Reducing boot calf size myself?

Hi, I have searched the Shoe repair forum and found lots of great ideas to keep in mind for reducing the calf size of boots, but not a lot of detail regarding diy.

Dr. Shoe, in one of these posts, mentioned using two needles in hand sewing to make a stronger stitch like a sewing machine would. What else should I look out for? These are the boots, and although the picture doesn't show it, they zip up the back.

I was thinking I could cut the stitching around the zipper and carefully pull it apart, making not of how it was originally stitched. Then I could cut some fabric out like Laceups described in this thread, in thin wedges.

Any ideas? Has anyone else done this?

Peeptoe heels are my passion... and flexibility: www.Flexines.net

I've had all my tall shafted boots altered as you described by my local shoe repairer. It's a awful lot of work to do without the proper tools, not to mention it's hard to beat a machine stitch. He actually uses a foot powered Singer long arm sewing machine with leather needles for this kind of work. It only cost me $20 a pair to have done, certainly worth it for a nice pair of boots. I have a regular home sewing machine, but you just can't work with the boot on a home sewing machine, even if you have leather needles. You just get can't to the areas where you need to lay the stitching without a long arm sewing machine. Oh and did I mention sewing leather by hand will turn your fingers into hamburger if your not used to it.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I agree that it´s a lot of work doing this sort of diy. As I mentioned in the thread you linked to, I´ve altered several pairs of boots, mostly by opening the seam up the back, removing a wedge-shaped strip from each side of the join, and sewing back up again. But it takes me a long time, and there is a lot of trial and error involved, although i avoided the hamburger effect on my fingers by using a thimble. If you can find a local repair shop that can do the work, that would be the best option and should not cost too much. I first tried this, and after some asking around was directed to a lady who did a good job. However, I´m shy and retiring as far as heeling is concerned, and I found the experience of having to try on the boots in the middle of her shop for the fitting, combined with her disapproving look, put me off a further visit. Good luck!

Ugh, laceups, what is her problem? Jealousy. Thank you for the response, I think I'll try it cautiously and keep in mind my local repair shop. They charge an arm and a leg but are good, so I hear. I like to think I'm kind of handy with these sorts of things, but I guess I will find out for sure with this! Shafted, thanks for the pointers. These boots are synthetic, and are maybe not as thick and sturdy as the real deal. Crossing my fingers! :wavey:

Wearing a women's size 12 I have almost never found a tall boot that was narrow enough in the shaft. I have never tried having boots modified but your comments here at having a professional with the correct tools do it sounds like a good route to take. I tried doing it myself once and ended up with a fairly amatuerish looking result.

classic style high heel boots

dressboots, I am still debating... they were only $9.99 on super clearance so I will either give it a go or return them. That makes me worry... Well if I go ahead I will tell you if it went badly or if I should become a shoemaker, lol!