Laurie's Writing Thread - Discussion

Hi! Welcome to a new topic, here because, well, the subject of my writing skills, and the suggestion of others that I start writing some stories, has appeared in other topics. Certainly not suited to the shoe discussion areas, I thought I would create something here. The idea is simple: comment on what you have seen from my writing style, be it in the training diaries, Goddess Diaries, or field reports... heck, even the regular postings I make in many subjects every day. The goal is simple: see what people like best, start writing some stories, get some feedback from members here who know me and my various styles, and hopefully, find some interest out there. We shall see, won't we... If you have anything to say, say it here! It can also act as a general discussion of writing, not just my writing. I refuse to be so selfish as to keep this topic dedicated to me. Writing is an art, a skill, a treasure, far more important and valuable than just one person. :lol:

Back to what you said in the other forum. Some fanfics are actually pretty decent. They can be just as exciting as the stories they're based on. On to your writings: I miss the training writings, but I enjoy the Field Reports just as much as I did the training ones. I can't say anything bad about them.

I wish I was a size 10

Can't say anything bad about them? That's a start, I suppose. :lol: Writing is one of those joys that is difficult to enjoy. At least it is for me. I can post quick little messages, but time spent on my stories, well, that's not easy. There's always this little bundle of energy and pouty faces that likes to use the computer, as well as have as much of my time as possible. Being depressed hasn't helped either. But that's changing. However, I have about twelve pages of a new story, science fiction, and while it is not being directed at the heel enjoying section of the public, I've put in a few references to cater to those who would be my fans on this site. The goal will be to set up a web site, and post installments of the story. Maybe get a scanner, or send pictures to my sister to scan, include those as well. Who knows. It should be interesting, and let's hope I do get the computer time to work on this. And maybe even hope people will like it.

I already said what I had to say under the moniker of "guest". More power to your writing hand Laurie--I can't wait to read the finished product. :lol:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I enjoyed your diaries Laurie and look forward to reading more. I am also glad that you are feeling happier again and it shows in your writings again. Power to you and your new project :lol: Love Julie xxx

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

I seem to keep agreeing with Julietta. Still, that's a good sign! Laurie, I also enjoyed your writings. You certainly inspired me to aim for higher things in my own writing, and I'd be delighted to read more of what you had to say. I'm discovering that it's very hard to keep writing and keep it interesting and relevant, so the more I work at it, the more I appreciate your hard work. Here's hoping that you're soon back on the case.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Well... I have 12 pages of story, that should expand at least another page when I go through editing to fill in a bit of detail. And then there's formatting, that may push it another half page... As well, I managed to pick up a two week temp assignment. This is good, because it can mean a bit of money, but it is also bad, because it will take away from some of my writing time. Hrm.

Although Laurie you may get inspired whilst temping :lol: which would be wonderful! Also as has been my experience in the past some temp jobs turn into permanent ones. Good luck in both areas Laurie x

Let calm be widespread

This temp job is to cover while other people are on vacation, so it won't be turning into anything else. Not that I would want it as a permanent job, no writing! I think I may have to take a break from writing for a few weeks, though not by choice. :lol:

I'm sure you can do both :lol::lol: and even temping for a couple of weeks will give you a boost and you never know what opportunities will come your way :lol:

Let calm be widespread

As well, I managed to pick up a two week temp assignment.

Not bad! Remember that temp work is the single most important reason why people are chosen for a specific permanent job. I read some statistics on that, and I think it is something like 30% of all permanent positions are filled with people doing the same job as a temp!

What's all the fuss about?

You won't have all day to write, but you will have some time to spend writing. During my last my last semester I did a lot of writing. Now that I'm out I have lots more time to write, but I just don't. I only write when I have a story idea to put down on paper. There's no point in writing just to write. You need to have some idea of what you're writing, well I do.

I wish I was a size 10

Not bad! Remember that temp work is the single most important reason why people are chosen for a specific permanent job. I read some statistics on that, and I think it is something like 30% of all permanent positions are filled with people doing the same job as a temp!

Too true Bert I was offered a position with a Solicitors office and a Car Insurance Company both of which I worked for as a temp. Took the Insurance Company as they offered more money - should have stayed with the solicitors as I loved the work. Money doesn't always mean happiness which is why I work for the nhs now :lol: but then I'm mad :lol: and a b it stupid :lol: :drinking:

Let calm be widespread

Too true Bert I was offered a position with a Solicitors office and a Car Insurance Company both of which I worked for as a temp. Took the Insurance Company as they offered more money - should have stayed with the solicitors as I loved the work. Money doesn't always mean happiness which is why I work for the nhs now :lol: but then I'm mad :lol: and a bit stupid :lol: :drinking:

Let calm be widespread

[but then I'm mad :lol: and a bit stupid :lol: :drinking:

Ah, and there was me wondering why you liked me :lol:

There is more to life than money! Now that I've seen how wonderful life can be, I'm planning to change jobs to spend more time with my family.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Considering everyone at my last place of employment thought I would have a job within days of leaving, and it took a month just to get a vacation relief job for two weeks. Everyone is quick to say wonderful things to me, but realistically, it's a tough job market out there, and someone with my qualifications looks like she may want to be paid more than someone with less experience and ability. If I knew I could survive on my writing within a few months, I'd get to it, but I know it takes a long time to become an established writer. Lots of rejection, and no one can just sneak a manuscript into an office and be given a contract for publishing just like that. And let's face it, I couldn't even work a pay web site for my writing, because I've never done anything to get enough people signing up. A free site can get hits through word of mouth, naturally. Who knows what's going to happen...

