Ballet Flats

Jabble

Do you like ballet flats?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like ballet flats?

• Yes, and I own at least one pair.
    • Yes, and I will buy my first pair real soon.
    • Yes, but I will never buy them.
    • No.

Several years ago - I bought a pair of "traditional" black shiny Mary-Janes. They just did not feel right to me as I had hoped.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I have relatively small feet for a guy and so its actually easier for me to find 9½-10 women's than a men's 8-8½ in many cases. Also, I find women's flats are usually more refined, lightweight, form fitting, and comfortable than men's shoes are... I know they're purposely designed to be rugged for men, but I have never been that much of a 'rugged' kind of guy I suppose. So I've been buying women's athletic / casual shoes for several years now. I think I have only a couple pairs of actual 'mens' shoes now out around 60+ pairs in my shoe collection. As for Ballet Flats, I had not really thought about buying those until seeing this thread, which inspired me to recently get a plain black pair made of leather, no bows or frilly decorations, they look nice, and were pretty inexpensive. They feel a bit odd at first but after a while I almost forget I have them on and are quite comfy, but have not yet tested them on really long walks. Well anyway, I'm happy with them and may get some more in the future. :)

• 4 months later...

I find flats very tricky, perhaps even more so than heels, with regards to finding a good fit that's flattering to the foot. I find even the most subtle styling differences can be make or break as to whether I like them or not (sure that's true of heels too, but heels can win me over more easily). The Michael Kors ones look like they leave more of the foot uncovered whereas the Tory Burch ones seem to have a line that comes higher around the foot, but how did you feel about their appearance when you tried them on? Did you find them equally flattering to your foot shape and the outfits you might like to wear with them?

Personally I think the all black of the Michael Kors pair is a more classic winter option with black opaque tights, whereas the Tory Burch ones seem to lean towards being worn barefoot and with lighter, spring-season outfits (maybe it's the colour of the soles?). If you don't have a pair of classic black flats in your collection then the first pair are a more versatile option, but if you have lots and you're looking for something a bit different maybe the second pair is more appealing to you. In any case they're way above my price range.

(Browsing their heels sections I liked several of the Michael Kors styles but none of the Troy Burch ones).

If you like it, wear it.

Sleekheels, that was very well thought out and well presented.

I have never been a fan of Tory Burch footwear, with the exception of a pair of heeled boots I own that are basic black. Burch shoes seem to all have some sort of flashy element that I don't care for, and the medallion on the toe of this pair is just a turn-off to me. I don't even like the less bright medallion on the Kors pair. I wouldn't buy either for myself for those reasons. Another reason, for me, is that I have very wide feet, and shoes with the shape of either of these pairs look really bad on me.

I do agree with Sleekheels--the prices of both are out of my range. I would prefer 2 or 3 pairs of decent quality flats instead of either of these designer pairs.

Through trial and error I've learned that a size 9UK/43EU fits me the best. Which is almost the same as my menswear shoes. It is odd though that this fits me as in heels I usually order size 11Uk. Even odder enough is that the UK also has a size 9UK/42EU so I have to be weary as those won't fit me. Even odder is that I can easily fit into a size 8UK/41EU strappy sandal. Go figure! It's really made me confused as to what really fits me really well.Although with strappy sandals its now given me a lot more options then I used to have. :)

I prefer to browse for ballet flats on the British Ebay, as I don't like what's on offer in the Netherlands (anything over 42EU either non existant or absolute shit) or the German Ebay (looks boring). My favorite brand is Newlook, whose current ballet flat lineup I find quite comfortable to walk in. And they cost about 8 pounds in their online shop. Long term wear you probably get what you pay for but I don't plan to run marathons or go on extensive shopping sprees with them. They're more for casual wear around the home. The ones I really want are the New Look softer ballet flats that they used to have. I got a few off Ebay and those were the most comfortable of them all. Just not the right color. Which is black. If I find one on Ebay I MUST have them! Oddly enough unlike their current lineup those were 9UK/42EU, but those I could fit into. Probably because they were so soft, allowing for a snug yet comfortable fit.

Hi Kickass,

I like both shoes and I think given you like the fit of both pairs it must come down to what look you need from the shoe.

In my opinion the Michael Kors flat is dressier with the fine tone on tone detailing (black to patent black) on the toe and the patent like piping around the outline of the shoe. They are also a little sexier because they have a lower cut vamp, and will expose more of your foot. That's why I prefer them.

The Tory Burch flats have an elasticated outline, slightly more coverage, and due to these two factors I find them less dressy and more casual, even despite the bolder ornamentation on the toe.

both are good choices, have fun!

regards heel-Lover

i love the look of the tory burch flats with the gold medallion on them but the MK flats are a bit more comfortable. I have a feeling i'm going to end up buying both, but im still uncomfortable wearing them out.

• 4 weeks later...

I would have to change my original vote, I had said before I like them but would not buy them... I have since bought a couple of pairs of ballet flats that I wear occasionally.  They are so light weight and surprisingly comfortable, it is definitely a different sensation. 

• 11 months later...

i love the look of the tory burch flats with the gold medallion on them but the MK flats are a bit more comfortable. I have a feeling i'm going to end up buying both, but im still uncomfortable wearing them out.

Did you ever end up getting the Tory and MK flats?  I'm a huge Tory Burch flats fan.

I usually wear boots with heels & especially adore 'Goth' style platforms & hate anything flat with a vengeance.

Except my black Uggs, which I wear around the house as slippers first thing in the morning... 

(But please, please don't tell anyone...!)

I bought a couple pair of flats several months ago and have starting wearing them around the house all the time.  I find the very comfortable.  I wore them out a couple days ago and I got more looks from gals than I do when I wear my thigh boots with 5 1/4" stilettos.

post-530-0-64368800-1420310198_thumb.jpg  post-530-0-95575400-1420310208_thumb.jpg

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

For me, it's all about the heels. I can't ever imagine buying a pair of ballet flats. However, I do own a couple pairs of sandals with thin soles and thin straps. Those are mainly to be worn with shorts, when I don't feel like dealing with the attention that heels with shorts bring.

I bought a couple pair of flats several months ago and have starting wearing them around the house all the time.  I find the very comfortable.  I wore them out a couple days ago and I got more looks from gals than I do when I wear my thigh boots with 5 1/4" stilettos.

attachicon.gifGEDC0097.jpg  attachicon.gifGEDC0098.jpg

Glad you had a chance to wear your flats out.  They certainly are cute.  Ballet flats are quite feminine looking and not often seen on guys.  Most women (and men) realize pretty quick that they are not mens shoes and that often draws some attention or looks.

I remember back in the 80's how men wore shoes that looked quite a lot like ballet flats. A little less pointe shoe style looking, but generally everything that a ballet flat is as well, no laces other then decoration and the upper foot bare. I think they were called loafers. At least here in the Netherlands that is. Anyone remember those?

I don't remember loafers looking anything like ballet flats and I wore a fair number of them. Loafers that is.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a few pairs of the xhilaration 'shae' style flats from Target the past few months when they were on clearance. I've actually got quite a few pairs of flats at this point. Can't wear them right now, though. About 4" of snow in St. Louis.

A Man's Shoe Obsession: A blog of a man who loves high heels and women's shoes. http://amaninheels.tumblr.com/

• 4 weeks later...