Enlarge Toe Opening

eoneleg

I really don't care much for Peep-Toes because I like to show more toe. I have noticed lately that booties or ankle boots with peep-toes are becoming popular and although somewhat impractical, I feel a growing attraction to them, especially those in seude. Has anyone ever had a toe opening enlarged by a shoemaker? I am trying to find one in my area but so far no luck. E

• 2 months later...

Not too long ago I picked some peep toe pumps at a local thrift store and what with the almond toe design of course as I have stated that I do not have almond or pointy toes that pair was not wearable as acquired but I have been finding things to jam into the opening and most times I can wear them for a while. The idea that they go back after some time is not a big problem as I know that I can stretch the material again or possibly leave the stretcher in place for a week and see what happens.

• 6 months later...

Now this is something that may not be exactly what the subject started to be about but this is about the closest that I can find. Got a pair of Croft and Barrow three inch heel zip boots of a near white color and the toe is about an inch longer than need be. the size is rated as 11n but they are longer than that. What I have been planning is to cut off the tips and turn them into something like the 1966 or so Coureges open toe style. Plan is to chop a bit ahead of where my toes end then remove an extra .15 or so or the upper inside and turn the outer skin into the opening and glue it for as nice a lower hem as I can get. While I hate to cut into something as nice as these they are actually all man made material and not really expensive. But if it works they will be more valuable as a fashion not so common.

Thanks for posting. I might try that, sounds like it would work OK. I have a little bit of an advantage in that I need only cut one shoe and not be concerned that both shoes match in the end. Let me know if you do it and how it turns out. E

Just at this moment I am wearing my peep toe pumps and the toes no-longer kill me. At this point I am not sure about who said anything about cutting anything. What I did on mine was jam objects into the toe opening and leave them over night. Now I see that I did mention about cutting off the end of some closed toe boots to make peep toe but that is a different pair.

• 2 weeks later...

the problem with opening up the toes is you end up with more sole sticking out fronts, which has less around it to support its shape, you'll then find yourself tripping. Not safe.

Not sure what this is referring to anyway I have this pair of peep toe pumps that were not usable but low cost from a thrift store so I could afford the gamble. The shape as acquired was more of a pointy. The toe opening was enlarged and converted to more of a square toe shape. Now I can actually wear them and in this case I do not find my self tripping in the least.

In addition you will have some "unfinished" material around the new opening. When open toe shoes are made the places that show will be finished with edging material around the insole and the upper will be stitched.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

It looks like that last entry by Dr Shoe is refering to my idea to convert a pair of long toe boots to open toe. And to anyone totally familliar with factory shoe making that is all obvious but some details here that I do not understand. As for the edging material the plan is to cut the toe off long enough to fold back inside the outer matireal Maybe cut the end an extra half inch long then inside of that cut the inner material to the finished length and fold and glue. For my modifications, creations and repairs the gluing method works well but manufacturers obviously use stitching because in an assembly line the stitching requires no curing time. Another thing here that I may not have made too obvious is that this open toe is to be just open from the front. No part of the toes will show from the top. Possibly the end of the toes will be at least 100 mil (2.5mm) from the end sort of like the Coureges boots from the sixties. Then the sole will be about an extra 100 mil beyond that. Just how to finish off the in sole and bottom is not yet deturmond will have to chop and see what I get.

• 3 months later...

Making the toe hole larger,never thought of it before.. There's another trend thats coming back next year.... ," the keyhole toe " lot smaller than the peep toe ,as the word implies "keyhole"...You get my drift.... This fashion trend was around last winter just gone here in Aus...Well what the hell,I dont mind it..Got a pair very high platform heels with the key-hole toe... As for making the hole larger ,well I'd say ,it'll be a good challenge with out doing major damage to the shoe.. Be easier to buy bigger toe hole shoes,maybe... i'll leave it to you guys... I like my keyhole heelspost-1397-0-95314300-1355574315_thumb.jp... :pulsingheart: Megan...VHH :pulsingheart: