Boots 1 Size Too Large

I have a pair of 70s zip up boots that I got a higher heel and platform put on. They are light brown and have a nice weave pattern on top on where your toes go. They look like something nancy wilson from heart would wear. Anyway, they are 1 size too big. They are 10.5. I stuffed 2 insoles and a half an insole under the ball of the foot and have to wear double socks. After this they pretty much fit. But a can't walk in them very long. I guess you can't walk in platforms very long anyway. I usually don't buy boots that don't fit, but these look so cool. not very often can you find real 70s boots. I can't stand cowboy boots, but love platforms and frye campus boots. Are there any other ways to make my boots fit better? Any advise would be great!

There is no way to shrink footwear. your idea of stuffing them is the only way. However, the 'geometry' of the boot will make it uncomfortable.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Since they are boots, could you take up the extra space with some thick socks? If the boots go up high enough, you won't even see the socks.

Have a happy time!

• 3 weeks later...

Another thought is to take some Plasticine or oil clay and wrap in plastic wrap moulded to some shape to fill in the extra space. If that works well enough to go to the next step cut some burlap or fibreglass cloth and soak with GE silicone or two part urethane and make a more permanent space filler. Just be sure to mould the spacer with the socks or PH to be used.