Once around the block

A few years ago, I had bought my first pair of high heels. They were black boots, with five inch heels. And though they are my personal favorite, I never quite dared to walk around in them. At least not out in the open. I've worn them quite a few times, walked in them, all inside the house. I'd dare say I've worn them more than any other shoe I own, including the ones I do wear in public. I had the idea of putting them on and going for a walk, once around the block (I believe you'd call it). I figured, since I've lived in that particular area for four and a half years by then, it was familiar enough, so why not? But then I had to move to a new location, to a new area, that I was completely unfamiliar with, making me even more nervous to go do anything. Now, it's been a year (give or take a month) since I've moved here. I suppose I am more familiar with the area this time, so I decided to try it now. I waited until 0240 hours, when most of the people are asleep, put on some dark clothes, and a hoodie so to obscure my face, at least enough so nobody would notice I'm not really a woman, put on my black high heeled boots, took one deep breath as my heart was palpitating eratically in my chest, opened my front door, checked my pockets to make sure I do have my key, walked out, closed the door behind me, and started walking. It was an interesting experience. For one thing, when I usually hear the sound of clicking heels, I would turn to look at the girl/woman wearing them. It was a strange feeling to know that the this time I was the source of the clicking. Only two times did I stop walking, but not for why you'd expect me to. I stopped once, because I was afraid that I was wearing down my heels, and a second time because I saw someone in a distance and I didn't want to draw his attention. Other than that, I came across two people, neither of which stopped to talk to me, and if they noticed something peculiar about me, they didn't show it. Eventually, I made it back to my front door. I'm still a little shaken from the experience, but not out of fear. Maybe it's the adrenaline that hasn't worn of just yet. But I can tell one thing for sure: it was an incredible feeling, one I'd wish to go through again. So whenever I feel the urge again, I'll put on a pair of my heels (other than these black boots) and go once around the block. Maybe even two blocks. Or perhaps go somewhere public. To borrow from a character in "Stargate SG-1": I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

• 5 months later...

Great going for your first time in heels in public but also a little dangerous at that time of night . Some have stated that the best time is during the day.

Yes, and in a busy place where no one will even notice your heels. Even if they do they won't attack you with so many people about.

Very brave

Or stupid... lol

This is how many of us started when we first wore high heels in public.

Indeed...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 7 months later...

When I started wearing heels, 70s platforms were back in fashion in the late 90s. I bought a pair of platform calf boots. They were in the mens section of the store, probably shouldn't have been. I wore them for a year or so, my mom saw them and said, why are you wearing high heels. I never realized I was wearing heels. I was wearing bell bottoms at the time and playing in a band. I thought I was really cool. 20 years later I dress the same, except now I wear 4" heels. I like to think of all of us here as fashion icons. Dress the way you want to dress. People will respect you for that.

Great job on your outing! Yes, probably the adrenaline has a lot to do with the rapid heart beats...I surely know that feeling! Like everyone has said, we tend to be too self concious, which always works against us when in public...The more self concious we are, the more we tend to attract attention because of our lack of confidence...Not to worry, this is normal also, and takes time to lessen those effects. I have come to learn that no one really notices what we are wearing during the day, unless we call attention to ourselves... Keep up the great work buddy, would love to see pictures of your great boots...Don