Stretching shoes

This has possible been the subject of many posts. I have just received a pair of Schuh Lois point black patent court shoes, that have a full 13cm heels are are fantastic, but as many of the reviews on the Schuh web site state they do come up a bit small. How easy is it to stretch the PU material they are made from, and how is it best to go about this

FWIW, my advice is: It's harder and trickier to do than stretching leather. Synthetics are less flexible and tend not to be so 'forgiving' as leather and if tyou intend to try a lot of stretch, you could end up wrecking them. If you want to give it a go... I'm presuming you already have some means of providing the stretch in mind. I've found warming the PU with warm water before you start helps - not too hot, or you may crinkle the surface finish. Go steady while applying the force and watch the PU where it's under stress. It's very easy to overdo things once it starts stretching. Be aware that the PUs are usually a laminate, and the 'body' of it is made of different stuff to the surface. The different layers can behave differently AND/OR can delaminate under stress. If you were asking 'does anyone know of chemical that softens PU?', I don't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

hi ive used the hairdryer method and its worked plus its ever so nice putting on a warm pair of shoes just do it a small ammount at a time and test how flexable it gets as you go abit of trial and error dont over do the heat

Use proper Shoe Stretchers. Just Google - 'high heeled shoe stretchers'.

Probably the best route, but it's also probably necessary to go about it slower, in smaller steps due to the material not being leather?

Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

I sent my Lois Points to the charity shop. They were beautiful but just so narrow. Stretching PU......hmm It's plastic so i suppose you could warm them up a bit before putting them on. However they would look ghastly if they stretched enough to be comfortable though I'm sure!

I sent my Lois Points to the charity shop. They were beautiful but just so narrow.

Stretching PU......hmm

It's plastic so i suppose you could warm them up a bit before putting them on. However they would look ghastly if they stretched enough to be comfortable though I'm sure!

Got it one one.

PU 'leather' is dreadfully difficult to stretch properly....and it DOES look ghastly if it is stretched too much.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Ive had to do this alot since the best footwear only goes to size 8uk, and i work a lot with leather. PU is ALOT harder to stretch then leather and needs to be stretched over the course of a week whereas leather can be stretched in few hours but this is what i do that works..... make the material damp with warm water on the inside and outside....then gently nead the material with a small hammer to make the material more pliable...then insert shoe stretchers (make sure they are the correct shape or you will end up have odd-shaped shoes...so buy wooden stretchers and carve them down to the desired shape and smooth) expand the stretchers 3 turns beyond snug....then place the footwear on a radiator until fully dried.....and repeat but dont take the stretchers out just keep turning the stretcher 3 times after each dampening . This works best with leather but does work with PU, dont use the icebag method as that can split/crack the material. I hope this helps you...

I've found warming the PU with warm water before you start helps

make the material damp with warm water on the inside and outside

What ever you do don't wet them! if they are PU then the shoes will be manufactured to a budget. this means they will have compressed card middling, toe boxes & back stiffeners. Wetting them will make these go soft & mushy - fine at first but the shoes will suffer long term & not last very long.

then gently nead the material with a small hammer to make the material more pliable

DO NOT hit them with a hammer, PU is not fibrous if you imagine hitting a plastic milk bottle over & over is will have little or no effect. You risk "nipping" the upper this way.

Why not take them to your local shoe repairer? he will have a machine (not just a windy windy thing you get of the internet!) which will give specific pressure to specific areas of tightness!

Good Luck!

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

What ever you do don't wet them! if they are PU then the shoes will be manufactured to a budget. this means they will have compressed card middling, toe boxes & back stiffeners. Wetting them will make these go soft & mushy - fine at first but the shoes will suffer long term & not last very long.

DO NOT hit them with a hammer, PU is not fibrous if you imagine hitting a plastic milk bottle over & over is will have little or no effect. You risk "nipping" the upper this way.

Why not take them to your local shoe repairer? he will have a machine (not just a windy windy thing you get of the internet!) which will give specific pressure to specific areas of tightness!

Good Luck!

.....and yet it works, granted in the long term it wont aid their life-span but it works ...you clearly don't know how to express an opinion, please direct your ego elsewhere.

.....and yet it works, granted in the long term it wont aid their life-span but it works ...you clearly don't know how to express an opinion, please direct your ego elsewhere.

Let us please stay friendly.

He is very knowledgeable about all things concerning shoes (it is his profession).

If I were you I would have a little respect for that.

Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

For the record, would you please clarify where/how Shoerepairer is directing his ego or even expressing an opinion?

When somebody offers good sound advice based on years of experience, do you always see this as some sort of EGO trip?

He is nearly twice your age, does this for a living, since long before you even started your GCSE's, and has been here considerably longer than you, so why would you find it even remotely acceptable to blurt out poorly thought out things like this?

