. In my personal experience, they're worn completely down in a little bit of no time, and looking kind of raggedy long before that. Therefore, I'm willing to give up some of the noise for durability. I have not been heeling long enough to wear out a pair of Vibram heel tips yet. Those suckers are tough!

Check this out! I told my cobbler to make my high heel boots the loudest he could get them. He put some really hard tips on. Not plastic but polyurathame I think and then hammered in 4 nails in then to turn them into metal tips. They sound awesome! I better not wear them on someones nice hardwood floors!

Check this out! I told my cobbler to make my high heel boots the loudest he could get them. He put some really hard tips on. Not plastic but polyurathame I think and then hammered in 4 nails in then to turn them into metal tips. They sound awesome! I better not wear them on someones nice hardwood floors!

Huh. . . You know, I did something similar, but much more crudely with an old beat-up pair of (lower heeled) clogs I used to have. The heel was wearing through, and I didn't want to spend money on them, as they were fairly cheap Chinese junk. I used to drag my heels quite a bit when I walked, a habit I've had to break since taking up heel-wearing. Dragging your heels doesn't look very nice, and it's too danged expensive with high heels!

At any rate, I screwed two 10x1 panhead screws into each heel in lieu of a tap. That made them pretty noisy all right. The downside was that you had to be really careful about walking on any sort of slick floor like tile or smooth concrete (like you'd find in a garage). I never wound up on my backside, but I came close a couple of times.

Let us know how the nails work out. I'm curious. I'm a little afraid to try that for the above-mentioned reason. I imagine they'd be pretty durable.

• 2 months later...

My girlfriend gave me a pair of 3 1/2 inch heel stilettos with only front straps. During a recent trip to a restaurant for dinner, we had to walk down a flight of wooden steps inside the place. The clacking sound on the steps along with the snap of the shoe on my bare soles caused almost all eyes to stare. But, I had the confidence to keep walking and clacking. There was a woman there wearing almost the same shoes, who complimented me on my look and how well I walked.

legbarer17, If the sounds are there be prepared for the looks. I don't ever try to hide my heels as I want people to know that I like to wear heels and am not afraid to show them off. Good for you having enough confidence to keep walking. I'm proud of you as a new heeler and a new member to the site. Welcome to HHP. Happy Heeling, bluejay

A clickety sound from your heels is a must. All my taller heels are metal (I replace immediately when I buy shoes). They sound fabulous in malls, concourses and atriums with hard surfaces that echo. Knowing the sound comes from my feet is empowering. I openly wear heels and enjoy the sound, my shoes announce my arrival long before I get there.... As others have said metal heels can be slippery on hard and smooth surfaces but its not a big deal and practice makes perfect. There's nothing like the unexpected little heel skid to keep things exciting... The only down side is when there are suspicious people around, I don't enjoy the vulnerable feeling I get when my heels make my location really obvious and track-able, or they limit where I can go. I can control for this so its not much of an issue but in reality it does happen now and again.. cheers Heel-Lover

Love to hear the click but it's nice to be subtle and just get on with it without the fuss. Hate the loud booming heels that echo off every wall. Al

I'm not into producing much sounds for myself either. Love it when women do it though. Always makes me check out the source. On a sidenote, have any of you experienced hearing the stiletto click and looking around thinking you get to see something spectacular, only to see a woman walk by in like ballet flats or something else low and unspectacular? The sound does not always match up with that you expect.

I'm not into producing much sounds for myself either. Love it when women do it though. Always makes me check out the source.

On a sidenote, have any of you experienced hearing the stiletto click and looking around thinking you get to see something spectacular, only to see a woman walk by in like ballet flats or something else low and unspectacular? The sound does not always match up with that you expect.

You got that right about the sound. I wear my Georgio Bruttini, flats and they make a clicking sound the same as if I was wearing, hard tip heel stilettos. Sounds can be deceiving!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• 3 weeks later...

We have been programmed to think the clicking sounds of some one walking means there is going to be or there presently is visible attractive people wearing their heels. As men become more prominent heelers, I hope this scenario will stay intact, but due to the fact of being a man and wanting the wearers to be female, I'll be a bit less inflated by seeing men in heels. Sorry guys, that's my straightness coming through. However, a discussion of sorts or nurturing a friendship with each of them, men or women, would be great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh, I just LOVE the clicking sound my heels make! I don't care if that attracts stares from passersby, I'm no exhibitionist, but I refuse to hide who I am, what I do, or the shoes I love to wear. PERIOD!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!