Does Anyone Like High Heel Oxfords?

barney15c

This style seems to be back in fashion, i seem to remember when i was at school back in the late 1970's the 6th form girls used to wear these, and even back when i was a teenager i wanted a pair, but had neither the nerve or the means to buy some

So i have been making up for it by buying a few pairs when i have seen them in my size.

Here is what i have managed to get so far:

Me Too Lisbon Brown Suede - bought from Ebay

American Eagle Javlin Shootie - from Payless (Through an intermediate on ebay).- These are the closest i have seen to the shoes i mentioned about when i was young so was very please to get something very similar.

Fioni Jax Womens Oxford Shootie - from Payless again from the same source- these have a platform sole like the Brash Komet pump and have only just come out.

http://www.payless.c...playName=Womens

I also have a blue pair of Oxfords from Evans but havent been able to get a picture of them as they are in my loft.

Does anyone else like this type of shoe?

post-139-0-28317400-1351463718_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-40504800-1351463739_thumb.jpg

Edited by barney15c

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!!!

I absolutely love Heeled Oxfords. My 3.5" 9West's are among the most worn pair of heels I have in my closet as they are versatile for all social occassions from parties to dates to just chilling with friends. From being worn with bare legs and shorts to worn with pants, the heeled oxford is a definite staple in my closet.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I love that style of shoe. I saw sow something similar to this in real leather which I really liked, can't find the pic now though.

Posted Image

These are not oxfords.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Guest IronCross

I've had my eye on the Jax from Payless since they went up on the website but I've been trying to hold off. I think this thread is a sign I should just order them. To answer the question, yes I do like heeled oxfords. In fact they're rapidly becoming my "go to" heels. The Interest oxfords from Payless are my favorite heels right now. There are other styles from other brands I would like to get but finding them in women's US13 doesn't always work out.

Not that my opinion counts for anything, but I detest tie shoes. It probably goes back to my childhood when my parents made me wear them. I had flat feet and I had to wear "corrective" shoes. (They didn't correct anything and my feet are still flat). I much preferred loafers and couldn't wait until I became a teen and could get to wear the shoes I wanted to. To this day I don't like oxfords and don't own any. Steve

With a heel they're usually called Gibsons but Derby is still quite correct for that style.

According to what authority besides your own word does a Gibson have a heel? Citation of authority outside your own word please. Thanks.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Can someone answer this, strictly speaking does an oxford have to have a punched design on it, doesnt male oxford shoes have this design feature or is it a brogue or does an oxford have a toe cap,,,im confused can someone educate us on this, im sure dr shoe would have a good idea about this.

I love that style of shoe. I saw sow something similar to this in real leather which I really liked, can't find the pic now though.

Posted Image

At first i thought these were pleasers, but on closer inspection i dont think they are as pleasers have 8 eyelets as opposed to 6 , nice though!

I've had my eye on the Jax from Payless since they went up on the website but I've been trying to hold off. I think this thread is a sign I should just order them. To answer the question, yes I do like heeled oxfords. In fact they're rapidly becoming my "go to" heels. The Interest oxfords from Payless are my favorite heels right now. There are other styles from other brands I would like to get but finding them in women's US13 doesn't always work out.

Back to my reply I did not get the quote right but I have several pairs of oxfords and jus ordered the pair of jax today should have them by the end of the week will let you know how I like them. I do like a high heel and they have a 5"

According to what authority besides your own word does a Gibson have a heel? Citation of authority outside your own word please. Thanks.

The term is largely interchangeable to be fair. In the factory I worked we tended to call the ladies heeled shoes Gibsons and the flats (ladies' and men's) Derbies. You are right though, Gibsons don't have to have a heel.

Can someone answer this, strictly speaking does an oxford have to have a punched design on it, doesnt male oxford shoes have this design feature or is it a brogue or does an oxford have a toe cap,,,im confused can someone educate us on this, im sure dr shoe would have a good idea about this.

At first i thought these were pleasers, but on closer inspection i dont think they are as pleasers have 8 eyelets as opposed to 6 , nice though!

No not at all. The difference is the way the lace facings are attached to the shoe. In an Oxford (named after the university town where students made them popular) the vamped is stiched over the bottom of the facings so that when you open the shoe up they make a Vee shape. In a Derby (named after the Duke Of Derby who popularised the style) the facings are joined to the shoe with a short row of double stitching above the vamp so that they can open right out, almost like a saddle shoe. The Gibson is (IIRC) named after a woman who had had particularly wide feet and so wore that style because she could get them on easier. I seem to remember that they can also be called "Saddle Bluchers" too.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

The good Doctor has come up with an excellent explaination, thank you very much! The high heeled oxford and gibson are 2 of my most favourite styles, if only they did more styles in larger sizes.

I admire the Oxford style very much. I have one pair with heels at 14 cm (about 5 1/2") with metal tips. They are a little to high for me, but I sleep in them to keep angle my feet. I also use them when sitting at my desk/computer. Also the metal tips has to changed to plastic not to damage my floor :-) My goal is to be in them 24/7, but at the time I still have to use my lovely spanish Lola Shoes at 12 cm (about 4 3/4 ") when working around in my home. They are good leather quality and have been my dear good friend for many years now. Heellover

I went ahead and bought the Payless Fioni Jax shoes Barney posted at the very start of the thread because they were so darn cheap, I figured if I didn't like them, its no big loss. Well, I just got them in the mail today and they fit great. They are actually very comfortable and totally easy to walk in. I am absolutely pleased with this purchase (I even got free shipping for them by searching for a discount code online, so $30 total was all I paid).

The good Doctor has come up with an excellent explaination, thank you very much!

The high heeled oxford and gibson are 2 of my most favourite styles, if only they did more styles in larger sizes.

So any lace up shoe then?

Check the American ebay web sight, there may be some one who has a pair to ship over seas.

They wont ship to the UK - Argh!!!

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

• 2 weeks later...

Jarl Atari I'm in the UK...as you may remember as I sold you some shoes a way back. Sometimes you have to be a bit more resourceful if you want something from Payless. Two choices both involve a bit of money.. Take a chance on eBay usa and hope they have what you want and the seller is willing to send abroad or do what i do and get someone to buy on your behalf and ship them over for a small handling fee. I have a lady who I have used for several years and she is most professional and charges reasonable fees, usually $10 a pair. From what I know the 13s jax Oxfords have sold out on Payless so unless a pair comes up on eBay you may be unsuccessful. Dr Shoe I have 4 pairs of heeled lace ups now, trouble is if you take a uk10 they can be hard to come by, if I could find them I'd get them :) With one exception not a fan of the Ellie/pleaser offerings which would be the most likeliest option for an oxford shoe in my size.

• 3 weeks later...