Would You Encourage Your Male Kids...?

quidam

Encourage a son to wear heels? Sure I would if he showed an interest to do so, by all means yes! And as mention above show love and compassion to that person as well, it is a package deal. I do not have any kids, but knowing the struggles I had dealing with my shoe/boot interest I would be very happy to help a son or a younger person feel good about wearing heels and be a sounding board save that person the lengthy issues many of us faced. Mtnsofheels

• 2 weeks later...

Encourage or allow? I hope that he does not ever go through the misery or the obsession I do over something so trivial. I have missed out on so much be cause of my obsession. That is part of The reason I don't care. No, I would not encourage him. More to my answer than there is time to type

I've read much in many threads of this forum, about men's heeling mainstreaming, and ideas of that sort.

I want to ask your opinions, ideas, etc. on the folowing: Would you encourage your male kids to "free-styling" fashion?. Would you somehow encourage your male kids to heeling?. How would you do so?.

I

And here are my first two cents on this issue:

I am a single, heterosexual man - no kids that I know!. If I had a son, the same as if I had a daughter, for health issues I would buy them any heels - not even kitty-heels, until their teens. But if my son liked some shoes not labeled as "boys", that could pass as unisex with some ease, I wouldn't doubt in buying them for him - say flats, ballerinas, maryjanes, boots(ies), sandals, sneakwers, loafers, etc.

When grown up, as a teenager with a developing or developed taste for fashion and style, I wouldn't oppose if he would like to wear "femmier" shoes.

Would I encourage my son (if I had one) to freestyle?

Only if he wanted to. Men and women are different but yet in away the same. Not every women wants to be the girly type just like every man doesn't want to be the macho type. We all have are limes and dislikes. I think that no matter if it where my son or daughter I would encourage them to be who they are.

All I would offer is the advice: Be yourself... If that's what you want to do, do it while you are younger, because the older you get the more difficult it will be later on.

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

• 1 month later...

Presently my 21 year old son doesn't know about my heel collection but if I walked in on him trying them on after "discovering" them I think I'd play it cool. Talk about them if he wants to or let him borrow some. Whatever! I would just give him space to experiment. Thing is he's size 11 and I'm size 9 so it isn't likely to happen! He is very specific about his clothes and spends a lot of money on them. His girlfriend is studying fashion buying at Uni so most likely takes some direction from her. Actually I'd love him to just turn up one evening wearing 4in stilettos and leggings :text_wow:

I would not suggest to my son to wear heels. If on his own he started wearing them then I would make sure that he knows that I am okay with it and support him in whatever way seems most appropriate at the time. What I really hope is that my son would feel okay to come to us about it or do it openly. I told my mom about my thing for heels in my mid to late teens because I wanted to mail order a pair of shoes and I needed a credit card to do it. At the time she told me that she wished that I had felt more open to mention it to her before that point when I needed help. Being a scared and stupid teenager I still kept my heels basically to myself until my late twenties. A couple years ago I asked her if she remembered telling me that she wished that I had been more open about my heels at an earlier age. She did remember that and I wound up sharing quite a bit. Today she is my biggest supporter. She has seen most of my shoes. Now at 75 she cannot walk in heels anymore and she has said that she is envious of the shoes that I can wear. I pointed out that it is funny how the table turns. So my point is, my gosh, if I had just been this open about it when I first started being interested in heels I could have had a lot of support, a lot less stress, and probably a better collection of shoes at a younger age. I really hope that as my son grows that my wife and I make an environment that is safe for him to do whatever makes his heart sing. If that is wearing heels or a dress or whatever I sure hope he knows that we have his back and he is okay to share it with us. Best, AZShoeNut

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!