What kind of floor is best so high heels can be worn indoors

Ben(Canada)

I think the carpeting in my townhouse is making me sneeze...haachu...oh I hate that. Anyways, this last Christmas I went to a party in someone's home. Well of course everyone took their shoes off and neatly tucked them under a bench so they would be out of sight. There were even a few pairs of high heels I noticed. But isn't it a shame that we couldn't all admire those high heels being worn. Isn't it silly that we don't all have floors that allow high heels and other shoes to be worn indoors? I am thinking of replacing my carpeting, so what kind of floor is compatible with people wearing high heels indoors? I have heard that the snap together laminate flooring is tough, but will it handle the stiletto heels? Or do those who wear these like to be naughty and punch holes in everyone's floors? :smile: Ben

If I ever had enough money to own my own place, I would put in tile. Hardwood floors are nice, but heels will ruin them. Carpet is too soft and I never like trying to wear my stilettos inside to build up my endurance, because everything is carpet and it's not as much fun, in some ways. The heel also doesn't make solid contact, the carpet fibres can cause shifting. A heated tile floor would be nice. They don't have to be ceramic, but large sqaure tiling that offered a good resistance would be great. It still sounds nice, but is strong enough to survive the abuse I would put it through. Just think of what they might put in a modern kitchen, and place it all over, entrance, hallways, and then use area rugs to accent and warm up the areas that may require it. Also, everyone should have a big kitchen.

At my abode I have slate floors downstairs and upstairs well worn carpet. In heels, I always prefer a hard floors, carpets really are analogous with quick sand. For starters there's no sound and you can get a heel caught in carpet (not good). B) Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

Hi Laurie, Debbie, Jo-Jo, and Inga :smile: Thanks for providing input and you answered my question, but now I am wondering how many of you actually wear shoes or high heels inside your "home"? Here in Canada it seems most people don't wear shoes inside their homes. In the household I grew up in, we always wore shoes inside. Well before about 1960's very few people we knew had carpets, and lino floors are colder. My dad and mom grew up on farms in northern Alberta, where I was born as well, and it was a lot of bother to always take off shoes going in and out. Even now they wear shoes on carpets. Nowadays people often go ballistic if you don't take off shoes going inside their homes, but in businesses, people almost always wear shoes. This makes me think a lot of people like to go to work or go out so they can wear their nice shoes somewhere. Because for people that don't wear shoes inside their homes, work at home, and don't go out that much, well it is hardly worth buying fancy shoes at all. Ben B) Why install carpets, just fasten smaller pieces of the carpet to your feet and save money (from McDonald's ad) <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ben(Canada) on 2002-02-16 01:14 ]</font>

The answer is I nearly always wear heels inside my house. Don't wear them to bed, I know some do. B) Also, I don't wear them when I'm showering, again some do, but it's a pretty good way to totally destroy your shoes. Have a great weekend don't get to cold and take care. Inga :smile: _________________ Platforms are for standing on, not for walking in. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IHeels on 2002-02-16 01:31 ]</font>

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

Floors strong enough to support your weight! All kidding aside, I wear the chunky rubber soles, and as such, I tend to hate carpets because of the static charge when I next touch metal objects! Anything else goes!! Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

Ben, you said that we Canadians take off our shoes at home. I have noticed this. My mother is not like this as much, but then she was born in Denmark, maybe things are different there in a way I could only understand if I lived there for a few months. Everyone promotes hardwood floors as being wonderful, and it is a selling point for new homes that seem to move our city in every direction before the roads are built. They aren't a good surface unless a person has slippers. Other shoes can damage the finish. So why are they popular? I have carpet, and I wear my silver heeled mules at home. The heel is not stiletto, just thin, so it does not catch in the carpet. I used to go barefoot all of the time, and I still do in the mornings. I started wearing shoes inside as a way to fight the winter dryness. This can really ruin the skin on a girl's feet when carpeting is everywhere. With such a practical concern, it is a wonder that more people do not wear shoes inside. And for the record, I do not wear my shoes in the shower or bath tub. And no laughing if sometimes I fall asleep while wearing them. Even if it can be intentional.

A few years ago I replaced the full carpet by strong tiles. I noted in one of the restaurants/pubs they had very strong resistant tiles because they used metal tables and chairs and the tiles werent scratched after a couple of years. After enquiring where they got it from I changed my living room as well. The tiles are 40x40cm and I laid them down with a narrow seem, because that is the week point for stilettos. I have floor heating and love it, especially coming out of the bath or shower.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

It depends on the culture doesn't it? In some Asian cultures especially, not to take your shoes off indoors is considerd very rude, like a huge insult to the host. Any kind of wooden floor used with stilettos is probably going to get damaged in the long run, but I have seen people get quite excited over the little indentations in floors, so who am I to judge :smile:

Laminated floors are great on heels. Real hardwood floors could get scratched by stilleto heels. Laminated floors look like hardwood but have some kind of treated surface to resist heavy wear and tear. You can also use floor tile or marble flooring which is expensive.