Standing all day in heels.

Fred

What is it like to stand (or walk) for long lengths of time in heels? Perhaps as part of your job, or when out socially. Is this something you get used to with practice, or do your feet still ache? How long are you standing for, and what style/height do you wear? I’m always impressed when I see a shop worker wearing 4” or above heels.

Hiya all, I don't have any problems walking around in heels all day, I've only been doing it for 20 years. Standing still for any length of time yeah does make my feet tired, to avoid this I never stand still for any length of time, I suppose I do a lot ankle rocking backwards forwards, and from side to side. My style of shoe varies from pump to boot, most on my heels are stiletto the magority being around 5 inches, in fact the lowest I ever wear is 4 inches. Inga :smile: _________________ Platforms are for standing on, not for walking in. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IHeels on 2002-02-22 08:57 ]</font>

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

Well I am going to have to go with everybody else on this one and agree that standing on one spot is where I get trouble from my heels especially when I don't get a seat on the bus :smile: jo-jo

Don't ask me how I walk in them just try a pair

Thank you for all the feedback. It’s interesting that the problem seems to be when you are standing in one place. I like Debbie’s explanation, of why this causes a problem. Does anyone have a job, which involves a lot of standing in Heels? I take it from the replies that walking all day in heels, say when shopping is not a problem? How is your choice of footwear affected by what the likelihood of standing or walking? Have you ever got it wrong?!

My job by and large involves sitting down, reading great boring slabs of legal trash, trying to make head and tail of it, then typing up an opinion. Moving around yeah I move around every ½ hour or so, go for a short walk and chat for a couple of minutes. Walk around at lunch and when doing out of office activities for my employer. Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

I would say that the place to spot girls standing all days in very high heels is usually the perfume department of the larger stores. I always wondered how they managed. Perhaps they have an understanding SO/husband who gives them foot massage every evening at home? Anyway, that's the way I encourage my girlfriend to wear her heels to her work every day. But she on the other hand doesn't need to be standing all day.

Standing in heels is much more difficult than walking in them. I'm often in 4 inch but I don't wear much higher than that. When standing you have to bend one leg forward at the knee to take the pressure of your toes from time to time. You can also rest your foot on the heel and use it to balance only. If you wear heels a lot you soon learn how to do this. ~Caz :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I am up at five inches for work, yes, standing around hurts. I was waiting for the restaurant to make me a BLT and my feet were not happy. That was not fun. Thankfully I am building some resistance now and it should not be so bad. It is also boring, having to stand and do nothing. Maybe we fidget for more reasons than just trying to keep comfortable. We do it for some personal mental stimulation - we need to do something!

I will admit to 1, 3 and 5. Yes, 5. You know, sometimes attention can be a wonderful thing. Deep down, if I peaked someone's interests and made them think about something, then I am happy. I don't even need to have direct attention from it. So I am brave enough to admit #5.

No shoe dangling done by me, sorry. I am not sure why, Okay, I do some dangling if I am wearing mules, but then what keeps them on my feet if not gravity? Otherwise, no dangling courts. It just isn't something that comes natural, I guess. Maybe I can work up to it.

• 2 months later...

Standing in heels higher than 5 inches kills my back. But standing always does. Therefore I try to move as much a possible. But I admire the girls who are able to walk long distances in 6" heels. Though I am wearing heels since many years, my feet hurt a lot, when I wear boots with 6 inch heels (though i wear them anyway). This is my free will. Do I have do be considered maso?

Never without 5" heels, and always with a very short skirt

Viktoria, it's not exactly masochism, it's just an addiction to heels. Many of us have it, and we're not looking to be uncomfortable. But we put up with the pain because we like the heels. Well, okay, I really don't ever get more than some sore muscles which is easy to deal with, but I still have the addiction.

The Calgary Stampede will never go away. I love going, you can walk around, eat corn dogs and pizza, sit and have beer, and I actually like Chuck Wagon racing once a year. But the whole cowboy mentality that grips our metropolis bothers me. For ten days a year, everyone wears a cowboy hat, gets drunk, and gets into country music. Then for 355 other days they just stick to being drunk. My fashion sense does not fit in here.

i was at a exhibiton our company put on in the docklands last year and stood for a good part of the day in 4 inch mules....not a clever choice! one of the girls in the opposite stand in similar heels and i commiserated with each other on a number of occasions on our inappropriate choice!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Standing still, or with very little movement, is never easy on the feet. Any sort of heel will make the day less enjoyable with that. WHen I used to wear three inch heels, standing in them was not so much fun if it was for a long period of time, and it remains the same up at five and five and a half inch heels. Movement just makes things better.

I agree; standing on the same spot is very quickly tiring - I can only manage with 2 1/2 or 3 inches of heel to spread the load on my flat feet. I move as much as I can, walking is so much better, but at parties there is often not much option. What makes a huge difference is the floor. Concrete and steel are the hardest, practically no give. Hardwood gives a litttle, carpet depends on the pile and the underlay and floor below, best if a wooden floor below. Vinyl gives a little. A softwood or cork - I'd vote for cork as the best, both for feet and for the fact that it springs back. Agood compressed cork will spring back and next day, may be next hour, you won't see heel marks but your feet will really appreciate the difference. Pine floors are nearly as good but if highly polished will show up if you are wear a stiletto tip or a worn heel.

How do they do it? - Three martini lunch for the girls! - Black market Morphine! - It's an illusion, they don't really do it, they just make you think they do so you go "wow, amazing." Okay, maybe it is just training and willpower. A certain stubborn quality, which I know I possess. In time, the foot builds up tough skin, and it is not as vulnerable to this pain. Of course, there are little tricks, such as shifting weight, slipping a foot out of a shoe, and things like that. And leaning against things, this is one of my favourites.

• 4 weeks later...

From experience, I think wearing anything above 5 inchers and standing still means much of the body's weight is contained in one small area (which is why the pain). When you move, you tend to distribute your weight around (from one foot to the other etc). That's why moving tends to help. Interesting enough, I find that once I skip 5/6 inchers and wear say 7's, things are easier for me (easier to stand somehow). No idea why?????

• 7 months later...

When I'm walking I hardly even notice my stilettos - same for sitting. Standing in one place on the other hand . . . Well, that's when I'm glad I have Ambisol in my purse!

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

• 7 months later...

The ball of the foot seems to suffer the worst from standing all day.

It's a wonder how some of these women such as salesclerks, bank tellers, cocktail waitresses, as well as the trade show crowd do it.

Very very stubbornly! *LOL* I work at a bank and I enjoy wearing my heels to work, but oh my. Anything over four inches when I'm working as a teller and my feet just start to kill me. The hard part is that I tend to stand more than sit while I"m working. It is easier on my back to do so. Most of the other tellers I work with sit all day. I just cannot quite manage that unless my feet are killing me, then I sit just fine! Fortunately I do split my time between working at a desk and doing teller work, so that helps quite a bit.

JinxieKat