Tip for repairing damaged boot zippers

Hi all, Not long ago I purchased a lovely new pair of boots. The leather is pure quality, soft and buttery, the heels are strong but the zippers were very poor quality. Both zipper tags broke within a few weeks of buying them and the zipper popped on one boot (around ankle height) a couple of weeks ago. I took them to a bootmaker and as they are fully lined they were going to cost a fortune to fix so I decided to try a couple of things before I sent them off for open heart surgery and I am glad I did. Now I don't guarantee these couple of tips will work for every situation and they may be too involved for some, but I thought I'd share them in case others here are in a similar position and want to give them a try before spending a fortune on replacing long boots zippers. Obviously if any of the zipper teeth are completely broken, then the zipper will need to be replaced. In my case they were intact but were weakened and out of alignment. Tip 1 For the broken zipper tags, replace them with medium sized key rings. Not only are they cheap (around a dollar for 2) but they actually look quite fashionable. Note that in order for them to attach to the zipper runner, the remaining part of the broken zipper tag needs to be removed. Tip 2 I've found that a popped zipper was not the end of the world. In my case the zipper completely detached from one side. If possible, force the zipper back on to the other side in an angled downward unzip motion making sure that the teeth are lined up correctly and pull it down to the base. Obviously the last few teeth near the base of the zipper will not link without the zipper being unstitched so I used a small staple (pushing through from the inside to the outside of the zipper) just above where the zipper disappears into the boot and press the points down and inward to prevent the zipper from splitting at the base. Glue or thread looping fine fishing line may also keep the zipper base together. As mentioned earlier, if the teeth are out of alignment where the zipper popped, to prevent it from re-popping, straighten them up by hand and drizzle a tiny amount of superglue along the base of the affected teeth where the zipper teeth are stitched into the zipper fabric. The glue keeps the affected teeth in position and strengthens them. Be careful not to add too much glue as it could create a ridge preventing the zipper from gliding and make sure the zipper is open whilst the glue dries to prevent sticking. I have worn the boots around a dozen times since my makeshift repair and the zipper is still holding firm.:smile:

The reason your zipper broke is not because of its quality but because the boots are a little tight & your pulling hard to raise the zip runner!

Along with rings you can (in the UK at least) buy replacement runners similar to these

http://www.saddler.co.uk/shop.html?cr=3335&cdesc=replacement_zip_runner_tags for only a few pounds/dollars

If the teeth on the zip spread behind the runner as you pull the runner or if the runner comes off, then as a temporary repair (they usually spread again!) you can nip the trailing edge of the runner together again,

Posted Image

usually it has spread because it is only solid at the leading edge & its the trailing edge that closes the two sides of the zip.

Posted Image

If you do go down the route of getting it replaced you can ask your repairer not to set the zip so deep into the boot, you can gain almost 1/4inch each side this way which gives you another 1/2 to fill!

Lee

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

Quite right shoerepairer. my zipper popped again and I realised that the zipper runner was the problem. I found a good quality runner on an old bag I had which was the same size and replaced it. The zipper is now working beautifully with no popping. It was tricky replacing the runner which I did by removing the little metal tabs at the top of the zipper and then slid the runner on slowly ensuring both sides of the zipper teeth we lined up correctly.

Would anyone know when replacing boot zippers if there is any advantage in going for metal zippers over the standard nylon/plastic? Are they more durable and less prone to popping? When my current zippers finally give way after all my running repairs, I'll be taking shoe repairers advice and request that my replacement zippers are not stitched in as deep to give me that 1/2 inch extra I need to make my boots a perfect fit.

Nylon zips are far more durable than metal ones, I always advice to change to nylon from metal. Metal zip teeth are individually crimped to make the zipping, the problem arises that if you have to force them or the zip twists the can move & then the zip can pop or fall apart. nylon zips either have a spiral of plastic with is stitched in place or teeth which are melted onto the material that makes up the zipping & in my experience are far more forgiving to movement forcing & daily life! Lee

Nylon zips are far more durable than metal ones, I always advice to change to nylon from metal.

Metal zip teeth are individually crimped to make the zipping, the problem arises that if you have to force them or the zip twists the can move & then the zip can pop or fall apart. nylon zips either have a spiral of plastic with is stitched in place or teeth which are melted onto the material that makes up the zipping & in my experience are far more forgiving to movement forcing & daily life!

Lee

Thanks for the wonderful advice Shoerepairer. I'll stick with nylon zippers.

• 3 months later...

You might try getting a quote from a repair shop. You will no longer have to guess how big the "bundle" will be. Guaranteed it'll be worse if you try to do it yourself, mess it up and then have the repair shop make it right.

Have a happy time!

The quality of zips - and the stitching - on a lot of modern day low and middle range boots, leaves a lot to be desired these days. I find many boots the same as I have thick legs and ankles.

The only thing to do is to exercise some patience......and light fingers...when trying boots on for the first few times. You can ease the zipper in slowly.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

So, I'm guessing going to a "shoe repair" shop costs a bundle, just for a zip replacement?

I'm sure you don't go to work not to earn money do you? same for your cobbler. the problem with zips is they are very time consumming to do, typically up to an hour. We don't work for nothing! nor do our overheads disappear because we have a zip to do.

I've just replaced my stitching machine with an investment of several thousand pounds! Doing a job professionally & PROPERLY costs a "bundle", even for "just for a zip"

However, if like many you've spent your money on a nice pair of boots, they are comfortable, you like them & they are not worn to badly then £30-£40 for a replacement zip makes sound sense (Unless you've brought cheap in the first place). Does it not?

Lee

If you do go down the route of getting it replaced you can ask your repairer not to set the zip so deep into the boot, you can gain almost 1/4inch each side this way which gives you another 1/2 to fill!

Lee

Yes, I have a few pairs like that...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I hope someone can guide me on this. I bought a nice pair of boots abroad, and the first time I used them, I didn't pull the zipper pull to the top. So, the tape of the zipper expanded a bit and now it has a funny shape. I'm travelling again in two days, and I need this boots. How can I fix the tape?:unsure:

I hope someone can guide me on this.

I bought a nice pair of boots abroad, and the first time I used them, I didn't pull the zipper pull to the top. So, the tape of the zipper expanded a bit and now it has a funny shape.

I'm travelling again in two days, and I need this boots. How can I fix the tape?:unsure:

Sorry I didn't reply to your PM (and others) I've been away for a couple of weeks. I don't think this is the zip runner you've got problems with but the zip itself, is that right?

Is this a nylon or metal zip? has the webbing stretched? can you post a photo of the damage?