Heels And Flying

pattianne71

One of the occasions I have to wear heels is when I travel. Great to get out to a new city where I do not have to fear pumping into one of kids teachers. On such trips, I like to start my heeled adventure with the flight out of town. So I will pick a pair of conservative pumps, nothing over three inches of heel and wear them to the airport. Love the clicking of the heels on those long concourses. Nice to know the sound is from my shoes, rather than envying some woman wearing her's. Security is the nervous point for me. One your standing still with every on in the queue and then taking your heels off and placing them in the tube as you wait for going through the scanning machine. At this point, I am flat foot like everyone else, but I am in hose, usually black or brown, depending on my shoes. Not just hose, but with red or burgundy painted toes. I do not travel without a pedi before I leave. I have drawn some very inquisitive looks. A few parents pulling their children away, as if my propensity for wearing such is going to leap from me to them. The high heel and hosiery virus -- a highly contagious airborne disease. With all the worry, these adventures come off without a hitch. I enjoy several days of heel wearing and relaxing profoundly sitting in a park reading or feeding the ducks. I know it may be blasphemous in these pages. but I will also wear flats, from ballet to a really nice pair I have with 1 inch wedge heels that click louder than by high heel pumps. Do others wear heels when they fly?.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have flown in 4 inch stiletto heels. Airport security at the time was no problem but I did have to take them off. Also in the safety presentation just before the flight they do remind you to remove your heels in the event of a water landing.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I've worn heels on numerous international flights. Arctic here probably has the most experience in the field of anyone on the board though. Never once have I had an issue. Security can't tell who the shoes belong to when going through the xray machine and if you Act As If it's no big deal when slipping off your heels, people just generally don't notice. They're more concerned with their things, their feet catching germs from the floor, and their flight. With that said, I don't favor heels in airports because they just aren't practical for pulling luggage and making quick transfers.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I wore my 5" stiletto boots one time taking a european flight with a connection through Copenhagen. Its was a great heeling outing and made me appreciate quite how big airports can be. The security went fine. I just took my boots off and put them on the conveyor. Nobody really seemed to notice. I had a quite a few looks but no comments. Clicking around the duty free shops was fun. In such a situation checking out female perfumes seems to confuse the sales ladies a bit.... While waiting in the passport control queue I could hear a group of middle aged women behind me quietly discussing my heels, so I made sure I moved my heels a bit to give them a good look. On the flights it was nice to stride up the aisle and then sit down & stretch out my legs and admire the sight of my own stilettos.

My 5" cowboy boots and crotch highs are always in my bag while it is passing thourhg the xray, can only wear my normal cowboy boots while working...More than one security scanner has asked me: "Is this your bag"? I just smile and say yes...

Hi, I fly a lot and I have worn very high stilettos and a skirt/ dress (as a guy) on many occasions. I would be wearing tall heels at least half the time I fly, the other half would be 3-4 inches. I don't think I have worn flats for some time when flying.... I too enjoy the sound of my heels in airports etc... but thats no different than the mall/ street etc...The sound of my shoes is a part of who I am and I enjoy that. I dread the security scanners because my heels usually set the alarm off, and I have had to take them off on one occasion. The worst thing I've had this year was flying back home after it had snowed heavily while I was away. This was quite unseasonal and I returned in heels and a skirt suit. I had parked my car in long term parking and had to walk to it. This is not normally an issue as the footpaths are concreted etc.. but with snow had come ice and frosts in the days following so by the time I returned there was no snow or ice just footpaths covered in course gravel to prevent slipping. So there I was towing a heavy case in a skirt suit and a very high pair of stilettos in gravel sprinkled over concrete. It was uncomfortable, there was no alternative route and I felt really awkward but I was not going to take my heels off. I also recently caught a flight that disembarked using rear stairs onto the tarmack. I was seated toward the back so had to get off that way. After walking across the tarmack we had to go up a metal exterior staircase to get access back into the airbridge and then into the terminal. Well.... the blasted staircase was a metal grating one and I was wearing skinny heels which were just going to drop right through, so I had to walk in tip toes up the stairs and across the two landings until back in the airbridge! That was not very glamorous but I was glad I was not the only one in the same predicament. On another trip I caught a heel on a large mat near the top of the down escalator in one of the lounges. I almost when down on my ass, and I flicked half the mat over on itself, but I just straightened up and kicked the edge of the rugback in place and continued on my way (very grateful I hadn't come a cropper in such a public arena) As a side note.... has anyone else tried lifting very heavy suitaces off the converyer at the airport when wearing high heels?... It's actually very hard to do! The higher the heels the harder it is. Even lifting my case onto the belt/scale when checking in for a flight is really akward in high heels. I know what it is like and if I'm wearing more sensible shoes I will always offer to help another heel wearer (especially if they're perched on tall sticks and are fending for themselves) Cheers Heel-Lover

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm just back Ireland flying no problem whatsoever. Curious looks is all I got I Ireland a bit more then in the Netherlands

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

• 2 weeks later...

