Timpsons

If ever there was a company to be gratefull for then my vote goes to Timpsons. After a damaged ankle strap on a sandal, Timpsons came to the rescue. For the pultry sum of £9.95 they repaired the ankle strap and also fitted a pair of steel heel tips. Whats more they were ready within a hour. Now thats what I call good service. They have plenty of branches across the country, 635 in total to be precise so there is a very good chance there is one near you. If you want good service then I highly recommend Timpsons. Check out their website to find your nearest branch at

www.timpson.com

HERE IS A PICTURE SHOWING THE SERVICES THEY PROVIDE

here are the pics of my repaired strap and the heel tips:smile::):smile::P

post-17818-133522911556_thumb.jpg

post-17818-133522911561_thumb.jpg

post-17818-133522911573_thumb.jpg

post-17818-133522911579_thumb.jpg

I use Timpson's all the time for running repairs on my heels. I took a pair of Vintage '80's White 'Barbie' boots into our local branch for new steel tips once, and they treated them like a 'Rolls Royce'!!

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

So where did you buy your company shares from?

:P

i dont have company shares but i do believe that everyone should know of a good cobbler. you never know when you may need one:smile::)

A great ad for Timpson & if your happy with the wrong colour thread, missing the original holes & heel tips with the attaching pin not flush then you've found your self an excellent repairer :) I take nothing away from your recommendation, but you pays your money you takes your chances! I'd always recommend an independent repairer myself, generally they lavish more care & investment (pink thread!) on their work! Lee

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

www.timpson.com

HERE IS A PICTURE SHOWING THE SERVICES THEY PROVIDE

here are the pics of my repaired strap and the heel tips:smile::):smile::P

I am sorry, but why are you happy with that? the stitching is awful, I dont think you are doing them any favours by showing that picture and they dont deserve it for that repair.

The angels have the phonebox.

If you're prepared to leave your shoes for a few days then you will get a better job as they will have the chance to order in the right bits and pieces. Timpsons are "instant" repairers...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I think it would be important for me to get the shoes repaired correctly. There are a couple of ways to do any job, the correct way and the other way, I would always choose the correct way. I appreciate not everybody thinks the same as me though.

Timpsons????

Looks like it was done by the "Simpsons" :) That looks pants.... Doesnt even match the rest of the stitching!

Lee, your avatar is wicked lol... The Stig's evil twin...

Ironic! The 2008 winner of the shoe repairer of the year competition was a Mr Simpson!

Lee

Ironic! The 2008 winner of the shoe repairer of the year competition was a Mr Simpson!

Lee

i know the stitching dont match. i told the repairer to do it that colour as they never had any pink thread available. it does not matter to me as they are only going to be used for a sponsored walk. im happy with the result as it only cost £10 to do the stitching and fit steel heel tips that will be needed to walk the 10 miles i intend to do. plastic tips wont go the distance. as for the tips that is how they were made. the strap is only about 1/4'' shorter. there was plenty of room to remove the damaged piece. i now use the second hole in instead of the third. there is no way in a million years anyone would notice the stitching while the shoes are being worn.

i know the stitching dont match. i told the repairer to do it that colour as they never had any pink thread available. it does not matter to me as they are only going to be used for a sponsored walk. im happy with the result as it only cost £10 to do the stitching and fit steel heel tips that will be needed to walk the 10 miles i intend to do. plastic tips wont go the distance

Thanks Kev,

Yes, I understand why you have had them repaired and that strength was the most important part along with speed and convienience and, to top it all, you are happy with the repair, its a win win situation for you.

We are at THE high heel place here and I think we need to say for the record that even though it is just what you are after, it could have been done better.

Thanks for sharing it with us, it has proved to be quite interesting for me as I didnt know that these sorts of things were undertaken at timpsons or any other shoe repairers for that instance. I have a few repairs in mind myself now that I know these things are possible.

as for the tips that is how they were made.

An incorrect assumption all pins when fitted are pressed into the main heel body, flush (see attachment)

Occasionally we switch the pins for different sizes, by knocking out the old one & hammering in a new correct size one.

However they take a good hammering to get flush & if you don't get them flush (as in this case) you often find that as the heel is worn down the main heel body begins to spin on the pin. this is because the head of the pin is knurled (seen in your picture) & has reduced grip if not flush.

I charge £6 for metal stiletto heels, I charge £4 for stitching. thats your £10

but

A. the heels will give you good wear, with out you wobbling on the pin for the first few steps

B. the stitching will be the same colour & cast off correctly (something I didn't mention before!) so won't come undone!

If you manage your 10 miles on these repairs, it will be more down to luck than judgment!

A very poor representation of my beloved industry :)

But good luck on your walk, I'd do well to walk ten miles in trainers!

Lee

post-12131-133522913339_thumb.jpg

Since my local traditional cobbler retired, I have been somewhat at a loss for getting shoe repairs done at a reasonable price - I'm primarily referring to new rubber heels on men's shoes. The other cobbler in the area quoted a price for this 'starting at' almost £12, which seems to me excessive and may be more than the shoes are worth! I haven't dared ask at Timpsons; I guess it would be even more there and I always get the impression that Timpson's work is done with limited care. So, what is a fair price for this straightforward task? As I can buy rubber heels for £3 a pair or less, maybe a spot of DIY is in order; I certainly have the skill and facilities to do the job (although I do accept that precise shaping of the curved back of a rubber heel is not quite so easy as it might look). The boots in my avatar have a solid rubber cuban heel. I assume that a slice of 4 or 5mm would have to be taken off the whole heel to eliminate the worn portion (at one side) and a new rubber heel then stuck on and shaped. Am I right? Is there anything about this type or shape of heel that is unusual or requires special attention?

