Would you wear stilettos for a job interview?

Firefox

My experiences is that employers tend to be very conservative. Though I am really almost always wearing heels , going to a job interview, I would advise the 3 inch heels - just to be sure. _________________ Never without 5" heels <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: viktoriaheels on 2002-05-26 20:53 ]</font>

Never without 5" heels, and always with a very short skirt

If I don't write a cover letter for my resume so I can sell myself, I'll never get the position. I need to be more focused on this, but I have been so tired lately. Maybe my doctor day tomorrow will provide me with time and rest enough to get me back on track. I am somewhat visible where I work, ground floor office, by the main entrance, which is the only entrance people can use, so I may be known to enough people.

I just interviewed for a job. I wore a very professional blue/gray jacket and matching short skirt. I also wore my 4 inch black heels. As I walked into the office of the owner, he looked me from head to foot with a lengthy look at my heels and within 5 minutes asked me when I could start the job...I was a "shoe" in for the job!

• 1 month later...
May'be the HH might be offset a little in that I always wear classic ladies business suits to work, I have about 20 suits.

In my humble opinion, there is nothing sexier than the above images

hemline 1 to 4 inches above the knee, nicely fitted, a slit somewhere...I'm in heaven.

Unfortunately, I work in an excrutiatingly boring and conservative (government) office environment where maybe a handful of women dress even close to this (out of 300-400 employees). I don't think I've ever seen a stiletto heel around, much less anything over 2". In fact, there is no dress code, so some people wear what amounts to baggy sweatpants and sweatshirts.

<sigh> I think I need to find a new job...

• 4 months later...

I wore a white blouse with navy blue knee length skirt and black patent slingback stillettos for an interview yesterday as a temporary office clerk. The interviewer was a woman in her 40s and I could sense that she didn't really like me from the beginning I stepped into her office. Was she frowning at my footwear and that I could manage heels of that height with ease (4" stilletto heels) ? :lol: Guess there is no hope of getting that job. Going for another job interview today....

Cheers,

Nata

• 3 weeks later...

I always wear heels, so that incudes job interviews. But I am careful that they don't convey the wrong impression (e.g. too slutty) and I never wear red heels to interviews. But wearing a sensible "office" skirt and a pair of 3 1/2 inch black court shoes even with stilletoe heels can look smart.

• 5 weeks later...

I think it depends on the position you apply for & who the employer is. I'd wear stiletto heels though, I'd go with what a previous person mentioned, and stick to basic black. It can look very professional if paired with the right outfit. I don't think 6 inch stiletto red leather ankle boots, would be the right thing for me to wear to a job interview. :lol: Darn it, it'd be fun though. :(

So many shoes, so little time...

I'd definitely wear stiletto heels to an interview, but I wouldn't wear anything about 4" as I'd feel it wasn't appropriate. For some reason I still feel as though there's a stigma attached to a woman that wears say 5" or even 6" heels out and about - either to work or just shopping. I myself have disapproving looks off female colleagues when I've worn my 5½" courts to work, so I think that wearing them to an interview would be out of the question :lol:

So many shoes & boots to buy in so little time!!

• 4 months later...

Ah, this subject, not much posted in these days. I am going to let everyone know how it goes with wearing heels at job interviews. Provided people bother to call me and have me come in for interviews... The one thing about life is that you never know how it is going to go. One moment, you're the star of your company. The next, you would like to transfer, and while all of your fellow "grunts" are wailing about missing you and talking about parties, the "company" doesn't care to do anything to transfer you to a new office. Tough economic times? Fire a few VPs! But with job interviews on the horizon, I hope, new opportunities in life will appear, and that means a chance to strut my stuff in some stiletto heels to a whole new group of people. We'll see how it goes.

I'd definitely wear stiletto heels to an interview, but I wouldn't wear anything about 4" as I'd feel it wasn't appropriate.

For some reason I still feel as though there's a stigma attached to a woman that wears say 5" or even 6" heels out and about - either to work or just shopping.

I myself have disapproving looks off female colleagues when I've worn my 5½" courts to work, so I think that wearing them to an interview would be out of the question :wink:

Becky - I SO SO disagrtee with you! When I see a woman wearing 5 inchers or above, I have sympathy and nothing but positive thoughts. We all afterall know how much effort goes into wearing such shoes. I don't like tarty but if stylish, high heel stiletoes always impress me!