I travel by air quite a bit for my job, usually on a commercial airline and a couple of times a client has sent their executive airplane to pick mu up and return home. I would not call it a problem but an experience, going through security. After getting out of my briefcase/backpack and removing my usual four-inch stiletto I head to the scanners on tip toe because my crutches are sized for me in a four-inch heel and are not adjustable. I enter the scanner and hand my crutches to the attendnt and try to stand still on one foot during the scan. The personnel at my home airport know me and are very accomodating. After the scan I ask the attendnt to place my shoe on the floor and slip into it while standing. When I travel I wear a pump, slingback or even a mule and avoid a sandal or pump that has an ankle strap. Completing the security process is always a good feeling for me and heightened when I hear my heel click on the hard flooring but not the cadance of a person in two heels. E

• 3 weeks later...

Well, flying from Chicago to Florida today, and wearing my Rick Owens boots. Might not have been the best choice as I obviously still need practice in these before walking distances, such as gate changes. can feel it in my feet already.

Posted Image

(formerly known as "JimC")

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There shouldn't be any problem with flying in heels so long as you can properly work the rudder pedals.

ROFLMAO! OMG! WHY didnt I think of some comment like that!

Bravo dude!

-Ilk

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

There shouldn't be any problem with flying in heels so long as you can properly work the rudder pedals.

Or throw your leg over a broomstick

That is so funny, I wanted to say something like that. Try landing on a gusty day while working the rudder and the toe brakes. I haven't done it in heels but I'm sure if I did it would be a recipe for a ground loop.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

• 4 months later...

First time flying in heels! Second time out in these heels!

Just wanted to tell all about my last weekend trip. First time flying in heels and wearing my red Brash pumps in public for the second time. I had much support from several members here at HHPlace and really appreciate the advice which helped my confidence.

I flew from Atlanta to Baltimore Thursday and back on Sunday!

I headed off from home in my red pumps for the hour+ drive to a hotel near the airport to park my car. The front desk clerk, a younger good looking girl spotted me walking across the parking lot and as soon as I walked in stated, those are some hot heels! She asked about how I liked them and how long I had been wearing heels. She took my picture for me in the lobby before the shuttle arrived. She just loved the look. I asked what she thought about my air flight in heels and said go for it you look good. Off I went in the shuttle.

Got dropped off at the outside kiosk and checked my bag. Headed to TSA screening. No problem there and the folks behind me got a good look as I removed the pumps and placed them in the bin. No comments from TSA at all. Had to take advantage of the bench’s after the screening to put them back on but didn’t see anybody caring at all. Headed off to the underground train and my concourse and gate. Had a fellow take a picture of me waiting for the train but so what.

At the gate I had almost an hour and a half wait for my flight. While waiting I had my legs crossed and heels in full view. Had two younger women opposite me take pictures and comment how great the look was. One came over to sit with me and asked where I had purchased them as she needed a red pair herself. She also took a picture of me with my phone camera for me. A few minutes later another older women sat down across and immediately said she just loved my heels. Asked how I could walk in them as she didn’t think she could. She also took a photo. Anther women walked by several times and gave me the thumbs up and finally stopped for a final compliment. All these gave me a real rush and more confidence.

The flight was fine although my feet became sore from all the walking as the airport is quite large. After sitting my feet must have had a bit of swelling and after departing in Baltimore at the farthest gate from baggage claim I had to take them off and switch back to ugly men’s shoes. Would have been better if they were broken in.

Had a guys weekend away and spent Saturday in my Marcie knee boots with 4” heels with no comments from any of the guys.

My flight back from Baltimore was again in the red pumps. Same as Atlanta other than no comments at all from anybody. Had another hour plus wait at the gate with legs crossed and pumps in plain view. I sat in a row of seats with one other guy and 4 women and nobody said a thing. Not as friendly up north, I guess, but again nothing negative. Flight home was fine and my trip was a heeling success. I had a great time and the rush of wearing heels was fantastic!!

Guy’s if you have any concerns take it from me and just do it! Some of the advice given to me was wear the red pumps! Another was just put them on and go! That’s just what I did with no regrets.

The picture of myself standing was taken by the front desk clerk at the hotel. The rest were taken at the gate in Atlanta and Baltimore. J Sorry for rambling on.

post-870-0-97845900-1361919297_thumb.jpgpost-870-0-12616600-1361919308_thumb.jpgpost-870-0-71193900-1361919320_thumb.jpgpost-870-0-18173700-1361919338_thumb.jpgpost-870-0-60047300-1361919354_thumb.jpgpost-870-0-77934200-1361919368_thumb.jpg

Way to go JimnJ3! I wore those shoes in black suede this morning. I have thought about wearing them flying somewhere too. It is just not that frequent that I fly anywhere without the Mrs. who would prefer that I wear sneakers when flying. It sounds like it was a very nice adventure. Again, way to go! Best, Larry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Great adventure, Jim! BTW: foot swelling is very common on flights. It's normal.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

First time flying in heels! Second time out in these heels!

