Perished PVC 7" heels

sarob

My wife's ballet boots are so old that the PVC on the heels has perished. :) Other than that they're in great condition. The main body of the boots still look like new. Having altered the heels to make walking easier, I am reluctant to buy new if I can either re-cover or perhaps strip and paint the heels. I have already had to remove the material from the spike of the heels to reveal the metal rod and the beginning of what looks like a resin section. We quite like the polished metal, so it is just the upper, splayed part of the heel that we need to paint or re-cover. Does anyone have any experience with refurbishing their heels?

If you know an industrial instalation/maintenance electrician or fitter, ask if they have any offcuts of shrink wrap, used to seal cables to junction boxes. It comes in various sizes from 5mm to about 50mm dia. and as the name suggests, you apply heat and it shrinks. Makes nifty finger cuffs too!

totter along into history

If you know an industrial instalation/maintenance electrician or fitter, ask if they have any offcuts of shrink wrap, used to seal cables to junction boxes. It comes in various sizes from 5mm to about 50mm dia. and as the name suggests, you apply heat and it shrinks.

Makes nifty finger cuffs too!

Shrink tube can also be found at Auto part stores and places like Radio Shack. Some come in different colors too. Black has a tendency to be a bit grayish at times, but that can be colored over. Red might be an interesting visual touch