Vintage Fashion Scans and Photographs

Firefox

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pictures, They are from a wonderfull time when most women didn't own a pair of trousers and had to do everything in tight skirts and high heel shoes. :wink: I have loads of pictures like this which I could post if you can tell me how I can export them from my Microsoft Communites website to this page.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

The best thing to do is save the pics on your hard drive, if they aren't already on there.

Then use our in house picture server, kindly provided by one of our friends here:

http://65.160.96.70/hhplace/

You upload your pic using the "browse" button and link to the URL it gives you, using the [ img ] tags for posts in this picture thread.

This is a montage made from a two page promotion article for a cut-out and sew skirt offer which was published in a 1956 women's magazine.

Most commercially made straight skirts had a kick pleat at the back to make them easier to walk in. However in the fifties, teenage girls often used to omit the kick pleat in order to make the skirts tighter for better effect.

The picture shows the model demonstrating the kick pleat at the back of the skirt, which they claim gives ample room for walking and goes on to suggest that you can even run for a bus in it!

Posted Image

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

• 3 weeks later...

Nice contemporary photos, Skirted.

Here's one from a works magazine in the early 1960's. I scanned it and the quality isn't great, but it shows what Air Hostesses were wearing at that time.

Posted Image

Wow, this thread goes from strength to strength. That's a great picture which shows the metal heel is nothing so new. It's posed, obviously, but I love the flowing lines of the shoe and the way it is mirrored in the model's hand.

This picture shows a young lady in 1958 modelling the new short! skirt.

By the late fifties skirts started to get shorter as young women found the long tight skirts of the mid fifties were

too limiting for their active life styles.

The high step pose is meant to demonstrate the improved freedom of movement that the shorter straight skirts gave women.

Note the 3" stiletto heel court shoes which were very popular at the time.

http://65.160.96.70/hhplace/images/1057015953

A good example of a classic 50's skirt suit with it's long tight skirt.

Note the models long white gloves and her hour glass figure.

Judging by the thick high heels on her court shoes I would date the suit around 1954/1956.

It's certainly got a high WOW! factor. :wink:

Posted Image

How about this combination? A lot more exciting than Birkenstocks under Levis jeans, both to look at and certainly to wear. Sometimes practicality should be alternated with pure pleasure (or some challenge), just for the sake (and pleasure) of some sensations in our too easy life.

Posted Image

Just typing this wearing my much taken in knee length jeans skirt altered to my desires by the seamstress last week. O now don't have to care as much how I keep my legs when sitting down because the narrow opening at my knees doesn't allow any more glimpses up my skirt, the confined feeling just adds to the pleasure and tactile feedback of wearing a skirt, while the freedom below the knees still allows sufficient movement (albeit with a different technique) for doing most activities but with much better cooling of the legs. With such built in restriction by the skirt it doesn(t matter anymore wearing heels or not because they are not the limiting factor anymore. They just make the outfit look smarter and the legs longer and your overall figure more slender. Try it, you'll like it (once in a while).

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

sometimes my wife wears some stiletto pumps like in the photographs. she doesn't too much because she says they are too high to wear for a long time but she likes them. i wish i knew how to post a photograph. you people are very clever to do this.

Posting photographs. There's comprehensive directions on how to post photos in the "FAQ" section. Check it out. It's not as difficult as it might seem. Besides, if you need help, just ask. There's a lot of people around here just waiting to offer advice and instructions.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Yeah, as Bubba says, we're always here to help. In fact if you look just up the page, you'll see I explained it for you here too. It's not as difficult as you imagine. Find some nice vintage fashion scans on the web or make your own, follow the instructions and post here! Thanks for the one you did Hiluc. I like that one of the two young girls which I have seen before. It's a natural pose, and a good view of the outfits. On with the show guys...

I wonder how Debbie is coming along with her signiture line of exquisite fashions based on past fashion designs?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 2 weeks later...

In 1959 there was a craze amongst young women for making their straight skirts as tight as possible.

They would sew up the slit or pleat at the back of the skirt and taper the side seams so that they could hardly get their knees apart.

This craze did not last long for obvious reasons. Girls found they could hardly walk in these skirts let alone dance.

At the time most young men had a scooter or a motorbike and there was no way a girl in one of these skirts would be able to ride on one.

Girls who wore these tight skirts would sit around in coffee bars all evening looking good, but if you manage to pick one up, you had to have car because she could not except a lift on your motor scooter or walk very far with you.

Posted Image

In 1959 there was a craze amongst young women for making their straight skirts as tight as possible.

They would sew up the slit or pleat at the back of the skirt and taper the side seams so that they could hardly get their knees apart.

I still have the majority of my skirts taken in by my seamstress because I like the feeling of a tight skirt and don't have to pay too much attention the way I sit so people cannot look into my skirt. To increase their practicability I sometimes have a hidden zipper sewn into the split or use a row of buttons to control the opening of the slit when I have to climb stairs or especially when boarding older line busses.

Posted Image

This is an example of this trick on a still practicable but very tight non stretching green ribbed velour skirt I like to combine with my 1980 leather pull on boots.

Posted Image

This skirt was originally purchased quite a few years ago from the Together (part of 3-Suises) mail order catalogue, was already straight but further tapered upon my request to obtain the look and feel I perefered. Not really vintage but definitely using the same philosophy.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

A very nice skirt and boots there Luc. And you also managed to get good flowing hip lines with this skirt. As you say not fifties, but an example of how contemporary fashions can be altered with care to acheive the desired look.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking through all of the vintage photographs in this thread brings back memories of the late 60's and early 70's. That's when I used to go to the library to search through various magazines looking for models wearing high heels. And to highluc, I hope you take this as a compliment. But you have an uncanny resemblence to my late father.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Looking through all of the vintage photographs in this thread brings back memories of the late 60's and early 70's. That's when I used to go to the library to search through various magazines looking for models wearing high heels.

It shows what a marvellous tool the internet is in that we can share the results of our research.

Sophia Loren C.1958:

Posted Image