Heels to a job interview

xaphod

OK, guys, I've really screwed up now. Out of the blue, I was phoned today by someone from a company I knew 10 years back. The upshot is that I've been invited to submit my CV (resume) for consideration. Now, way back then, I used to do my heely thing at various transvestite clubs in London, and my professional persona used to resemble that of Dilbert. To return to Dilbert mode is not an option, especially as I don't need the work, but I'd like to do this temporary contract for the fun value (plus the money which is always welcome). The question is, how do I dress if I'm invited for interview, the only criterion being that I WILL wear 4" block heeled boots? .... and if anyone says, 'wear a suit and tie', I'd rather put my head in a gas oven (it's a pity that we don't have real coal-gas anymore, with lashings of lovely carbon monoxide). <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-02-21 01:14 ]</font>

I asume the 4" heel block boots are black. If you want to make a statement, go for black lether jeans, black shirt and the long black leather jacket. The other alternative of suggestion is, wear the 4" block heels with what your mind tells you early in the morning, it could be interesting.

Ok I got a really scary site for ya...

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/dressmen/dressmenFULL.html

Yep. Everything you wanted to know how to dress yourself to conform to everybody else. Yep that's right, if you follow the advice of the author of the article in the site above, you will be normal. Yes normal.

God, my girlfriend is sorta old-school and even she thought the opinions in the site above were way out in right field.

Xaphod... I posted this link too use reverse psychology on you... dress any damn way you want to. If you want the job however I'm sure you may want to tone it down a bit.

My recommendation is to go with black slacks, black mock turtle neck, black-and -white tweed or mini-herringbone sport coat and black boots. Classic yet right-on today! And the boots will look great. All black can look like you are trying too hard...but the jacket, actually any color combined with black (brown-and-black, blue-and-black) will give a lift. And good luck!

If I was a woman I wouldn't wear 4" heels for an interview, or not if I wanted the best chance of the job. What you should wear depends on your knowledge of the interviewer and the position. Personally I would wear a suit and a tie, but that would be the last time that year! Once I'd landed the psoition, I'd swap the tie for the boots and take it from there. Of course if you're not too bothered if you get the job or not, then 4" block heels, dark polo neck, leather jacket and black trousers would look great.

Is that gas I smell? B) Xaphod, I don't blame you for not wanting to conform to the suit and tie bit, I hate them myself. I always feel like the tie wants to strangle me, so I avoid them at every opportunity. I go to interviews in the smart, but casual mode. Dark trousers and denim shirt and 3" heels. Of course, if the environment of the interview demands safety shoes then I polish my decent workboots (flats, yuk!) and go with them. But the main thing is, be yourself. There's nothing worse than putting yourself down just to reach someone else's expectations. After all, isn't that what we are striving for in the heely world? :smile:

Whoops, sorry. I didn't realise that SQ had posted a very similar thread, virtually at the same time as me. After the initial rush of replies, could the moderators for this bit amalgamate the two threads? Ta, ...... x

Similar, but not the same. You went to an interview...I wore mine to my current workplace...just a bit different. I'm working my courage up slowly...but so far I have not gotten any flak for wearing my heels! Score one for the home team!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I landed my current job by wearing a black mock turtleneck, black jeans, a navy-blue blazer, and boots with a 3" chunky heel. Like yourself, I didn't really care if I got the job as I was happy with the job I had in hand. I also think that's precisely HOW I got this job. I was just so relaxed and nonchalant about the whole affair. When Firefox was teasing Highluc about burning elevator shoes on the other board, it occured to me that a suit and tie burning party would have a much wider appeal. :smile: Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

I changed your title to one about interviews rather than just the workplace, Xaphod. I hope that was OK, and it means we can have two separate threads on the subjects. I agree about burning the ties! What a useless piece of adornment. I suppose some might say that about heels though. Anyway, Nobody is forcing anyone to wear heels, but sometimes convention tries to force the wearing of ties. That's the difference. As for suits, well, I think they can look smart on men and women, or at least a jacket top. However, although I usually wear a jacket or suit at work, I'd be the last person to force any convention on people. I'm happy if our staff turn up in jeans and trainers so long as they get the work done. Interviews are a touch different. It's a highly artificial situation where the slightest whim can have an effect so it pays to dress in "Dilbert mode" to use Xaphod's terminology :smile: _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-02-22 00:45 ]</font>

Although I don't have had much job-interviews in my life (am still with my first employer), I think what you can wear to your interview depends a lot on company culture. At least here in Holland. My last job-interview I was dressed top-to-bottom in blue-jeans, no problem. I work as an electronics and software engineer. In our company no one wears a suite, except for the managing directors, and they even don't if there are no clients to be visited or visiting. :smile: Would I have worn the same on an interview at an IT-company I probably wouldn't have gotten the job. Here, IT-companies have a very strong suite and tie culture.

