hey hey hey

we stayed with purple for this week this will probably be the last update i have for a few weeks im leaving on 3/12 for business and as a rule for business trips its only white french tips then ill be around for st patricks day which will be sally hansens "emerald city" then im away on business again but we chose dark purple with white.......silver glitter and flowers made of crystals

post-22517-133522907124_thumb.jpg

post-22517-133522907125_thumb.jpg

post-22517-133522907126_thumb.jpg

post-22517-133522907127_thumb.jpg

... i can do everything anybody else can do........it just sometimes takes some time to adjust to doing it

... im leaving on 3/12 for business and as a rule for business trips its only white french tips ...

Two questions, scott:

1. Can you pick your nose without risking brain damage? :pulsingheart:

2. What is your line of business and what reaction to your nails do you get from business associates? :blinkbigeyes:

Two questions, scott:

1. Can you pick your nose without risking brain damage? :pulsingheart:

2. What is your line of business and what reaction to your nails do you get from business associates? :blinkbigeyes:

of course i can

i have an IT consulting company

initially when i first meet some people they are a bit taken back, others compliment me for them, others say nothing and dont really react at all

For what's it's worth, I actually find that style of finger nails absolutely hideous. That's my opinion. I don't even like them on females. :blinkbigeyes: The people that you encounter that don't ever comment are just being polite. I'm sure that they'll never forget you since you probably leave a lasting impression. And, perhaps not the most favorable one, either. But, if you like them, then wear them. After all, you are the one that has to be happy.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

For what's it's worth, I actually find that style of finger nails absolutely hideous. That's my opinion. I don't even like them on females. :blinkbigeyes:

The people that you encounter that don't ever comment are just being polite. I'm sure that they'll never forget you since you probably leave a lasting impression. And, perhaps not the most favorable one, either.

But, if you like them, then wear them. After all, you are the one that has to be happy.

maybe some are being polite and maybe some just really arent sure what to say

either way it doesnt matter to me, im not going to let the feelings of others influence what i do

maybe some are being polite and maybe some just really arent sure what to say

either way it doesnt matter to me, im not going to let the feelings of others influence what i do

Way to go! :blinkbigeyes:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

For what's it's worth, I actually find that style of finger nails absolutely hideous. That's my opinion. I don't even like them on females. :blinkbigeyes:

The people that you encounter that don't ever comment are just being polite. I'm sure that they'll never forget you since you probably leave a lasting impression. And, perhaps not the most favorable one, either.

But, if you like them, then wear them. After all, you are the one that has to be happy.

Indeed, I'd find it somewhat unprofessional, and when it affects your very bread and butter money, then it cant be a good thing...

I wouldnt hire anybody with nails like that, male or female, and I run several I.T service companies, as this gives off the impression that the person thinks more of their nails than they do of their work.

I'd want our customers to remember us for our service and professionlism, and not for how we look :pulsingheart:

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

I'd want our customers to remember us for our service and professionlism, and not for how we look :blinkbigeyes:

Of course, you would have to be careful when you show up as the cookie monster in heels, long painted nails like those would just put it over the top, eh? :pulsingheart: jk

Indeed, I'd find it somewhat unprofessional, and when it affects your very bread and butter money, then it cant be a good thing...

I wouldnt hire anybody with nails like that, male or female, and I run several I.T service companies, as this gives off the impression that the person thinks more of their nails than they do of their work.

I'd want our customers to remember us for our service and professionlism, and not for how we look :blinkbigeyes:

i guess its a good thing i run my own business and dont work for you then :pulsingheart:

I'm don't particularly like these nails either (on m or f) and I would certainly regard a man sporting them as 'eccentric'. However, I fail to see (a) why such nails (or heels, or anything of an unusual or flamboyant nature) should automatically suggest that the wearer's ability or interest in work must take second place to his appearance; or (:pulsingheart: what is so special about the IT business that calls for a particular attitude or look.

My contact with 'IT professionals' (whether employees or self-employed) strongly suggests that many are nerds of varying degrees of eccentricity and with a distinct lack of dress-sense and effective personal grooming. And, for reasons which escape me, this seems to be tolerated if not expected of them in the workplace. Surely, one who clearly takes some pride in his appearance, even if somewhat off-beat, is likely to have pride in his work too? At least those nails get some care and attention, as distinct from being ragged and dirty; wouldn't either be a good hint as to the owner's personality?

Do you always wear a jacket and tie, Tech, when with your clients - and never jeans or trainers or a tee shirt? If you cannot answer 'yes', then you may still look neat and smart but you will not be dressed in the 'conventional professional' manner that most businesses of any substance would expect - and would likely be remembered for all the wrong reasons, as you have yourself suggested.

I'm don't particularly like these nails either (on m or f) and I would certainly regard a man sporting them as 'eccentric'. However, I fail to see (a) why such nails (or heels, or anything of an unusual or flamboyant nature) should automatically suggest that the wearer's ability or interest in work must take second place to his appearance; or (:blinkbigeyes: what is so special about the IT business that calls for a particular attitude or look.

My contact with 'IT professionals' (whether employees or self-employed) strongly suggests that many are nerds of varying degrees of eccentricity and with a distinct lack of dress-sense and effective personal grooming. And, for reasons which escape me, this seems to be tolerated if not expected of them in the workplace. Surely, one who clearly takes some pride in his appearance, even if somewhat off-beat, is likely to have pride in his work too? At least those nails get some care and attention, as distinct from being ragged and dirty; wouldn't either be a good hint as to the owner's personality?

Do you always wear a jacket and tie, Tech, when with your clients - and never jeans or trainers or a tee shirt? If you cannot answer 'yes', then you may still look neat and smart but you will not be dressed in the 'conventional professional' manner that most businesses of any substance would expect - and would likely be remembered for all the wrong reasons, as you have yourself suggested.

me personally?

it depends what im doing

if i go out to meet them for the first time i usually wear a shirt and tie.......if im just going to pick up a computer or deliver something then i often dont and will wear khakis and a polo shirt

me personally?

it depends what im doing

if i go out to meet them for the first time i usually wear a shirt and tie.......if im just going to pick up a computer or deliver something then i often dont and will wear khakis and a polo shirt

It was Tech whom I was asking, scott - but thanks for confirming your own sartorial elegance!

I'm don't particularly like these nails either (on m or f) and I would certainly regard a man sporting them as 'eccentric'. However, I fail to see (a) why such nails (or heels, or anything of an unusual or flamboyant nature) should automatically suggest that the wearer's ability or interest in work must take second place to his appearance; or (:blinkbigeyes: what is so special about the IT business that calls for a particular attitude or look.

I wouldnt accept ragedy and dirty either. Our dress is mostly jeans and company branded polo & fleece.

Our situation must be very different to yours because wearing jeans/polo doesnt stop us unplugging lan cables, installing network cabinets, repairing laptops, servicing servers @ the data centre or any of the other intricate jobs we do, whereas nails like that, in our line of work would render you useless, and our clients would look at you like a moron if you turned up to a job and couldnt use a screwdriver or couldnt remove a server from a rack cabinet because of your "fake fingernails"

Its no different to wearing a suit if you worked at Mcdonalds flipping burgers, you would also look a dick due to what your wearing preventing you from doing your job efficiently, and the client/employer having doubts over his choice of contractor/employee, and subsequently not calling back in future....

You wouldnt expect a plumber to have nails like that, and for the same reason, you wouldnt want any tech to turn up like that either.

Its nothing to do with I.T in particular, its just a matter of being able to carry out what your being paid for, regardless of the job. If you were a drywaller/plasterer, you wouldnt last long if you didnt want to get your hair messed up plastering a ceiling, nor as a vetinary surgeon or dentist/nurse/Doctor etc etc, having long fingernails like that just doesnt work

I've been out on many a job in heels, thats not a problem because I dont use my feet to install switches and routers, or strip laptops down.

Puffer, if knowing what your doing and doing it well makes somebody a nerd, then I'm sure there are tons of nerds in every industry, not just I.T, but why do you feel the need to introduce things were not talking about, as if we were? Its as if you seem to want to butt in and take a digg, just for the heck of it, when the totally obvious is being stated?

Were talking about the nails, only the nails, nothing else, and my references are relating totally to wearing anything that prevents you doing any job your employed to, no matter what that might be, and being remembered for the wrong reasons, I'm relating again to somebody turning up to a job like one of ours and not even being able to cope with a rack server, or stripping our a laptop systemboard just because of their fingernails, which is something so blatently obvious, to the point the person would not be able to actually do the job they came for, which is where you get remembered for the wrong reason.

Turn up in leather trousers or colourful shirts, heels or whatever, but in the work we do, you just have to be 100% sure you can do the job, no matter what.

If an employee wanted to wear heels, I wouldnt give a crap, but I also wouldnt want to hear any bitching about knocking off early because their feet hurt, or not wanting to climb under customers desks in case they broke a nail or they couldnt flip burgers in case they got their suit dirty!!!

I wouldnt accept ragedy and dirty either. Our dress is mostly jeans and company branded polo & fleece.

Our situation must be very different to yours because wearing jeans/polo doesnt stop us unplugging lan cables, installing network cabinets, repairing laptops, servicing servers @ the data centre or any of the other intricate jobs we do, whereas nails like that, in our line of work would render you useless, and our clients would look at you like a moron if you turned up to a job and couldnt use a screwdriver or couldnt remove a server from a rack cabinet because of your "fake fingernails"

i would agree.......and you would be correct if i actually did that

ive been there........but now i have a crew of 22 to do most of that for me........all i really do now is meet the clients or prospects........discuss their needs.......and see what i can do to help their business.

most of my clients are startups and growing companies who are growing faster than their current IT can handle.

i also do the billing and accounting and from time to time drop off or pick up equipment when i need to

Its no different to wearing a suit if you worked at Mcdonalds flipping burgers, you would also look a dick due to what your wearing preventing you from doing your job efficiently, and the client/employer having doubts over his choice of contractor/employee, and subsequently not calling back in future....

