Closed Toe Shoes Are Killing My Feet!

Sangue16

Question

At my current job, we are not allowed to wear open-toe shoes, so I had to buy some closed toe shoes. I am finding that already, after just three months, I might be developing some added bone tissue at the part of my pinky toes that hits the side of my shoe and the joint of my big toes. I used to wear open toe heels exclusively and wore heels during double shifts, up to 12 hours of standing in four inch heels. It was easy for me to vary the pressure on my feet because all open toe shoes are built differently and put pressure on feet differently. Usually I noticed marks on my middle three toes so I think a lot of pressure went there. Now it seems that the construction of closed toe shoes is putting pressure on my outside toes and I am worried about getting exaggerated joint bumps that could eventually put an end to my heel wearing. I even had a nightmare about it. I had a dreamt that I had grown two small phalanges branching off my big toes, like skinny fingers making the whole toe slightly resemble a bird's foot. In my dream, all the pressure on my big toes made these projections necessary to support the weight I was putting there. Feverishly checking my feet upon waking, I luckily didn't have them in and realized they would not fit in my heels anyways so these projections really could not develop from heel wearing. And it's absurd, lol. Still, I was frightened into thinking more carefully about my heels. I bought shorter heels and I hope 3 inches won't have to be my limit while I'm restricted to close toed!

Peeptoe heels are my passion... and flexibility: www.Flexines.net

9 answers to this question

You could try with different toeboxes, the shape is important, are your current shoe pointy? Narrow? You could try an almond or square shape to help with the issue.

I hate those dreams that are so vivid they still seem real when you wake up. Most disturbing. It seems harsh that you aren't allowed open toed shoes at work. Is it a safety issue? I wonder if you can get some device like a shoe tree that you could use to stretch the places where there's most pressure.

I find some manufacturers make their styles so narrow they're unwearable and I just avoid them now, while others are not so bad and some even do wide-fitting heels that aren't too frumpy and actually quite pretty. I think it's not just closed styles, sometimes peep-toes can be quite unforgiving too. Maybe you have a great excuse to spend time in every shoe-store in town trying to find what works for you. Good luck!

If you like it, wear it.

What about wide widths. I have experienced the same situation myself. I find I have to go up in size which surpisingly does not affect the overall length. May also want to consider real leather or fabrics instead of patent and synthetics. Good luck

Hmm, maybe real leather would help. My current heels are kind of almond shaped. The lower heels I bought are pointy but are surprisingly comfortable. They feel just a tad big and that might have something to do with it. Thanks for all the feedback!

You could try my latest purchase, Bandolino Varnissa bootie from DSW, you can see some pics in my album. I have wide feet cause of flat foot so i had to buy something with wide width. Surprizingly these shoes have quite some space inside. Maybe wider than some male flat shoes. Very confortable even for net 4" heels. They have leather upper too.

Edited by newheeler

Don't worry, be happy - in heels! :rocker:

I have never tried wide widths, I will try that next time I'm looking at heels. I will probably need heel grips in the back because my heels tend to slip out just a bit even in shoes that otherwise fit well. I wonder if it might be worth it to get some sort of foot protector that wraps around the front of my foot to guard against developing bunions? Thank you for the new suggestions!

What i do against bunions is excersise against the shoe shape whenever i take my high heels off, excersise in the evening before sleep. Also if you "must" wear those badly shaped shoes all day better take some comfy shoes, sport shoes or something with wide enough space in it change into them so your foot can rest time to time. If you got hereditary bunions you can't do much i'm afraid.

Edited by newheeler

Don't worry, be happy - in heels! :rocker: