stretching high heels

Hi all, i bought a pair of shoes from new look - http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/shoes/patent-bar-platform_233412414

They're a size 8, and do fit, but the toe box is pretty tight, and squeezes my toes pretty bad after a while.

I took them to timpsons to get them to stretch them out a bit, but they told me they were too high!

Ive seen some shoe stretchers that say they're for heels, some on amazon US say good upto 4" heels, but im in UK anyway. http://www.theshoelace.co.uk/acatalog/Shoe_Stretchers.html (ladies fashion shoe stretchers)

Does anyone know if these would do the trick? Or someone who can actually stretch high heels?

Hi there, I am sitting with the same problem. I got a pair of Iron Fist heels UK 8 (tried to ( tried to post a pic but no seccess) and no matter how long I wear them they still are tight over the toes. I tried water and some of the other remedies quoted somewhere else, no no avail. Any suggestions????

The method that is sometimes suggested is to put a plastic bag with water inside the shoe and then put the whole thing in the freezer. When the water freezes the ice occupies more volume and hence will stretch the shoe. I have however no personal experience with this and I would be afraid that it could damage the shoe if the leather is not elastic enough. On the other hand, if you look a bit in old threads you should encounter some posts in which people report success with this method. In short: it is your own responsibility when you want to try this. Maybe you can experiment with a less favorite pair of shoes first. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

The method that is sometimes suggested is to put a plastic bag with water inside the shoe and then put the whole thing in the freezer. When the water freezes the ice occupies more volume and hence will stretch the shoe. I have however no personal experience with this and I would be afraid that it could damage the shoe if the leather is not elastic enough. On the other hand, if you look a bit in old threads you should encounter some posts in which people report success with this method.

In short: it is your own responsibility when you want to try this. Maybe you can experiment with a less favorite pair of shoes first.

Y.

Thank you for coming back to me.

I have seen the one about the ice in the freezer, but then I am afraid it will damage the material as it is not leather.

Thank you for coming back to me.

I have seen the one about the ice in the freezer, but then I am afraid it will damage the material as it is not leather.

Yes, if it is not leather, it may be rather dangerous. Some plastics may stretch,

but it may look ugly.

Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

I'm afraid that plastics don't stretch too well but they will a little. You can buy shoe stretch spray that you're meant to douse the shoe with and then wear, try that.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Hi all, i bought a pair of shoes from new look - http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/shoes/patent-bar-platform_233412414

I took them to timpsons to get them to stretch them out a bit

Get a different repairer! Try an independent they tend to invest more on equipment as they are not restrained by a head office evaluating what gives the most profit for the space it takes up!

Most repairers I know have a stretcher with various last shapes & size which can have bunion attachments added (similar to the one in the link) but ours are far, far stronger & precise than those nasty wooden ones!

Good luck!

Lee

post-12131-1335229570_thumb.jpg

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

You might want to try this if your toes feel to tight and the shoe is made of a man made product. Not leather in other words. A long time ago my girl friend at the time had the same problem. What she did was put a sock on and then the shoe. And then put a hair dryer on hot and heated up the area that was tight. And the shoe stretched enough to make it all better. The sock was used to add more pressure from the inside and it also prevented her foot from getting burned. I remember her saying the shoe was very hot.

Lawrence

Talking of Timpsons, I bought a pair of 2 way stretchers you show from Timpsons, see; http://www.timpson.co.uk/shop/c/20/shoe-care/s/150/shoe-accessories/g/440/shoe-stretchers/p/1831/2-way-wooden-shoe-stretcher-size-8-9-1-2

and use with stretching spray - which only really works on leathers (suede, nubuck) and canvas with some effect on man made materials.

These are typically for flat and low heels but haven't had a problem with my usual 4-5" heel lift heels; have even used on knee boots, where I have rolled down the leg shaft to the heel cup to accommodate the handles.

The benefit of the 2 way stretch is that you can vary the direction of stretch (maybe length is okay but tight across the toes or vice versa), along with the added "buttons" you can stretch specific points around the toes to best match your foot shape.

Have generally had good results from using the stretchers; maybe not curing the problem outright but providing enough change to make long term wearing possible, which in turn will continue to stretch the shoes to the perfect shape of your feet.

Of course don't forget the "heel height" is the difference between the internal level of the toes and the heel, NOT the overall heel height, so would have though ideal for your platforms.

R

Am I right in assuming that the shoe is a little small as opposed to narrow? That may explain why the guy at Timpson said what he did. Its always a lot more difficult to stretch a shoe to make it longer, and even more so in a high heel because of the angle of entry into the toe box. Having said that, do give the ol hair-dryer a go. I stretched out a pair of my wife's shoes for her with a hair-dryer and wooden spoon. Worked like magic, just don't overdo it, or use too hot a setting. I'd advise against the shoe stretch spray. They're alcohol based and shouldn't work on anything other than leather. Worst case scenario, you could spill some and damage the finish. Let us know how it works out

You might want to try this if your toes feel to tight and the shoe is made of a man made product. Not leather in other words. A long time ago my girl friend at the time had the same problem. What she did was put a sock on and then the shoe. And then put a hair dryer on hot and heated up the area that was tight. And the shoe stretched enough to make it all better. The sock was used to add more pressure from the inside and it also prevented her foot from getting burned. I remember her saying the shoe was very hot.

Yes it does work, Depending on the heat setting even a low heat setting on a hot air gun can be used but be gentle, a little at a time and not just the specific spot, spread the heat to the surrounding area to extend the stretchable source. Heat - wear and repeat. take your time and care.

Al

Thank you for this very good information. I am going to try it but do not know about the sock, as they are too tight as it is, wil have to stand the heat though.

JJ

• 4 weeks later...

I have done this a couple of times and it worked for me. Two or three socks and painfully get my foot into the shoe and apply heat from a hair dryer until my toes feel like they are burning up. I then walk around until the shoe has cooled to the ambient temperature and slip it off. It is best to then remove the socks and immediately slip back into the shoe for a while. I have done this only with leater. Hope it works for you, good luck. E