Alex, I love writing just for the sake of writing. It is a wonderful thing, and reading something that fills my mind with visions and a warm, fuzzy feeling of accomplishment makes my day every time. Writing is a wonderful thing. But, if you must have a subject, a premise, an idea, a spark of creativity... Get a tiny note book. During the day, if a cool idea pops into your grey matter, jot it down in said book. This way, you can come back to those ideas, and they don't run away. When I worked for the communications company, I did that, in note books, draft e-mails, all over the place. It really helped me get through my days. :lol:

Laurie said:

someone with my qualifications looks like she may want to be paid more than someone with less experience and ability

Then you do what I had to do - taylor your cv according to the job you are after. I was a manager once but when I applied for the job I have now I omitted that and a few other facts as I was over qualified and I really wanted this job. It's all a game Laurie and I learnt how to play it fast as I lost another job because of my over qualifications and sometimes we have to be modest to achieve what we want. All artists have to do the mundane tread mill work thing until their dream job starts paying off but you seem to have perseverance so just hang in there and keep writing and perfecting your art until that break comes.

Jx

Let calm be widespread

I'd rather not do that. But then, there's no choice.

It's a shame, really. All of these skills, and no one smart enough to take advantage of them.

I couldn't agree with you more Laurie but you have to play the game sometimes much, as it can sometimes feel demeaning, but then once you are in a job you can start to shine and shoe (oh my god look at this typo have left it in just to show how obsessed I am) them what you are worth :lol: You'll be fine I'm sure, you have confidence in yourself and that shines through.

Jx

Let calm be widespread

The problem is, bills can't be left unattended. I have no idea if I'll have a new assignment after next week. It's horrible. I need money, and lots of it, so Chris and I can live the way we've always wanted. And it's not happening, and it is all on my end. If those are the rules of the game, and I have to play it, well, I think I'll start cheating. :lol: No rules more fun than the ones you make, no rules more wonderful than the ones you break. :lol:

Well of course you can go the other way, if you have the guts (which I haven't) and over qualify yourself to get you a top job. My ex sister in But they had the gift of the gab and the personalities to pull it off. They used to give themselves all sorts of qualifications and they did have the chat to pull it off and they had really fantastic high paying jobs. It's all a question of c confidence and front so I wish you luck in what ever way you choose to go for it but I'm sure you'll win in the end as you have determination Laurie :lol:

Let calm be widespread

Back to the subject of writing... So I have about four total projects, two are fantasy, one is certainly sci-fi, and another is, well, a bit of both, in some ways. I am hesitant to give details about any of them, because you never know when a hack writer with no ideas will steal something brilliant I have concocted in my brain. My brain is a vault, it needs to be guarded. But I do need to know if people would read my work. There is a difference between reading my posts and enjoying my stories. Some may not involve a lot of high heel stuff. But, of course, there is but one way, so I may need to take something I have written one day, and post it for some feedback. The trick is getting people to visit a web site, and getting enough people to visit that I can set up advertising on the site, thus making some money from it. Fred Gallahger did it for Megatokyo, and after two plus years, he's working on it full time. He has T-shirts and everything. Which means that my idea #4 is probably the one I would choose, combining my writing skill with a few drawings here and there. All I will say, near future setting, subtitle would be Malus gratia Bonus. Otherwise, not a word out of me for fear some thief will take my idea, do it very poorly, and ruin my chances.

Well, I'd read your writings even if they weren't about heels. I'm a big science fiction fan too, and I'm always interested in new SF ideas. I realise that I'll get glared at for this, but I loved the sheer variety of ideas you used to get in SF, and we're now down to a few basic franchises, like Star Wars [1-9], etc. Bring it on!

Laurie;

Have you considered converting your writing into eBooks ?

Here are some sites that explain this business:

http://www.mindlikewater.com/ebook_catalog/what_are_ebooks.html

http://www.ebookboutique.com/Publishing/PublishingHome-01.htm

http://www.ebooks4success.org/what_are_ebooks.html

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

I don't have time to look at all of those links! ...

I am very surprised at your answer. Especially after you had posted:

The problem is, bills can't be left unattended ....... It's horrible. I need money, and lots of it, so Chris and I can live the way we've always wanted. And it's not happening, and it is all on my end.

I got the impression you were desperate. If I were in need of money to pay bills, I would find time to investigate potential job or business opportunites, even if that meant skipping one or two visits to this forum.

....Does it pay well? Can it pay well? Just tell me yes or no. That's the determining factor....

Yes .... if you have the talent, and sign with an online publisher who knows how to market their site.

No ..... if you lack the talent, or sign with an online publisher who does little marketing of their site.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Gee, you'd think people would know me by now... Look, I am being silly, I am allowed to do that. So when I post something like that, it's best to smile, nod, and back away in a slow, non threatening fashion. Careful, if spooked, she may charge, or worse, try to call down lightning. See? Heehee As for talent, people tell me I have some. So where does that leave me? In need of a few moments to try it out. Maybe I'll have some moments while visiting my mother for her birthday...