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

Hiya guys, me just having a sticky :smile:. I'm suprised Firefox, no 4 inch heels for a woman at an interview, as I said in the gal's forum (same thread) I've been to about 30 interview's everyone in 4 inch and above heels, and was succesful in getting the position 25% of the time. Also, love that gas, anyone remember the Gas Cooker sketch (MPFC) think they used coal gas then, in Aust we were just coming off it. What was it "that til be murder you'll have area supervisor around in 10 mins" or something to that effect. Oh and ties, suppose they're a bit conservative but it's part of men's suiting, agree they are a bit off, glad I don't have to wear one. Inga B)

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

I don't even own a tie... Hell, I wouldn't even know how to tie a tie.. :smile:

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

I only wear a tie if I am visiting potential customers, otherwise it is an open necked shirt or a t shirt and polo neck jumper. Normally teamed with black jeans as well.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

I like ties =) then again its prolly cause i hardly ever get to wear them..i think thats what turned me onto heels actually...somewhere along the line someone told me "you should not wear shoes with heels, they arent for you", So naturally i wanted to...same with ties...only time i ever get to wear em without being called wierd is when my football team is playing a game and the whole team has to wear them...nothing bad with suit / tie...think it looks good

Inga - don't take my word for it. Read any style guide for interviews and it will tell women not to wear heels, or maybe only 1 or 2 inches thicker heels which is not a "heel" in my estimation. The women on this board are very much exceptions to the general rules. How many women go around in 4" stilettos? 2 or 3 in one hundred in the UK B) All I am saying is interviews demand completely "average" dressing for the best chance. Yes someone may land a job wearing whatever, but that's like saying I've smoked 40 a day and I haven't got lung cancer yet.

On the other subject, I don't mind ties the odd time, but I hate being forced to wear anything in particular. If someone says, dinner: "smart dress" I might wear a tie ( and heels too most likely!) If someone says dinner: ties for gents. I guarantee I will turn up NOT wearing a tie.

OK, call me a peverse rebel, and sorry that was a bit off topic :smile:

Inga - don't take my word for it. Read any style guide for interviews and it will tell women not to wear heels, or maybe only 1 or 2 inches thicker heels which is not a "heel" in my estimation. The women on this board are very much exceptions to the general rules. How many women go around in 4" stilettos? 2 or 3 in one hundred in the UK B) All I am saying is interviews demand completely "average" dressing for the best chance. Yes someone may land a job wearing whatever, but that's like saying I've smoked 40 a day and I haven't got lung cancer yet.

On the other subject, I don't mind ties the odd time, but I hate being forced to wear anything in particular. If someone says, dinner: "smart dress" I might wear a tie ( and heels too most likely!) If someone says dinner: ties for gents. I guarantee I will turn up NOT wearing a tie.

OK, call me a peverse rebel, and sorry that was a bit off topic :smile:

Hiya, Firefox, Jeff etc. Don't totally disagree with you, I'm not :eek:: either. Probably my saving grace is that I do wear classic suits to interviews etc and don't totter around in heels (after 20 years I'm a bit of an expert) probably explains why I can get away with it, most I admit can't. Oh and generally the heels I wear in such situations are black, pretty conservative. Jeff good on for not wearing a tie, I suppose most of the guy's in my field (Law) do, and I have noticed the IT guy's dress in a more relaxed manner, good on them B) Agree Firefox nobody tell's me what to wear either. xx Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

Well, I'm an IT consultant, so I generally have to wear a suit and tie. However, I do have some sites where I don't need to. One place I was at said 'Wear whatever the hell you want', but even though I had my fave wedges with me, I bottled out B) .

But then, I need this job!

Good luck with the interviews, you lucky sods :smile: .

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"