Heels in the workplace

ShockQueen

Well...I finally done it! I took the plunge inspired by JeffB and started to wear heels at work. I picked up some nice knee-high pull up boots with square toes and a block 3" heel,which look great under black slacks since these are flat black boots. My friend who saw me change into them when I went out on break said they looked really spiffy and don't stick out a lot, so maybe they count as 'stealth heels'? It's a start! With those and my other "goth-stompers" that I've posted about before, I think I'm off to a flying start! HOORAY!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Well done SQ. It's only the last 5-6 years or so I have been wearing 4" heels to work when I feel like it. Before that I used to wear 2-3" cowboy styles or similar types, but I came to the conclusion people actually liked seeing me in different styles. They're a bit of a talking point sometimes, but I always make sure I wear a jacket or similar smart workwear. I don't think people mind if you "conform" in most respects.

The amazing thing with clothing is, that done well you can wear very non-conformist garment and footwear without anybody being any the wiser, i've done this myself and been complemented on how smart I looked, even though I was wearing high leg boots with 2.5 inch heels and womens trousers :smile:

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

SQ's post made me get up and photograph the boots I wore today at work

Posted Image

The boots on the right are what I wore this morning. I had a meeting with a contractor to discuss a design and build tender. They are 3 1/2" Kaliko boots made in Brazil bought at Dolcis for £25 reduced from £65. Quite suitable for a more rugged look.

After a visit to the office it was time for another meeting in the late afternoon with my favourite lady client from the council who always wears heeled boots. I changed in the car to my 4" leather Bronx boots rebadged by Dune bought for £27 reduced from £55. Only 1/2" difference, but a much higher look due to the thinner heel and the careful styling of the sole at the vamp.

The first boots I would wear anywhere, the second in the office or with selected clients. So you can see I don't wear outrageous styles but I do wear things which I reckon suit me. Anyone could wear the 3 1/2" Kaliko boots and they would go with a range of different rugged or smarter fashions.

Here's a picture of the most adventurous type of boots I've worn at work regularly. They are Maire Claire with 4 1/2" heels. Very comfortable boots.

Posted Image

To wear boots like this you need to have quite a bit more confidence, but as I said I passed that stage with this particular type of footwear some time ago.

Good luck to anyone who wants to broaden their horizons in this respect :smile:

Believe in your right to wear what you want

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-02-21 01:13 ]</font>

Most of the styles I wear are just about identical to the boots you pictured on the right w/regards to heel style/height. The only difference is that most of mine have a slight (3/4" or less) platform sole. Actually, I wouldn't mind picking up a pair or two non platform soled boots like yours. I also have a pair of boots like the ones you show on the left and I draw about the same line when it comes to wearing/not wearing them. The heels on the last pair you showed are too thin for my taste, but that's the best part as it would get pretty boring if we were all exactly the same. Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

I don't think I could. Like I've said elsewhere, I work for an ultra-conservative company, and any deviation from 'ultra-normal' would result in an equisitely hand-tooled P45 from head office. A man can dream, eh?

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

hehehe =) besides being a student, in the summer and whenever i feel like it during the school year, i work as a technical assistant for a travel company..i would wear heels to work...but its in the summer, and that means shorts...and i only have/like knee high boots...so thats outta the question....plus im the youngest person there...so everyone thinks im so "cute"...and i think id be the "cute wierdo" if i did...so not at this job

It's been over a month now since I stopped wearing flats to work, and now exclusively wear either my 3.5" platform 'goth-stompers' or my 3" block-heel boots. It's causing a lot of positive feedback from my co-workers, and my managers never say a word about them, so THANK YOU JEFFB AND FRANCIS! You two are my inspiration!

