How shoes are made

benno

Yes that is exactly how it's done. I might have done a few bits and pieces differently and it didn't show how the pattern is transferred from the last to paper but other than that it hid nothing.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I assume in a factory a lot more of this is done by machinery or are there really thousands of Chinese making them all by hand I wonder.

Christine.

Knowing China, labor is cheaper than the cost of the machines unless they are doing rediculously high volumes.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

It would be neat if you can buy shoes in kit form, containing pre-made pieces (i.e. heels, soles, &c.) that you have to put together with glue or pins following an instruction booklet before you can wear.

I assume in a factory a lot more of this is done by machinery or are there really thousands of Chinese making them all by hand I wonder.

Christine.

I don't really understand what you mean about doing it by hand. The film showed a typical factory set-up that is the same the world over. There have been a few experiments done with machines that make the shoes from start to finish but these are largely failures unless you're making them from plastic with a uniform finish and texture. The few machines that do exist are hugely expensive and you need as many people to operate them as you would in a more traditional factory.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Bookmarked for future use :) Definitely gonna be used when my money's stable. It had me making a shoe to show my support to the high school I graduated from ;D And I intend on turning it into reality!

Formally "HHDude"

And sometimes, one might want to make a heeled shoe to fit one's foot. Wouldn't that be nice?

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Well that's certainly a more detailed view of things, Amanda :) Well found! I have just finished watching it, but I did have a tea break in the middle. Must have one when in a work environment!

"A man cannot make a pair of shoes rightly unless he do it in a devout manner" - Thomas Carlyle

Sorry Benno, didn't mean to belittle your original post. Just got carried away with some fun. It was actually an interesting video - thank you for posting it in the first place.

"A man cannot make a pair of shoes rightly unless he do it in a devout manner" - Thomas Carlyle

I don't really understand what you mean about doing it by hand. The film showed a typical factory set-up that is the same the world over. There have been a few experiments done with machines that make the shoes from start to finish but these are largely failures unless you're making them from plastic with a uniform finish and texture. The few machines that do exist are hugely expensive and you need as many people to operate them as you would in a more traditional factory.

I take it you have some education in shoe manufacturing. What I've found is that a reasonably well-fitted leather shoe will wear itself to a very good fit, provided it's worn enough.

My interest lies in trying to find/develop shoes which fit folks' feet reasonably well to begin with. It'll be a bit tight, at first, but nothing so drastic as to cause bunions. The human foot can adjust, somewhat, without long-term harm or permanent damage. I think there's an opportunity, here.

Many manufacturers shell out designs which force feet into unnatural positions. I believe a female's foot is sexy enough she needs no modification and a proper-fitting shoe would help, not hinder, one's excursions.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.