Modify Shaft Width?

I just discovered Nordstrom Rack in Las Vegas. What a gold mine!! Not only huge markdowns on end of season boots and shoes, but a good selection in sizes up to 13. I found several pairs of leather Franco Sarto and other brand knee-high boots, both low heel riding style and some with mid-high block heels, but on all of them the top 4 inches of the shafts are too tight to zip up over my man-calves. I was surprised to find that none of these have elastic gores, which I thought was nearly standard on tall boots. I can force the zippers up fully, but they are very tight.

So my question to the esteemed members here is twofold: first, do you think I can expect the leather of the upper shaft to stretch out any, if I force the zippers up and wear them for a while? In the alternative, has anyone ever taken boots to a cobbler and had them install an elastic gore?

I really hate to pass up these deals, as these are $200+ real leather boots for less than half price, and in my size on top of that.

"It's just a flesh wound"

Hi, I guess a skilled craftsman can insert elastics in the top part of the shafts but it might affect the overall fit. Keep in mind that those shafts was designed for not having elastic inserts. Yes, the leather will stretch a bit but unless the tightness is very modest, I don´t believe they will stretch enough to become comfortable.

Thanks for the input, 4608. Well, I couldn't pass up the deal - Franco Sarto "Tess" boots (http://pinterest.com/pin/152066924889161773/) in dark brown leather for under $70. So I went back to Nordstrom Rack and tried them on again; the size 13 fit great in the foot and everywhere else except for the tight upper calf. I put both boots on and walked around the shoe area for a few minutes, and in that time the tightness at the very top seemed to work itself out a little bit. Sold! I plan to wear them inside on the carpet for some break-in, and if the shaft does relax a bit and adjust to my calf it's all good and I add them to my outside heeling wardrobe. If not I have 30 days to return them and I'm sure my job will have me back in Vegas within that time.

"It's just a flesh wound"