"click"

Megan, the battery replaced a wind up clockwork device. It was called a starting handle. I can just about remember my dad starting one of his cars that way when the battery was flat. Here's a photo of one I found online: http://a2.ec-images....95a4c7bf7/l.jpg

It reminds me of the thing the clown used to turn the titles at the end of Camberwick Green.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It reminds me of the thing the clown used to turn the titles at the end of Camberwick Green.

Camberwick Green? Isn't that found at the bottom of the Walworth Road on the way to Herne Hill? :wave:

Normally I would have said to keep it on topic, but with your car now up and running there's not much more to be said.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

No more can be said about my car problem it's true. Nonetheless I have great hopes for this thread. It may well metamorphosize into something of great beauty if its allowed to blossom don't you think?

Anyway, I looked a bit further and found this http://en.wikipedia....amberwick_Green I was delighted to find I could remember the tunes to all the songs. Some of the characters do seem a bit dubious when you consider the words. I mean, Mr Dagenham is nothing but a spiv, and I hardly think Captain Snort sounds like he'd pass a CRB check, but it sounds like Mr Crockett would be a jolly useful chap for you to know, Amanda, if you make a habit of leaving your lights on on Friday nights.

As Brian Cant was so good on children's television, it's always astonished me that he was able to write anything so thoroughly unreadable as his Critique of Pure Reason.

Maybe if anyone has car trouble you can post it here and we could give the "Pep Boys" a real dose of competition? There's so much knowledge and talent here it is almost as frightening as the height of our heels. Tires, tools, and heels......oh my!! HappyinHeels

That sounds like an idea, and I'm all for giving prep school boys a run for their money. Teach them what life is about before they go to Eton and it might stop them from messing all our lives up.

Like sticking a starting handle up their big ends. Oh, sorry, I forgot. That's standard practice at prep schools :evil:

That sounds like an idea, and I'm all for giving prep school boys a run for their money. Teach them what life is about before they go to Eton and it might stop them from messing all our lives up.

Megan.. he said ' Pep Boys '.. its a parts store franchise.. not a school ;)

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Megan,

They're right I was talking about the "Pep Boys" of U.S. auto parts fame but I sort of like the "Prep Boys" angle too. Imagine their horror at being stranded on the side of the road and a high-heeled samiritan comes along to teach them a lesson in survival auto mechanics. It might be called "Heels and Wheels" but I'm just daydreaming. On the hand, there's a lot of daydreamers who are now wealthy and retired somewhere. Hmmmmmmm, better get back to work....daydreaming. HappyinHeels

Too funny, I enjoyed every bit of this thread! Yes, living in Minnesota jumper cables are a necessity and everyone knows how to use them. Being artificially "Minnesota nice" you would have had quite the line up of people proving how nice they think they are with offerings of a jump. Glad you got your car going, Amanda!

Peeptoe heels are my passion... and flexibility: www.Flexines.net

Hi, Sangue. I'm troubled by your inverted commas in 'Minnesota nice'.I've just been watching a historical documentary about Minnesota called Little House on the Prairie. They implied that the bad chaps always lost out to the nice people then saw the error of their ways. Has it changed that much?

Megan, Megan, Megan what oh what will we do with you????? The "Little House on the Prairie" of American TV fame was never in Minnesota but in Kansas. I have seen the house as it is not far from some relatives of mine near Coffeyville, Kansas. Minnesota, being a state of the Midwest, does indeed have prairies in its western and southern halves along with forests, swamps, hilly areas, raging rivers, and lots of lakes all in an area of 224,000 square kilometres or the same size as the island of Great Britain but our friend Laura was not living in Minnesota but in Kansas. Minneosota is a nice place quite similar to Wisconsin where I live but there is one big difference: they have this strange devotion to a crappy football team that wears purple and gold uniforms. Other than that, they're really COOL people! HappyinHeels

I think Megan was referring to having watched an historical documentary about Minnesota called Little House on the Prairie.

Anyway Minnesota/Kansas, are in America so they're pretty much the same really.