Being a 'High Heeled Goddess' is always a bonus in a work environment though isn't it? :wink:

Not really. Sad to say, not everyone relates, and those who would, might be too occupied in staring at my feet. At which point Chris will go and have a talk with each and every one of them.

Just what I need, a boss who hires me based on my shoes, and not my ability. I'd end up taking dictation all day. Bleh.

Don't you love it when people look at your feet? I DO!! I feel so satisfied. I get a buzz when I know people are looking at my feet/shoes. I know they are quite often either envious or find it sexy. The higher and thinner the heels, the more I find people notice.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the topic asks the question, and my answer is going to be "I just did that today!" I plan to do it again tomorrow. Today, my interviewer was all business, I doubt he took much notice of my shoes. Which is fine, it means I will not be judged on them! :wink:

I interviewed a few people on Tuesday for a jon we are trying to fill. One of the young girls who came along (pretty little thing) wore the most beautiful white stilettos I have seen for a while (good quality leather, wonderful shape etc) - She was tiny, the heels were high. Funnily enough, I felt for her so much and knew what she was going through wearing such painful shoes that I decided to put her on the shortlist. He he. See.... heels work!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, so far, heels have not done anything for my chances anywhere as far as jobs are concerned. But, there is another interview this week. Maybe the heels are hurting my chances? Maybe I should do something different? Maybe I should solicit for money so I wouldn't have to worry about the issue? :wink:

I'm overly qualified for everything I am applying for, however, I'm not getting anywhere with it yet. Two more interviews coming up, one tomorrow, one next Tuesday. I can work for the phone company, the pay is good even for part time, but the hours are awful. Thankfully that's not until next week, so I have time to see what else I can get before I end up desperate. Yes, I will wear some sort of heels. Probably five inch stilettos, likely the black velvets both times, they're nice with bare feet for a few hors, and there's no slipping on polished surfaces.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a newspaper article last week about this exact subject (I was reading it over someone's shoulder so I have no copy I can post unfortunately). The article basically proved that women wearing sexy clothing (including stiletto heels) up their chances of getting work. The article mentions that the longer and the slimmer the legs look, the more attention the girl gets (which is why heels help). Interesting huh?

I've already figured all of this out, and figured out why, in another way that is more related to me alone. Yesterday, I was well received, and I wore my three inch heeled mules. I was going grocery shopping afterwards, so I thought "hey, these are my out and about all day kind of shoes, I'll wear them" and matched it with capri pants, a short sleeved jacket, and under that was a powder blue tank top. And I realized something. Other interviews in stiletto heels... I was too tall. Maybe it was only an inch, inch and a half difference of overall height between three inch and five inch when wearing, but still. I remember some interviews where I felt like I towered over everyone. A lot of people who hire people are short, from my experience. I can wear the four and five inch heels once I get the jobs. Until then, interviewing in my cute little open toed mules may be the way to go. I guess that stiletto heels should not be worn to a job interview. It betrays the fact that I am good at what I do. Once hired somewhere, I'll do what I like. And maybe buy a lot more four inch stiletto heels. They'd be easier to find locally, and not as expensive, since I know many women can't wear them, and they'll go on sale soon. Just snag a job, and I can hit all of the clearance sales at the end of August as they stock up for fall... But sadly, very high heels at an interview, not such a good idea.

I can answer why clothing matters. There are certain companies that wish to project an image. I was told about one of them in my interview on Friday at the latest agency I visited. The company needs office staff for a lab complex, and the company that runs the lab is, well, very conservative. They were not happy with the last receptionist they had for short term because she revealed too much. They had a problem with her clothing. Shoes, one can get away with, maybe. BHut some people think that clothing is an expression of self, and the "self" is judged above ability. I wore open toed mules with a thin, sculpted three inch heel. Silver toe nail polish, flashy, but not anything bright red and attention getting. It went with the rest of my outfit, and it is summer. Still, a company is looking for a certain image out there, and if I were to be picked for that placement, part of it would be based on my clothing and outward image. It's an old fashioned attitude, but it still exists. Once I have a job, what goes on my feet will be my choice, but maybe if I have to play by rules until then, I can try it.