You wouldnt expect a plumber to have nails like that, and for the same reason, you wouldnt want any tech to turn up like that either.

Its nothing to do with I.T in particular, its just a matter of being able to carry out what your being paid for, regardless of the job. If you were a drywaller/plasterer, you wouldnt last long if you didnt want to get your hair messed up plastering a ceiling, nor as a vetinary surgeon or dentist/nurse/Doctor etc etc, having long fingernails like that just doesnt work

since its my own company and i dont do too much field work anymore........im basically in the office all day.......im not prevented from doing anything

I've been out on many a job in heels, thats not a problem because I dont use my feet to install switches and routers, or strip laptops down.

thats a poor assumption on your part that i actually do alot of that everyday..........because i havent done much of that for the better part of 7 years now

Puffer, if knowing what your doing and doing it well makes somebody a nerd, then I'm sure there are tons of nerds in every industry, not just I.T, but why do you feel the need to introduce things were not talking about, as if we were? Its as if you seem to want to butt in and take a digg, just for the heck of it, when the totally obvious is being stated?

Were talking about the nails, only the nails, nothing else, and my references are relating totally to wearing anything that prevents you doing any job your employed to, no matter what that might be, and being remembered for the wrong reasons, I'm relating again to somebody turning up to a job like one of ours and not even being able to cope with a rack server, or stripping our a laptop systemboard just because of their fingernails, which is something so blatently obvious, to the point the person would not be able to actually do the job they came for, which is where you get remembered for the wrong reason.

Turn up in leather trousers or colourful shirts, heels or whatever, but in the work we do, you just have to be 100% sure you can do the job, no matter what.

If an employee wanted to wear heels, I wouldnt give a crap, but I also wouldnt want to hear any bitching about knocking off early because their feet hurt, or not wanting to climb under customers desks in case they broke a nail or they couldnt flip burgers in case they got their suit dirty!!!

ive done construction before but im not now.......so that isnt really relevant to the conversation

thats a poor assumption on your part that i actually do alot of that everyday..........because i havent done much of that for the better part of 7 years now

ive done construction before but im not now.......so that isnt really relevant to the conversation

A. I wasnt assuming anything about you, I was talking about what I do, and in reference to why I wouldnt employ anybody like that.

B. It is relevant in context, as an example..

:blinkbigeyes:

A. I wasnt assuming anything about you, I was talking about what I do, and in reference to why I wouldnt employ anybody like that.

B. It is relevant in context, as an example..

:blinkbigeyes:

and on some of those points i can see where you are coming from.......personally i would give somebody a shot to show me if they can handle it before i would pass judgement on their abilities to handle the job

but you are right in some areas it somethings would be a hinderance

and on some of those points i can see where you are coming from.......personally i would give somebody a shot to show me if they can handle it before i would pass judgement on their abilities to handle the job

but you are right in some areas it somethings would be a hinderance

Indeed, that was exactly my point, and everything I said was only in reference to what we do, not others... :blinkbigeyes:

It's a pity, Tech, that you didn't read my comments with greater care and see the points I was actually making. You are the one who has decried unconventional appearance in an IT context yet clearly have your own rules about what is acceptable, as you are entitled, but which might seem somewhat hypocritical. My brief responses follow:

Good - but not conventional business wear, if that matters.

Its nothing to do with I.T in particular, its just a matter of being able to carry out what your being paid for, regardless of the job. If you were a drywaller/plasterer, you wouldnt last long if you didnt want to get your hair messed up plastering a ceiling, nor as a vetinary surgeon or dentist/nurse/Doctor etc etc, having long fingernails like that just doesnt work.

I don't work in IT (although my elder son does) and my observations were based on contact with IT people over many years. I quite agree that clothes and nails must permit the job - in whatever field - to be done properly; it was only your apparent reasons for condemning a worker's appearance that I questioned.

I have no problem with that but, our mutual interest aside, do you think that makes you look professional and trustworthy in the eyes of the typically bigoted client who is paying for your services?

Of course there are nerds in every field (and I'm probably one myself!) but IT was the subject here and it provides a good example of clever blokes who often flout convention in appearance (and sometimes in behaviour).

You rightly challenged the practicalities of long nails but you coupled it with definite suggestions that they were objectionable on grounds of unprofessional appearance. So, be prepared for others to question your ideas of what is proper clothing etc in the workplace. That was all I did; I have no personal problem with your chosen look, although (I repeat) it is not what is normally worn 'in the office' and might raise eyebrows for that reason.

I did read your comments VERY carefully, as I do all the time, after being sick and tired of most people on this website only ever reading what they "want" to see, even if it hasnt been written... Like you have now just said "unconventional businesswear", well, when was the last time you saw any I.T people climbing about under tables or getting dirty in a suit/tie? What I am referring to is not a case based of how somebody looks, but purely on their ability to do the job, and how THAT looks to the customer.