quoted a price for this 'starting at' almost £12, which seems to me excessive

In the shoe repair industries national price survey which was conducted in December 2009 the national average UK price for heels of the type shown in your avatar was £8.98. I myself charge £9 which is inline with this. so £12 does seam on the high side. HOWEVER given that I must have a good 60k invested in machines. Many thousands tied up in stock & skills which have been developed with decades in the industry (a typical repairer) that I believe a £10 repair will usually be far superior to a DIY one & MORE IMPORTANTLY you will get a material which has been carefully selected to give a longer wear than the original manufacturers choice (usually a molded one, designed for fast/cheap production) so you are returned with a pair of shoes which

1. Are correctly balanced, pitched & leveled (which is rarely the case from DIY)

2. Last longer than original

3. Are cheaper than replacing the footwear

4. Are suitably comfortable!

If you do chose the DIY option, once you've brought yourself the heels, (which will be nowhere near as good as a repairers) glue, nails & sand paper how much will you actually save over getting them done professionally?

Lee

Thank you, Lee. That information is interesting and you make some fair points - much as I expected. If I can get men's heels replaced properly by a cobbler for £8 or £9, I will probably use him - £12 is just too much. You are right about the quality of the heels put on by most manufacturers (almost regardless of the price of the shoes) - too thin and with a short life. But re-heeling after a short time can easily eliminate the cost saving on that bargain pair of shoes! I am aware that a lot of shoe repair items sold for DIY are of inferior quality but believe that I can get proper professional-quality heels without difficulty or undue expense. And suitable nails, glue etc are a trivial extra cost and already in my workshop. So, for straightforward re-heeling, DIY remains an option - I have done it before and the saving is not an illusion. My question about the boots in my avatar was a separate issue. I simply wanted to know wheher the solid rubber heel requires special treatment so that, if I go to a cobbler for re-heeling, I will not get any nasty surprises about what is necessary or the cost. Can you enlighten me, please?

So, for straightforward re-heeling, DIY remains an option - I have done it before and the saving is not an illusion

Indeed not, I wish you success. my parting comment on DIY or Professional would be this.

Do you know the difference between thermoplastic rubber, PVC or polyvelt? or their properties? not trying to belittle you in anyway. but the biggest problems I see with DIY is the repair coming apart. I carry 4 glues & 2 primers for the various materials I see, each used hourly! tripping is a real concern if your repairs fail. Get them done professionally you know it makes sense!

My question about the boots in my avatar was a separate issue. I simply wanted to know wheher the solid rubber heel requires special treatment so that, if I go to a cobbler for re-heeling, I will not get any nasty surprises about what is necessary or the cost. Can you enlighten me, please?

Run of the mill repair for me, should be the standard price of a gents re-heel.

Lee

post-12131-133522914815_thumb.jpg I have just replaced 8 elastics in two different coloured pairs of shoes & here’s my guide to the minimum you should expect from having stitching done in a shoe repairers. 1. Thread colour: - the thread should be of a similar colour & shade to the original stitches 2. Tension: - stitches should be tight with out “Lose” stitches 3. Old stitches should be removed where possible before the new row is stitched. 4. New stitches should where possible be put in the original holes, to avoid perforating & weakening the original material. 5. You should find it difficult to see where the stitching was started & finished (casting on & off) post-12131-133522914822_thumb.jpg Always ask to see your repairman’s work prior to leaving you job, if he’s reluctant to show you his work or uses any excuses such as “we haven’t done any today” walk away! Lee

shoerepairer i had a pair of black knee length boots repaired by timpsons when i was on buisness trip to england. The zipper came half way off the rigth boot and they replaced the zipper and the only way you can see they have been rapired is because the handle on the zipper aint the same otherwise you cant even tell. it did take them 45 though but thats still amazing for a good repair job.

shoerepairer i had a pair of black knee length boots repaired by timpsons when i was on buisness trip to england. The zipper came half way off the rigth boot and they replaced the zipper and the only way you can see they have been rapired is because the handle on the zipper aint the same otherwise you cant even tell. it did take them 45 though but thats still amazing for a good repair job.

Leigh at no point did I criticise Timpson as a whole, I said

I take nothing away from your recommendation

you found a good repairman, you have to speak to each repairer individually, as skills will vary from person to person, irrespective of who or where they work.

As I said (its very important in establishing what your paying for)

Always ask to see your repairman’s work prior to leaving you job

But I do stand by this quote, even your skilled repairer, will be limited in what stock he can have in his store as part of a national company, he's very unlikely to pop out to make sure he's stitching that unusual peice of work with the right coloured thread.

I'd always recommend an independent repairer myself, generally they lavish more care & investment (pink thread!) on their work!

What every way you dress is up, the job shown was a terrible advert for both Timpson & my trade as a whole.

Lee

Leigh at no point did I criticise Timpson as a whole, I said

you found a good repairman, you have to speak to each repairer individually, as skills will vary from person to person, irrespective of who or where they work.

As I said (its very important in establishing what your paying for)

But I do stand by this quote, even your skilled repairer, will be limited in what stock he can have in his store as part of a national company, he's very unlikely to pop out to make sure he's stitching that unusual peice of work with the right coloured thread.

What every way you dress is up, the job shown was a terrible advert for both Timpson & my trade as a whole.

Lee

I am quite aware.

My post was only to inform you that i was pleased with the repair job i have gotten there.

And i agree with you that strap repair aint that good.

Leigh.