Broken Zip

iggy_ze

Hi all, I have a pair of ankle boots which are not very worn, unfortunately the zip is now broken. The man in Timpsons recons it woould cost about £4 an inch to repair and for the cost of the boots its probably not worth it. Anyone have any ideas about "fix it yourself". Is it that difficult? What sort of zip would I need to use? Many thanks, Ian G

The ONLY way of repairing a torn zip properly, is to stitch it. Sorry - the man from 'Timpsons'...what he say is a 'yes'!

So - if you want to repair it yourself...start looking for a long zipper with tiny teeth.....then you'll need to buy a sewing machine. Total cost - around £600.00.

Conclusion - go to 'Timpson's'!

(PS...I live in Dorset...on the Hampshire border).

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

I'd like to be able to buy a stitcher for £600! just replaced mine & it cost considerably more than that! "Probably not worth it" I hate that sentence! I've repaired shoes that have cost twice what it would cost to replace them! They are worth repairing if you like them & if they are confortable! Depending on the damage, if the runner has failed it should be possible to replace just this, reducing repair cost considerably! if its a nylon zip, where the stitched holding the teeth spiral have failed then this can be re-stitched also. Can you post a picture of the failer?

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

Not having a cobbler that would do the work, I replaced a 7" ankle zipper in a pair of leather thigh boots by hand. After removing the old zipper I replaced it with a heavy duty zipper of the right color I bought at a dry goods store. I used a heavy needle and upholstery thread. To me, $4/inch sounds like a bargain.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Ian I don't charge by the inch, but per job. Usually running at about £40 for a standard length zip. £10 for a slider. £5 for coil teeth stitching. £4 for top & bottom stops. I appreciate that on some boots it may not be cost effective, but there are a lot of people, who spend a lot of money on footwear & for these items professionally replaced zips (where stitching will be correct colours & in original holes!) is a very good solution to keeping favorite items in service & not looking like they've been repaired!

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.