Modifying shoes

inryi

Hi everyone, I decided pretty recently (ok like Sunday) that I want to be permanently heeled. I had just bought some new flats and it would be like totally lame to just throw them away... is there anyway I could add a heel to them so I could at least get SOME use out of them? I know my way around a shop and can follow instructions really well. Please offer me some help Luv, Rina

Well poopies... maybe I should have waited until this new shoes were dying before starting this, but I'm not going back over one pair of shoes. Know good places to get replacements?

For what? If you are sincerely thinking about getting rid of your flats, why not post them for sale here on hhplace? Or, at least give it a "go" on eBay?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

By replacements I mean some inexepensive every day type shoes with a 4 inch heel. And there's really ony the one pair that would even be worth selling and I'll probably just give them to my one friend... if he's willing to wear a feminine looking pair of running shoes. If not I'll list them.

Nope no chance. You would need an entire new sole, and a new sole requieres everything else to be fitted. That's why it also doesn't work to build high heels with adjustable heel height.

And the upper will have to be a different shape too.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

You might get away with adding a small wedge to them, but no more than a couple of inches in height, and unless the shoes are very flexible at about the 2/3 point in the sole lengthwise, they just wouldnt sit right.

The wedge can only run along the rear of the shoe up to a point just before the ball of your feet and this where the shoe would have to flex considerably to accomodate the added wedge incline and then from the ball of the foot forward to the toes would need to sit flat. That is not likely to happen and probably would not be worth the effort in my opinion. Otherwise you would be creating either a platform shoe, or a sloping shoe (would feel like you are walking downhill at all times). Also, a shoe that was not designed as having a heel from the start and is modified to have one, would not at all be comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Well, if you are so inclined to put your handyman skills to use and don't mind probably destroying those shoes in the process, go for it and have fun I guess :)

No, not even a couple of inches. you will get a gape at the ball of the foot because the upper is the wrong shape. You know when you get a gape there when you walk? That will be permanent and will be larger when you walk and it will tear.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Since modifying flats is right out, does anyone know really good tutorial (even it's just a link to another thread here cuz I'm like super overwhelmed looking through everything) on making my own heels that are wearable?

Question - Is there a reason you may need to make and/or modify your footwear? For the time and effort, there has got to be a couple thrift shops, and a Walmart or Payless in the area. As strange as it may seem, I've picked up some fantastic deals at garage sales. Found a pair of red 5" Ellie stiletto pumps for $5.00 about a month ago. Seems the woman had to buy them along with the rest of the bridesmaids, She wore them at the wedding service (good Methodist wedding - 15 minutes max) Pictures afterwords, and took them off for the reception. I'm breaking them in now. Also ran into a moving sale at a college town. Girls were liquidating before driving away after graduation. One of the girls had been a dancer/waitress, and liquidated her whole wardrobe. Got some steals in big platforms there. Everything looked like it was never used. Still had the label stickers under the shank. Only the 'tip jar' models had any wear (and no, I didn't buy those).

The problem is that I wear a size 12 womans and trying to find others isn't as easy as I'd like :)

Understood - size 12 isn't that common. Still, thre may be other options. There has got to be a few men with the same problem on this site. Pose the question "where can I find womens size 12 shoes?"

Which forum would be the best place to pose such a question as I'm not looking for anything specific other than some size 12's that are suitable for everyday where

Probably in the guy or everbody sections

-However

Went shopping today real quick while waiting for some paperwork to be completed.

Kohls, Gabriel Brothers, Burlington coat factory, and Payless all had size 12's in stock on the shelf. May not get the hottest latest fashions, but there was a decent general selection. You might have to dig a bit for the higher heel heights, but they are out there.

I was looking for some black boots suitable for motorcycle riding and tame enough to get away with them as an everyday boot. I'm still looking, but the fall boots are coming out.

Are you open to buying online? If so, I might suggest:

www.zappos.com

www.sexyshoes.com

. . .both of which have generous return/exchange policies if the shoes don't fit. There are more than a few more, have a glance at our "Shoe Wholesale / Retail / Internet stores" forum.

There are two major problems buying shoes online:

1.) Fit. Since you cannot "Try before you buy", getting the proper fit may be tricky. Be prepared to send them back for an exchange and deal only with a shop that allows this with no hassle.

2). Wait. Since you have to wait for shipment, the anticipation between placing your order and your lovely beauties arriving can be overwhelming.

On the "plus" side, the Internet is a big place and if it's made, you can find it there.

Have a happy time!

• 10 months later...

Hi to all I have the same problem with sizes as i am a 12 men i have always had to alter shoes to fit or try to make from scratch they don't always look good but are only for around home So i do understand your problem