Cograts again SQ :smile: I bet you wish you'd taken the plunge before now don't you? To anyone else who is thinking of this, it's quite simple. The water is always coldest when you first get in. Work is about performing at your job and behaving reasonably in your working environment. That's the deal in the UK. In parts of Corporate USA, I'm told they can be more fussy, but if you are smart in your dress, and pleasant in your manner, and good at your job, they are going to have a hard time arguing about the odd 3" extra of plastic on your foot B) _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-02-27 18:20 ]</font>

Thanks, Firefox. Yeah...I'm kicking myself with my platforms these days for not taking the approach that has been done by others before. My friends at work do notice, but say how much they like my boots, and want to know where I get them from - so that's a definitely plus on two fronts...it's a big rush for me, and I send people to my friend Raven to get more heels!

Also, AT&T is one of the more open-minded companies people can work for as far as a call center environment goes. The other part I like about AT&T is that I can recommend most of my friends to work there who have domestic partners since they give benefits to same-sex partners. Check this site out:

http://league.web.att.com/

I thought this was a good move for them as well. There are 2 points to their favor right now :smile:

SQ

i think that is stupid, giving special benefits to gay people...no offence, but that is just wrong and stupid...they are gay, so what...doesnt make them any better than me...i also have big problems with companies that have equal opurtunity hiring, where if a man and a woman apply for the same job, both have same experience, that by their policy the women will get hired...that is reversed sexism and really friggin pisses me off....but thats just my opinion

• 4 weeks later...

The experiment continues..... Today I decided to go for it and wear my chunky-heeled platform boots to work. Mind you, these are 5" heels w/1.5" risers in the front - rounded toes. The ones who did notice thought they looked really cool or said "I'd fall off of those" (those were the ladies talking about falling). The rest have either not noticed, or have become so used to my antics that they just don't notice - either way it's a win/win situation for me! WHEEEE! SQ

It's really good to read about others who've taken the big step by wearing heels to work. I'm also proud that some folks here, like shockqueen have considered me to be a role model of sorts. Wearing heels of any kind into the office can be quite daunting at first, but if you go at slow, matching your footwear with tasteful clothing, it can be done. I consider myself more bold than most since I've been wearing almost exclusively pumps in the office of late. Everyone knows I wear women's shoes, but no one's raised a stink since I've been tasteful about what I wear. The first step is always the hardest, but once you've taken it, there's no turning back!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Well, I'm sitting at my desk right now in a pair like your more spikey ones, only spikeyer. My old Zodiacs with the 3 1/2" heel. I don't wear them out in the shop, to much oil and chips on the floor. The darn chips can imbed in the sole. I almost ruined a pair of cowboy boots that way. Just let people get used to you in heels and never make a thing out of it. If they get on you just look at them and walk away. It's not that bad but it does take some gumption.

Yeah...I can imagine some day walking in in my flats and they'll say "Did you shrink or something?". I've taken the big steps now, so now there is no going back! SQ

Oh, I forgot to mention this in my earlier post: I wear pantyhose (Hanes Resilience) under my slacks at work every day. Not only does it make my shoes fit better than say, plain old socks, it makes me feel great as a whole. So, socks, along with men's shoes at work are out! :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I finally took the plunge today and wore my new ankle boots to work. Although only an inch higher than the loafers I normally wear, it certainly shows. However, no problems at all.

I also wore them bowling yesterday. I imagined that someone may have done a double take, two men on a pair of lanes, but those sat beneath the seat, but no, not even the guy I was bowling against noticed.: Posted Image

I just had a nice compliment from one of my female co-workers today. She was saying that I was putting the ladies to shame by wearing such cool boots! :smile: That just made my day a bit brighter...

I did indeed quite often.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Highluc on http://walk.to/highluc

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Highluc on 2002-04-10 02:35 ]</font>

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

That is an interesting point! Of course, I've never gone and asked how old people really are, but it depends on if you know them too or not. Not that it matters to me though since I've finally overcome the final obstacle in my daily heeling life.

Yes, I've noticed that as well. But that's always the case. One of my co-workers is 26 and she likes my shoes, especially the pumps. She even suggested I break free from wearing only black and try other colors! The majority of the people in the office (nearly 200 spread out on four floors) are in their 30's and 40's, so that's made things easier for me.