Louboutin Ballet Heels....

Jarl Ayari

Thanks for that link. Louboutin is a thieving magpie (like almost all fashion designers), but he makes some damn cool shoes.

I love the comment below the article:

Like all unwalkable and unwearable "sexy" stilts, these reduce women to behaving like altered, trained animals that men have sex with. Completely ridiculous and misogynistic. What is the male equivalent of torturous heels? Oh yeah, that's right, there isn't one.

I completely agree with the comment, I was brought up as a feminist after all! But I still love high heels, both on me and on women. Before people argue, think about it. It's true. All the uncomfortable but 'sexy' clothes are for women.

Maybe the men wearing heels issue will be of great interest to feminists as it levels the playing field a little. Oh what fun life is!

Remember the collaboration between Louboutin and filmmaker David Lynch? Louboutin's "ballet" heels are like that, but with sparkles and fairy dust and Swan Lake-y vibes.

*Facepalms himself*

I just can't understand what people see in this guy and his red soled shoes. A: I don't even like red soles. B: I don't even like his shoes, or 99.99% of all designer heels. It kinda makes me feel on the outside looking in and wondering what the fuss is all about. Like the emperor's new clothes.

On the bright side, it finally looks like there's some new competition on the ballet heels market. Should Devious be worried? :)

Hi Chorlini,

Out of interest, what shoes do you like?

More the classic fetish high heels. With no platforms. And although these should be right up my alley, being ballet heels, they do very little.

I don't see how you can NOT like Louboutins.....

Because I think they're over-priced, over-hyped and in general nothing special to look at? They just don't do nothing for me and I just can't understand why people are so obsessed with the damn things.

I'm a musician and right now the market is awash with boutique guitars, boutique amps and boutique effect pedals. These are in general two to three times more expensive then the regular Fender/Gibson/Marshall/Boss gear and many musicians crave them because they sound so much better and because it gives them a sense of owning more exclusive gear. But when you open them up you find its the same stuff, the same circuits, with just a little twist in a fancier box.

To me designer heels are like that. You take a high heel shoe, the basic design of which never really changes, you add a little twist, stick on some red soles, add some fancy marketing spin and then rake in the money. Add in a waiting list for increased exclusivity. And to be honest, it wouldn't mind it that much if this Louboutin wasn't spawning so many copy cats. Red soled shoes seem to be everywhere these days.

These ballet slippers are a sculpture and an artistic statement. Can anybody imagine to walk more than two steps in them? The same is true for the shoes he made for David Lynch in 2007, they're just for looking at. Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion, especially as the money gained by auctioning the new slippers goes to the English National Ballet.

To me designer heels are like that. You take a high heel shoe, the basic design of which never really changes, you add a little twist, stick on some red soles, add some fancy marketing spin and then rake in the money. Add in a waiting list for increased exclusivity. And to be honest, it wouldn't mind it that much if this Louboutin wasn't spawning so many copy cats. Red soled shoes seem to be everywhere these days.

The thing with designer heels is that they have been designed and conceptualized from the start. Yes they might seem overpriced to some, but to me they are works of art that you can wear. I don't see how people could berate Louboutin because some have copied his red sole. To me the red sole is almost irrelevant. If they had 'normal' soles they would still be beautiful. Don't get me wrong, there are many Louboutin shoes that I don't like, but surely one can see that he did something new and put a rocket up the shoe industries bottom. For that alone he should be celebrated.

I believe that Mr. Louboutin started designing shoes because he had a passion and desire to do it. The money and fame was and probably still is secondary to his love of designing shoes. It's just the icing on his cake.

Jimmy Choo is another case in point. The real Jimmy Choo started hand making shoes in London many, many years ago. He was rather unknown to the public and it was the fashion magazines that started to feature his shoes. He then got snapped up by socialite Tamara Mellon and she went mental and created the monster that the Jimmy Choo Corporation has become today. He was probably happiest when he had a little workshop and could do his own thing. Again the money helps but I thik he just had a desire to make lovely shoes.

Manolo Blahnik is another example. He wanted to become a theatre set designer and started to make some quite theatrical shoes after being pushed into it by others.

Yes there's hype around some fashion designers, but maybe that hype is more about the celebs that are wearing them rather than the shoes/clothes alone. The magazines, both high fashion and gossip style, need to sell magazine and create and manipulate people own to perpetuate the hype.