Just wanted to tell all about my last weekend trip. First time flying in heels and wearing my red Brash pumps in public for the second time. I had much support from several members here at HHPlace and really appreciate the advice which helped my confidence.

I flew from Atlanta to Baltimore Thursday and back on Sunday!

I headed off from home in my red pumps for the hour+ drive to a hotel near the airport to park my car. The front desk clerk, a younger good looking girl spotted me walking across the parking lot and as soon as I walked in stated, those are some hot heels! She asked about how I liked them and how long I had been wearing heels. She took my picture for me in the lobby before the shuttle arrived. She just loved the look. I asked what she thought about my air flight in heels and said go for it you look good. Off I went in the shuttle.

Got dropped off at the outside kiosk and checked my bag. Headed to TSA screening. No problem there and the folks behind me got a good look as I removed the pumps and placed them in the bin. No comments from TSA at all. Had to take advantage of the bench’s after the screening to put them back on but didn’t see anybody caring at all. Headed off to the underground train and my concourse and gate. Had a fellow take a picture of me waiting for the train but so what.

At the gate I had almost an hour and a half wait for my flight. While waiting I had my legs crossed and heels in full view. Had two younger women opposite me take pictures and comment how great the look was. One came over to sit with me and asked where I had purchased them as she needed a red pair herself. She also took a picture of me with my phone camera for me. A few minutes later another older women sat down across and immediately said she just loved my heels. Asked how I could walk in them as she didn’t think she could. She also took a photo. Anther women walked by several times and gave me the thumbs up and finally stopped for a final compliment. All these gave me a real rush and more confidence.

The flight was fine although my feet became sore from all the walking as the airport is quite large. After sitting my feet must have had a bit of swelling and after departing in Baltimore at the farthest gate from baggage claim I had to take them off and switch back to ugly men’s shoes. Would have been better if they were broken in.

Had a guys weekend away and spent Saturday in my Marcie knee boots with 4” heels with no comments from any of the guys.

My flight back from Baltimore was again in the red pumps. Same as Atlanta other than no comments at all from anybody. Had another hour plus wait at the gate with legs crossed and pumps in plain view. I sat in a row of seats with one other guy and 4 women and nobody said a thing. Not as friendly up north, I guess, but again nothing negative. Flight home was fine and my trip was a heeling success. I had a great time and the rush of wearing heels was fantastic!!

Guy’s if you have any concerns take it from me and just do it! Some of the advice given to me was wear the red pumps! Another was just put them on and go! That’s just what I did with no regrets.

The picture of myself standing was taken by the front desk clerk at the hotel. The rest were taken at the gate in Atlanta and Baltimore. J Sorry for rambling on.

post-870-0-97845900-1361919297_thumb.jpgpost-870-0-12616600-1361919308_thumb.jpgpost-870-0-71193900-1361919320_thumb.jpgpost-870-0-18173700-1361919338_thumb.jpgpost-870-0-60047300-1361919354_thumb.jpgpost-870-0-77934200-1361919368_thumb.jpg

JimnJ3,

I must say you looked very nice in your heels! They matched your sweater perfectly!

Thanks for sharing your story and if I may be so bold to ask, what brand are they? They appear to be a lovely shade of red....and I love the style! I would have probably been like one of the girls in Atlanta!

It's about Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of New Shoes!

Jim, Great story! Thanks for posting it and sharing it with us. That should give some of the less confident guys a little more encouragement. If you can wear red stiletto platforms through an airport, you can wear them just about anywhere in public. The demons in our heads are just there for ourselves. NOBODY else sees or hears them. I'm glad you had such a successful adventure and I hope you get a chance to do it again soon! Steve

Looking good, Jimnj3! Sounds like you got a lot of attention from the ladies! That's great. I'm sort of an attention getter myself! What an exciting trip, I've always wanted to strut in heels on a plane. The thing is though, I've been wearing heels for 10 years, every day, but havnt been on a plane in 15 years. Good you're keeping it real! Ashley.

Thanks everybody, I had a great time! Yes, red stilettos in the airport now make it easy almost everywhere else. As I said, all positive remarks from all the women that said anything. What a rush! DebbiNC, they are from Payless, Brash Komet Pumps. I just find it hard to believe how comfortable they are!! Thanks for asking and your comments! :) Jim

Love the look. I have worn heels several times as well never red though. It's a natural thing for your feet to swell. You're sitting in the same position for an extended period combined with lower air pressure. I always wear a pair that is normally a bit looser.