to color a leather boot

LP_____

hi all, does anyone have experiences or tips with regard to coloring a leather boot? i found a white leather boot (brand: icone) on the internet. the black one is not available anymore. so i thought to color it. it should be black. but i am wondering if there exists any risk to damage the leather. in the next days i am going to ask a shoemaker or a tanner, but i would like to hear your opinions as well. thanks alot.

Yes, you can buy the dye kits as hh4evr1 said but be ready woith the black shoe polish too as you will getb a slight bloom to the leather. I have actaully used magic markers to colour leather too but make sure it's the permanent ones and just like the dye polish afterwards. Test on a small area and do not use on an area which is going to contact clothes or skin.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

hi. thanks your your replies. i think i won't do it by myself. the boots are quite expensive originally. the price has dropped now and i'm thinking of buying a pair. they are of white matt leather and i would like them in black. i'm just afraid that the leather might be damaged, i.e. losing softness, you know.

There is a new product available in Europe made by the original chemist who worked for Tarrago, Senor Joaquim Tarrago whose great grandfather started to make dyes shortly after the second world war. Tarrago was taken over by Sapphyr last year. The original Tarrago family have now started a new brand TRG as off January this year & I have seen their products including dyes & polishes recently (now stocking them) & they are exceptional! new formulas that really work with modern shoes. I'd thoroughly recommend them, I've actually stopped stocking other brands in favor of TRG because its so good. Lee

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

Hi.

So, you do recommend this

http://www.tarrago.com/anglfl/frproda.htm "SELF SHINE COLOR DYE + PREPARER" ?

My Recommendation is for TRG products, Tarrago is now a subsidiary of Sapphir & I haven't had much experience of their products.

TRG is the product i am using & have experience with & can recommend it 100% you will have few problems with it, it is amazing!

Lee

you'd certainly be able to dye the zip with trg, or any other dye for that matter but you may find as the metal runner runs against the metal teeth of the zip it will break off. The material the teeth are on will dye OK, so a bit of care & the teeth could be left.