The secret to walking in Ballet heels

totter

It is oh so easy. Forget all the training stuff. Firstly, you must cut your toe nails as short as possible. Next, the angle .... which is related to your body weight. Immedietly the shoe box goes to the wrong angle, you are screwed. The solution..... Fit L shaped metal object , which goes from where the heel starts to under the toebox. It is oh so simple. This removes pressure on the toebox. The only negative is visable duct tape. Over the years, have purchased many ballet boots. Wear them daily. Totter.

Can't understand what you are getting at, or how this piece of metal fits. Surely the problem is not just angle. It's a question of balance and strength in the ankles, acquired by practice in good-fitting boots.

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

A good Ballet boot toe box is reinforced. Sadly no one makes them anymore; do to competition of cheaper, less capable versions. That's why you see the toe box crumpled up in a lot of pictures.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

A good Ballet boot toe box is reinforced. Sadly no one makes them anymore; do to competition of cheaper, less capable versions. That's why you see the toe box crumpled up in a lot of pictures.

This is why I use a point shoe inside the boot with the void filled up to prevent the toe from crushing.

(formerly known as "JimC")

Perhaps I am wearing mine totally wrongly - but my feet fit snugly and when laced up , I have no weight specifically on my toes , the weight seems to be on the sides of my feet. Am I doing it all wrong ?

Perhaps I am wearing mine totally wrongly - but my feet fit snugly and when laced up , I have no weight specifically on my toes , the weight seems to be on the sides of my feet. Am I doing it all wrong ?

No this is exactly how you want them they should fit as tight as pointe shoes and if there too loose it puts all the pressure on on your toes.

Yes, I do walk in these

• 3 months later...

Another thing that I noticed that the ballet heels that I got for research purposes have the heel slanted sixty degrees from horizontal rather than thirty degrees to better fit and support.

Could you explain that some other way? The heels look vertical (90 degrees) to me.

Could I explain. Nuts here we have it again. The sender knows exactly what I mean and it is not clear to the receiver because I did not include enough specific information so I will have to be more careful. Great the heel shaft on the outside is vertical or as near vertical as should be. Now what I meant to say is inside where the heel bone goes that part of the insole slants down way too much steeper than a forty-five degree angle. When I point my foot and hold the lower leg vertical my heel takes an angle about thirty degrees from horizontal. If I then step on to forty-five angle with my heel it touches at the back not under the entire foot heel so then a steeper angle is even more useless. Hope I got it right this time.

This is why I use a point shoe inside the boot with the void filled up to prevent the toe from crushing.

That's a great idea. How many sizes bigger than your actual size did you order so the EnPoint shoe fit inside the ballet boot? I would usually order size 12. Would size 14 allow me to fit my EnPoint inside?

• 7 months later...

Rather than start another thread... I'm seriously thinking of getting some ballet boots, and looking at those on Ebay which are around £50. The seller is completely honest about them in that he says a hefty pull on the laces is likely to break the eyelets, and he suggests lace-up shoes as a better proposition. I like the cheaper price but I'm wondering whether I'd notice the reduced support a lot and find them harder to walk in. These are the ones he says might break: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ballet-ANKLE-BOOTS-black-18cm-7-very-High-Heel-sexy-PVC-UK-Goth-Fetish-/111020703784?pt=UK_Women_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item19d9598028 These are the ones he recommends: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ballet-ANKLE-strap-boots-black-18cm-7-very-High-Heel-Goth-Fetish-valentines-uk-/111021489404?pt=UK_Women_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item19d9657cfc I can't justify paying twice or three times the price so while I understand people's probably reply that I should go for better quality, it's a question of these or nothing.

John Milton

I'd go for the ones in the first link - first of all because the second ones look terrible for me. Sooner or later any eyelet might break. Some time ago I bought knee high lace-up ballet boots for about the same price. They weren't high quality but it worked for trying out ballet heels. After a year of lacing them tightly one lacing hook ripped out. But it waws worth it. Still happy I chose a boot style. It's worth to mention the ankle boots will support your ankles alot more while these oxford style heels won't do that at all. Today I'd go for more expensive ones. Main reason is because the Devious ballet boots lool more well-shaped and asthetically.

OK, many thanks for that. I suspected that would be the advice! I'll see if the first ones are still available.

By the way, I have an account with Netlog. I expect a lot of people know the site. It's a free social networking site, and I find it much more cosy than Facebook. The downside is a lot of spam, but the upside is quite a few people with a passion for heels, and I get quite a lot of attention as a man making plain I wear heels as a man, not as a CD. My profile is here: http://en.netlog.com...s_In_Boots You will probably have to register with the site to see it

John Milton