What you said doesnt even make sense in relation to what your quoting...

If you can clarify your statement logically, and sensibly, then great...

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

A few years ago I was researching a project I started & was looking for sites involving shoe repairs, which is how I came across HHPlace. I actually have no interest in High Heels (other than there money making potentual!) but was aware some advice was given, which in a professional capacity "could be" damaging to others footwear. Giving advice that works is great & it may work in a lot of cases BUT is might also ruin someones beloved shoes as each pair is different! & this is the stand point I've always replied.

I usually give the reason why maybe the advice given is incorrect & the appropriate (in the professional capacity) remedy.

One thing I do understand about forums, is the written word shows no emotion & YES you can upset people from time to time, simply because they can't hear your voice or don't understand your personality.

If I upset you I am sorry, this was not my intention, but it won't alter the way I write!

Incidently if you want to know the qualifications for my "Ego" I run a very well respected shoe repair forum, write regularly in my trades rag, Am a holder of the waterford crystal shoe repairer of the year award & have judged various competitions! O' and I almost forgot 25 years of experience!

Tech & Yozz thank you for your kind words! you never quite know how the wider majority are viewing you!

:silly:

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

For the record, would you please clarify where/how Shoerepairer is directing his ego or even expressing an opinion?

When somebody offers good sound advice based on years of experience, do you always see this as some sort of EGO trip?

He is nearly twice your age, does this for a living, since long before you even started your GCSE's, and has been here considerably longer than you, so why would you find it even remotely acceptable to blurt out poorly thought out things like this?

What you said doesnt even make sense in relation to what your quoting...

If you can clarify your statement logically, and sensibly, then great...

nevermind, i'm closing my account, clearly my age is of huge importance to you (even though in reality it meas nothing), and my choice not to call myself "leathersmith" (which i am) does in no way reflect my knowledge of the subject, considering the nature of the site i would expect less hatred here, i guess about that i was wrong. Ageism is sooo low its unbelievable. Furthermore, joining a site doesnt fill a person with unquestionable wisdom. Congratulations you have driven another person away with your hatred. I wish you understood the effect that your hated has on people, especially people on such a site as this....

nevermind, i'm closing my account, clearly my age is of huge importance to you (even though in reality it meas nothing), and my choice not to call myself "leathersmith" (which i am) does in no way reflect my knowledge of the subject, considering the nature of the site i would expect less hatred here, i guess about that i was wrong. Ageism is sooo low its unbelievable. Furthermore, joining a site doesnt fill a person with unquestionable wisdom. Congratulations you have driven another person away with your hatred. I wish you understood the effect that your hated has on people, especially people on such a site as this....

It has nothing to do with your age, its your ATTITUDE.... Your attitude stunk in the way you posted what you did, and if this is how you feel about it, then so-be-it... Your loss.

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

I tried yesterday (and overnight in the freezer) on faux leather pumps that are too tight for my toes, and that resisted Shoe Eze.

Ice didn't stretch the shoes in any way.

Regards

Back to the topic sorry for the pros here.

This time I succeeded to stretch these pumps without going to the shoe repairer. Here is how :

First I took on two pairs of my thickest winter socks.

Second I damped my feet by plunging them in the water filled tub.

Third I took on the shoes with the wet thick socks, and I did all my chores of the week at home in them.

This took me 2h30

Result :

My chores are finished :unsure:

My shoes have stretched the good way :silly:

Will not do this with expensive shoes. But these were bought on sale and they didn't have my size left.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

I personally have a pair of leather boots (I think they're leather at least...) that seem to be a size too small. Which method would you prefer to stretch these out a little bit? Mostly in the toe area and try to lengthen it.

You can stretch to gain width but if you need to add to the length you don't have any good options. Sometimes stretching the width will relieve pressure on the toes by allowing your foot to spread out sideways but realistically, there is very little you can do to add length.

Have a happy time!

I have tried the ice thing. It seems to work sometimes and requires more than one attempt. I feel we all must simply do the following when buying shoes: Do they have my size? Yes or No If no; Can not have the shoes. End of story. More power to those that have gotten to them first. Keep an eye on ebay...

I have tried the ice thing. It seems to work sometimes and requires more than one attempt. I feel we all must simply do the following when buying shoes:

Do they have my size? Yes or No

If no; Can not have the shoes. End of story. More power to those that have gotten to them first. Keep an eye on ebay...

You've forgotten to mention the most important step when purchasing shoes in person from any shoe retailer. If they do have the size that you normally wear in stock,

try them on before you buy them!

We big footed people can't buy our shoes at the local retailer because they don't know what comes after 10. We fashion addicts can't buy our shoes in the local retailer because they don't know that fashion exists. Have to go to the next city of more than 1 million inhabitants :silly: Or buy online. So much for the "try them before you buy them". :unsure: