Organising Heelmeets.

Dr. Shoe

Here are some dos and don'ts for organising heelmeets.

Firstly, you will find that many who say that they're going to come to a heelmeet don't. It isn't like throwing a party at your home, you are asking people to meet in a public place and do something that many of them would not really do in public even though they would like to.

Secondly, the logistics of getting everyone together in the same place at the same time is like herding cats and some will turn up at the wrong venue, some will turn up early and others late.

1. You decide where the meet is going to be, when and what you're going to do. Don't be lead by what others want to do. It should be a take it or leave it question. You can organise a meet and then decide once everyone's turned up where you're going to eat and in which direction you're going to go.

2. Compile a list of prospective attendees with phone numbers and bring it with you on the day. This is handy for chasing people who have got lost en-route.

3. Give all the attendees your phone number for the same reasons as above.

4. Don't worry too much about finding a venue. The WHMs held here in the UK had venues but they didn't cost us any money to provide. It can be fine meeting in a pub or even outside a certain shop in a certain street. The first WHM met in a Starbucks.

5. Don't get bogged down in detail. Don't make out an itinerary as this can put people off. Arranging excursions can be time consuming for very little reward.

6. Don't commit any money to it. If people need a hotel room, let them book it themselves. It can be fun to all stay in the same hotel and you can make suggestions but too much organisation leads to stress on your part and the idea that you are trying to control on the attendee's part.

7. If there is a large group, suggest that you split into a number of smaller groups so that those who want to do something different can. In this case arrange to meet up later.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

^ I really like the simplicity of your advice, especially the part about YOU choosing the date and venue. I also think alot of people imagine it's as easy as just putting a post up and assuming people will magically appear. It's NOT. Back in the day when I used to organize the World Heel Meets which were comprised exclusively of hhplace.org members, I would do extensive personal messaging encouraging others to attend, comforting other's through their fears of attending, and building a relationship of trust.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Absolutely agree with all the points from Dr Shoe and Kneehighs (fellow heel meet organizers). Lots of effort goes into coordinating and promoting the Meet. As Kneehighs said, personal messaging; posting meet information and updating; venue organizing. And also as Dr Shoe says, "don't put money down/deposits". Arranging venues makes this difficult as so many want deposits and contracts but experience tells us; find the venue willing to assume the risk, don't build the expectation too high to the venue and find a venue that is interesting. But the main goal is to provide an opportunity for those who truly want to attend; to meet and socialize with old friends and new friends. The number of who is attending and who ends up attending is irrelevant. The main measurement is "did those who end up attending have a rewarding good time". With the recent NYC meet the answer from the twelve people who attended would be "yes" from the feedback we received. For each and everyone of those twelve people comes the reason we continue to provide the meets; memories and stories. David

"Dress For Your Own Pleasure"

Sensible advice from the good doctor. I've organised a couple of informal get togethers via an online forum but in another context (BDSM "munches" if you must know, but that's OT for HHplace). In the UK you might choose a Wetherspoons pub. As with any venue, take a look beforehand, perferably at the same time you intend to have the meet. Then you can see if there's a good space and if it's crowded. No need to book anything or commit any money. I deliberately chose a time that was fairly quiet and had no trouble seating a dozen or so. 20 would not have been a problem. Drinks and food are inexpensive too. If you plan for (say) 12, get 30 and can't find enough space consider yourself fortunate and think about booking a room next time:smile:

As someone who has attended one heel/boot meet (and will be attending another soon), I am thankful for the efforts put forward by those that do the organizing. The experiences and friendships developed by these events are something I am sure I would have missed without their efforts. Thank you always....and well done!!

^ I really like the simplicity of your advice, especially the part about YOU choosing the date and venue.

I also think alot of people imagine it's as easy as just putting a post up and assuming people will magically appear.

It's NOT. Back in the day when I used to organize the World Heel Meets which were comprised exclusively of hhplace.org members, I would do extensive personal messaging encouraging others to attend, comforting other's through their fears of attending, and building a relationship of trust.

Yes. Good and valid points.

The kind of meets I was talking about would be the more casual meets, maybe for 4 to 6 people. The North American Heelmeet things like the WHMs take more organising and, as Kneehigh says, you need to be prepared to exchange a LOT of PMs and emails.

My advice is to start small. After all, the very first Heelmeet was two of us (and predated the founding of this site by a few years). It was followed later by a meet that had 4 attendees and gradually grew to meets of 25+....

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

One of the things I liked about the heelmeets that Johnieheel organized in Canton, Ohio, was that they were held at a quiet family restaurant where we could carry on a conversation without competing with a loud, noisy background. Most pubs, bars, and nightclubs I've ever been in have loud music blaring, and there are so many hard surfaces that they are extremely noisy just from the patrons talking, the clattering of dishes, etc. That's a tough atmosphere for conversation and getting to know fellow heelers. My ears would hurt for hours afterward. I just can't hear others talk and I can't hear myself talk when there is a noisy background; I find it a very unpleasant venue for me. So one thing I would like to recommend on your list, Dr. Shoe, is to select a quiet place where people can get to know each other. Later, if they decide to go to a club or other noisy place, that's their problem. Steve

• 5 weeks later...