My shoe choice has caused bunions

sharon

Question

Hi iv always had what people call stiletto shape feet, over the past few years my feet as taken on a very pointy shape and my big toes angle over alot also staying like it when bare foot for hr. problem is now i have developed bunions at the joint of the big toes and im having to press my feet into my shoes esp when there new,just wondering what i should do but i love wearing heels and cant emagine not wearing them,thanks all Sharon.

shaz

10 answers to this question

You can have corrective surgery but this almost invariably means a high heel ban. Another option is to wear toe straighteners at night and whenever you are not wearing heels. I doubt this will cure the condition but it could delay the progression.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Bunions are actually a hereditary condition. Shoes with high heels and pointy toes may make the condition worse, but they are not the primary cause of bunions. You can confirm this by some research on the Internet (serious medical sites, not the purveyors of phone cures). My wife had to have surgery many years ago for her bunions. Several years after the surgery, she was able to wear moderately high heels again. Our daughter inherited the condition, and had developed bunions by the age of 12 or so, well before she was into high heels. She too had to have surgery, in her late teens. Again, it took several years, but she was able to wear high heels in her mid twenties. She continues to do so, and the condition has not returned.

Hi all thanks for the replys well i saw a foot Dr today who checked my feet out,at first i could see by her face she was a bit suprised that i was wearing 5" stiletto heel courts,she confirmed that i do have very developed bunions and also a deformed arches that is faily high and not suported in my shoes, after a 30 min check and some light callouse removal etc i asked do you think i need surgery! her reply was yes but no becase you have very tight tendons from wearing heels for many years and that need adressing before bunion surgery. well guys i guess i may well stay as i am and just put up with my deformed feet as they say lol chat soon .

shaz

Dear Sharon You are not alone suffering for beauty. I'm more or less, in the same situation like you, but i don't have bunions. My biggest problem is with corns and my shoes. Many of them are in a smaller size which made my corns aching very much. But i continue to wear them because they are very nice and trendy, even if i saw, day by day that my corns became bigger and more painful. This is the price that we have to pay for being in fashion. Luiza

luiza can i ask ! corns yes there painfull litle things but what size footwear do you wear daily, and what size footwear should you wear ie your true shoe size?. i have for years worn tight high heel pointy shoes and always liked shoes felling tight rather than losse,but when my feet changed shape its almost imposible to get footwear that is a proper fit i guess u know what i meen, chat soon

shaz

Dear Sharon My true size is 37, but i have many pairs 36, and even one pair 35. Of course that i have 37 also, which are the most comfortable. I wear smaller shoes when thy fit my clothes, all the day at the office or outside. I like tight shoes, and i hate to see high heels with a gap at heels, I hope not to develop bunions, with corns i still manage the pain even if sometimes i'm near to cry. Bye luiza

Luiza hello again, i know what you meen about your shoes,i have done the same seen some shoes that i like so much but found them to be a size or often size and half smaller than my currant shoes i am wearing,wanting them so bad i have sqwashed my feet in them and convinced myself there fine just to find that after a week of wearing them yet another corn or callouse has formed,stupid i now but i just love sexy shoes.

shaz

Hello Sharon, not sure this will help you but my wife also has bunions and corns on her toes, she wears heels alot that i like also, she wets her shoes at the bunion area and wears them around the house wetting the leather inside and out side for a few hrs, the foot tends to shape her shoes very easy and she finds that she can then wear her high heels alot longer, hope your feet are ok ,Tim.

Somehow I never seem to have much of a problem there. Just a month back I got a pair of six inch square toe pumps and while I still need to practice walking they do not damage my toe joints. The four inch heel 9 west I can wear three days continuous and no problem. It looks to me that those ugly pointies are more of a problem than the heels.