Marked Patent heels

Hi All I've bought a pair of black patent heels (from New Look with white edge & bow at back @5"), which have a white streak mark down the side which needs removing. I've tried spit & polish, gentle scratching but don't want to try anything more abrasive as it may scratch the patent, also thought of nail varnish remover or white spirits but thought that would remove the patent. Any suggestions? Silvikrin

Hi All

I've bought a pair of black patent heels (from New Look with white edge & bow at back @5"), which have a white streak mark down the side which needs removing. I've tried spit & polish, gentle scratching but don't want to try anything more abrasive as it may scratch the patent, also thought of nail varnish remover or white spirits but thought that would remove the patent. Any suggestions?

Silvikrin

Lighter fuel on a kleenex. Rub heavily for at least a few minutes.

Avoid white spirit & Fuel, if they are from new look, they will not be patent leather which will take these treatments but patent plastic & the surface may melt using these.

Use methylated spirits on a duster or tissue (always worth testing on an inconspicuous area first to make sure it doesn't react), meths is less likely to melt the surface. if that doesn't work buy a crepe block from your local repairer & rub carefully to avoid taking the suface off!

Good luck.

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

Hi All

I've bought a pair of black patent heels (from New Look with white edge & bow at back @5"), which have a white streak mark down the side which needs removing. I've tried spit & polish, gentle scratching but don't want to try anything more abrasive as it may scratch the patent, also thought of nail varnish remover or white spirits but thought that would remove the patent. Any suggestions?

Silvikrin

They will most certainly NOT be Patent leather in New Look! It will be PU Leather (plastic basically), so any harsh solvent will take the shine and the colour out too. You could try a mild nail varnish remover - for one it is less agressive than white spirit - and secondly it won't stink for months afterwards like white spirit will. Alternatively you can try using black gloss nail varnish to cover it.

Personally......I would simply take them back and exchange them for an undamaged pair.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Silvikrin Do you know what cole oil is? Used in lamps. It is non abrasive and should not dull or tarnish the material. When used with baby diaper, you can wash off whatever residue may remain. Over all. I would go with Pussyinboots and return them for a new pair. Mike

Silvikrin

Do you know what cole oil is? Used in lamps.

It is non abrasive and should not dull or tarnish the material. When used with baby diaper, you can wash off whatever residue may remain.

Over all. I would go with Pussyinboots and return them for a new pair.

Mike

Well I might as put my 2% worth in. You can also try cigarette liter fluid. I have used it on a lot of things, it does take old paint off. With a cotton ball should take it a way. Anyway good luck, and let me no if it works ok. All the best.

I think the suggestions from Pussyinboots make the most sense to me. Shoes with plastic covering (PU Leather) will not hold up well to any sort of strong cleaning products, you will shorten the life of them if you do manage to get the white mark off. First option I would look at is returning them for an undamaged pair, and if that is not an option for whatever reason, I would try to cover it up with black nail varnish which should blend in nicely.

You could try a mild nail varnish remover - for one it is less agressive than white spirit -

I think the suggestions from Pussyinboots make the most sense to me.

Sorry to question but the advice is WRONG, the majority of nail varnish removers contain Acetone. reverting back to the original statement of the Shoes Being New Look Patent, we have established these will be a synthetic & Acetone, White Spirits & Petroleum "could" damage the surface

I rubbed this piece of synthetic shoe upper with nail polish remover & metholated spirits, can you guess which side was rubbed with nail polish remover!

post-12131-133522932971_thumb.jpg

I can't comment on cole oil as I don't know what it is!

I do know from experience of new look shoes

Use methylated spirits on a duster or tissue (always worth testing on an inconspicuous area first to make sure it doesn't react), meths is less likely to melt the surface. if that doesn't work buy a crepe block from your local repairer & rub carefully to avoid taking the suface off!

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

• 11 months later...