Oder

If it is the leather that is issueing the smell then I might tend to think of some sort of eighteen carbon parifin carried in on a methanol solvent with just a touch of glycol. But as I see it without knowing the kind of smell or the chemical carrying the olfactry signature I can not be specific. Sitll there are about three ways to go one seal in the smell. Two add some chemical with a strong counter smell. Three add some chemical that will covailently or ionicly bond and thereby change the nature of the molicule. Once a while back I wanted to alter the color of a pair of black boots and got no useable suggestions anywhere so by accedent I found that the pigment was some form of mecury bichromate and that zincsulphate would convert the chromium to zinc-chromate which is yellow and the mecury to mecurysulphate which is orange. Please any chemical engineers out there go easy on me as I am not a chemist but I did use zincsulphate to turn the black boots from black to blochy yellowishorange. Anyway the result was what I wanted and smell can be adjusted in similar fashion.

Air them. If they are new, then they may have only been made a short time before you brought them. Leave them in a well ventilated place or outside it weather permits & I'd bet a pound to a penny the smell will dissipate after a few days. Before the great suggestions (fabreeze) I'd certainly try this first.

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.