Surely all of us would prefer something truly thought out, designed and handmade by craftspeople than something mass produced.

So in summary I feel that it's the very nature of humanity that creates the hype around designers, rather than the designers setting out from day one with the sole aim of becoming rich and famous.

The thing with designer heels is that they have been designed and conceptualized from the start. Yes they might seem overpriced to some, but to me they are works of art that you can wear. I don't see how people could berate Louboutin because some have copied his red sole. To me the red sole is almost irrelevant. If they had 'normal' soles they would still be beautiful. Don't get me wrong, there are many Louboutin shoes that I don't like, but surely one can see that he did something new and put a rocket up the shoe industries bottom. For that alone he should be celebrated.

I believe that Mr. Louboutin started designing shoes because he had a passion and desire to do it. The money and fame was and probably still is secondary to his love of designing shoes. It's just the icing on his cake.

Jimmy Choo is another case in point. The real Jimmy Choo started hand making shoes in London many, many years ago. He was rather unknown to the public and it was the fashion magazines that started to feature his shoes. He then got snapped up by socialite Tamara Mellon and she went mental and created the monster that the Jimmy Choo Corporation has become today. He was probably happiest when he had a little workshop and could do his own thing. Again the money helps but I thik he just had a desire to make lovely shoes.

Manolo Blahnik is another example. He wanted to become a theatre set designer and started to make some quite theatrical shoes after being pushed into it by others.

Yes there's hype around some fashion designers, but maybe that hype is more about the celebs that are wearing them rather than the shoes/clothes alone. The magazines, both high fashion and gossip style, need to sell magazine and create and manipulate people own to perpetuate the hype.

Surely all of us would prefer something truly thought out, designed and handmade by craftspeople than something mass produced.

So in summary I feel that it's the very nature of humanity that creates the hype around designers, rather than the designers setting out from day one with the sole aim of becoming rich and famous.

Absolutely spot on and very well written.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Because I think they're over-priced, over-hyped and in general nothing special to look at? They just don't do nothing for me and I just can't understand why people are so obsessed with the damn things.

... And to be honest, it wouldn't mind it that much if this Louboutin wasn't spawning so many copy cats. Red soled shoes seem to be everywhere these days.

You both have good comments and I see both sides of the coin. I have always been more on the Chorlini side of the discussion, in that I just don't understand how people can spend a fortune on a single pair of shoes.

However, Benno makes a really good point. Louboutin is in the same category as an artist and has a strong passion for shoes, just like most of us do. For those that do spend big money on his shoes, it is like wearing a work of art for your feet, and good for him for making such a damn good career at it. You cannot fault him for that, I would love to be in his 'shoes' :)

just a note about *overpriced*- either justified or not, nobody is forced to buy shoes at these prices. or any other products we do not need for our daily living. So this argument is somehow very hypocritical as on the other hand any producer HAS the right to demand the price for his/her work he/she wants or thinks adequate for which reasons ever. Either one gets it is another issue again. but to claim a product worser because it costs more than we cannot (want not) afford is not ok.

just a note about *overpriced*- either justified or not, nobody is forced to buy shoes at these prices. or any other products we do not need for our daily living.

So this argument is somehow very hypocritical as on the other hand any producer HAS the right to demand the price for his/her work he/she wants or thinks adequate for which reasons ever. Either one gets it is another issue again. but to claim a product worser because it costs more than we cannot (want not) afford is not ok.

Agreed - and in many cases, the high costs of designer heels, are a direct result of the 'hype' applied to them, and the willingness of people to pay the inflated prices.

If we all started wearing Wellington Boots - then sooner or later, you would start finding pairs of $1,500.00 'designer wellies'...........

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

I recall seening a picture on the web showing a girl wearing ballets like these and actually walking in them. However I can't remember where I saw them. It would really take some talent to master waking in these extreme ballets I believe. I think Pata and Alexanderia Potter and the girl Imelda from Down Under could manage them though. Dr Who 3

about me - I definitely don´t know if I can! You can only know afterwards, right? :) well this is the right reason to try them to find it out, YEAH! Somebody here who would bid :)? More seriously: does anybody know the size of louboutin´s balletheels? these are for an auction- it would be interesting to know if several pairs were made?