Amputee with a Heel

Ampshaz

I say well done. I'm sure most people would expect you to wear a flat sensible shoe. I am sure you like to look and feel good like any other lady and we all know high heels can contribute to this feeling. Why shouldn't you wear the shoes of your choice, I'm sure you look very nice indeed when in a high heeled shoe. I personally admire anyone who fights against stereotypes given by the closed minded society we live in. Bravo to you.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

Wow. Let's see. When I meet or see someone for the first time, it's hard not to start getting an impression of them at that time. A frequent and easy smile might indicate that they are a happy person, they are enjoying themselves or that they have positive expectations for the day. If they are looking around and talking they are probably engaged in life at the moment and not simply trying to slog through it. If they are nicely dressed they probably have a good self-image, feel good about themselves. I notice if they seem to be listening to others or if they have a need to talk about themselves. Caring if they have two legs, or both arms, or a big nose is way, way down on my list (if it appears at all). If I'm out and see a woman dressed in sweat pants, flip-flops, a baggy shirt with holes, no make-up and a "zero-maintenance" hair style, it's like she's waiving a white flag saying " I give up on being human. I'm going to do as little as possible." I believe that one gets back from life in proportion to what one puts into it. In fairness, I do have to concede that upon getting to know this person they may actually turn out to be a very interesting person. In fact, many of my current friends have told me that when they first met me they thought I was 'unfriendly.' I'm old now so thankfully, a lot of the judgements I may have made at 18 have been tempered. However, at any time in my life, if I had seen a girl with one high heel and one leg, I would still think, there is someone who cares that she looks nice and is getting out and enjoying life. I would probably be one of the many rushing up to introduce myself. Caring if they have two legs is way down on my list. I apologize in advance for any typos or incomplete thoughts in this post but the world's neediest cat has been reminding me that he needs his neck scratched and to be fed. Chuck

i say " you go girl!" if you enjoy it then keep it up. what others think should not be an issue. i personally think a woman on crutches wearing one heel is attractive. maybe there are those who would disagree with me. they can disagree, but they will never change my mind. we choose how to live our lives, not them. so enjoy! it's fantastic that you don't let society's common rules dictate you're wardrobe. like i said" you go girl!":thumbsup:

Nice to see some positive replys , i like to wear a wedge heel when going out just a bit more stable.My pant leg is cut off and stitched so it out lines my mid thigh stump nicely. I quiet often get nice comments on how sexy my right leg looks. Its nice to know us one legged girls have admirers

I say well done. I'm sure most people would expect you to wear a flat sensible shoe. I am sure you like to look and feel good like any other lady and we all know high heels can contribute to this feeling.

Why shouldn't you wear the shoes of your choice, I'm sure you look very nice indeed when in a high heeled shoe. I personally admire anyone who fights against stereotypes given by the closed minded society we live in.

Bravo to you.

Very well said, thanks

E

How timely a coincidence to this thread and my post. I was in Target yesterday redeeming a gift card I received for Christmas. I say a woman, I'll say between forty and fifty years old (I'm bad at judging age) who was an amputee. She was wearing a very stylish pant suit and a very pretty, but simple patent leather loafer with I would say a 2-3" block heel. She was pushing a cart and using a cane and moving about very well. As she shopped, you could tell she confidently moved about and really just tried to blend in with all of the shoppers. One could tell by her over-all appearance that she was a person who accepted circumstances and went on with her life.

I remember 30 years ago or so, reading an article in a women's magazine about a woman who had lost a leg and how she adapted. It said her doctor told her she'd be able to do everything she used to except wear high heels.

In the next month's issue there were several letters from amputee women telling how they indeed do either wear a heel with crutches or got an artificial leg with an adjustable ankle to accommodate different heel heights.

Everyone here might want to watch this TED talk by Aimee Mullins (she's an athlete and double amputee)

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/aimee_mullins_prosthetic_aesthetics.html

I'm guessing there aren't too many video game players, but a lot of her talk about the ability to switch out her legs parallels the whole Deus Ex game series. Which are some of the most up to date "what if?'s" for the ideas/fantasy of bionic or nano human modification. Essentially its a new "arms race, no pun intended" of people enhancing themselves. Which segues into the whole "what makes us human" philosophical debate, is it what we can do with our bodies, etc...

Oh and in the pre/sequel Human Revolution, there are lots of "high-heel" bionic legs and whatnot. So I'm sure some here would like it at least mildly.

Also, wear what you want, who cares what everyone else thinks. You only live once, might as well do what you want with it.