First Time in Ballet Heels

OUCH!

Can anyone here wear ballet heels without going down on their knees in agony? I'm currently sat here wearing them and I'm glad that I'm sat down!

To be fair, they're not as uncomfortable as I'd imagined 'on the foot', but when the weight shifts onto them as I stand up they become unbearable. I'd think it would be easier for a 60KG woman to wear, but when you are a man and almost twice as heavy then they become less use and more ornament.

They are the pair that Big D have for sale and he's kindly let me try before I buy them. He was also good enough to offer advice too. Cheers mate!

Can anyone point me in the direction of mpegs (or any videos) or ballet heels succesfully being worn please?

Here is what they look like on....

Posted Image

One question would be just how loose are they on your feet? Especially important around the ball of the foot...

The sneaky little secret of ballet dancers is that very little of their weight is actually on the tips of their toes.. alot of their weight is supported by the shape of the toe box around the ball of their feet, which is why fitting is so important to them and why worn out toe shoes are never used in performances..

That having been said, If they are a little loose, there are ways to deal with it. If they are a little long you are in luck :wink:

If they are a little loose you can wear thick socks, but make sure they are not too thick or your foot will get compressed, which becomes very uncomfortable after a very short period of time, even if you never stand up. Also, you can get padding, such as lambs wool and stuff the toe area of the boots. That will help protect your toes by spreading out the weight.

Btw, the shape of your foot will have a large impact on your comfort level in these types of boots. Gaynor Minden's website http://www.dancer.com has alot of good information that will directly relate to ballet boots, I recomend you check out the "feet and fitting" link on their site.

As far as video's, heikes got some good ones (link above), another site http://www.rubberben.com has a couple vids. And hopefully I'll get some new vid's this weekend up on my site.

Hope this helps

Jim

Jim@balletboots.net

(formerly known as "JimC")

I too have a pair of ballets, but mine are the oxford type. Standing and walking are not the easiest of things to do in these shoes and, yes, it kills your toes the first few time you try them. I can manage to walk with a little help, but can't get my legs straight. I'm still working on that part! :wink: Having the ankle boot variety is certainly a bigger help as it offers more support than mine. Ultimately, I want a pair of thigh high ballets! :D Have to sweet talk the household management first :o

I just managed to go from the bedroom to the toilet, pee (from a high distance!), then to the bathroom and wash my hands and face (I took my specs off and left them on the window). Back to the landing to get the towel, back to get my specs and then back to the bedroom, all with a rather bemused cat watching! Agony, but progress. I'm wearing four pairs of socks and I have a fifth pair shoved into the toes of the ballet heels. It has to get easier than this :wink:

There looks to be a problem there. The end of the toe box is collapsing slightly, but more importantly a lot of the boot around and just below the ankle is bunching up. They aren't quite the right size or shape for your foot or something.

I have a knee high pair just like those, and the toe box does slightly collapse at the end after a bit of use :wink: Of course, I've also nearly worn through the tips on the heels.. so I may have to find a local cobbler and bring em in to get fixed.. that may get amusing. Seeya Jim

P.S... If you have that many pairs of socks on while wearing those boots they are way too big. The boots should help support your weight. You might need to bypass this deal and find a pair that fit. Seeya Jim

I tried a pair that were one size too big, and they were agony. I then tried a pair which were supposedly a half size too small and they were great. The big toe just reached the end when standing, and the rest of the boot supported the whole foot. You should avoid putting all the weight onto the ends of your toes. I also found it easier to straighten up and lift the heel off the floor when walking.

• 2 months later...

Have a new pair of "Ballet" style boots form Thigh High Boots. The advice form JimC for toe pads are a great help. The boots have a 9" inch heel with about an inch and a half platefrom, in other words a liitle over 7 1/2 inches. Maybe not a ture Ballet Heel but high enough for me at this time.

I have finally got my ballet boots delivered from Punitive shoes and it is the model that is called Wanda. I am really please even though I realized that my shoes are about one size to big. The Wanda shoe is really easy to walk in I think that is because it is shaped more or less like an ordinary (dancer´s) ballet shoe. I use toe cushions from a dance store for padding and I can walk without much problem in them. Tonight I even tried a few steps outside and I easily managed to walk 50 meters or so in them. I am really happy about this...I hope to be able to post photos and maybe even a video soon.

They are pretty easy to work with, I'd be surprised if they didnt let you exchange them for a pair that fit more the way you want. I did get lucky I guess, since a shop in Fort Lauderdale sells their "hot peppers" brand of ballet boots, and they happend to have both size 8 and 9 in one model so I could figure out which size I really wanted. Although I am tempted to go a size down to see if I can reduce my reliance on padding.. let the proper shape of the shoe support the foot vs resting on my toes. Have a good one Jim

JimC wrote:

they happend to have both size 8 and 9 in one model so I could figure out which size I really wanted.

Why not try them both on and see which you like better?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Bubba: thats exactly what I did on multiple occasions. Although the fetish factory's prices on the Hot peppers/qualifetish shoes/boots is a bit high ($710 for a pair of zip up thigh highs I got for $440 overnight), they are more then willing to let someone try out something they feel is impossible. The model I've tried on a few times is the Kinky.. very similer to punitive shoes Wanda model, basically just a lace up shoe. I was able to stand up first try and make it a few feet over to the mirror to get a peek :lol:

She was a bit amazed.

I did also try out their erotika model, which in the store was a lace up thigh high without speedlaces.. took me almost an hour in total unlacing the boot, putting it on, lacing it up.. then unlacing and putting back in the display. Very fun but you definatly lock yourself into your seat while other people walk into the store.

http://store.fetishfactory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Home.FrameSet&nextpage=Items.ShowItemDetails&itemid=54101&location=FSU_1 <-- this is the first pair I tried on.

http://store.fetishfactory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Home.FrameSet&nextpage=Items.ShowItemDetails&itemid=54684&location=FBT_1 <--- thats the boot I tried on, they only have one.

I've also amazed them with my mobility in a sleepsack, but thats for another thread.

I am pondering getting a pair of the shoes in size 8, I've got my thigh boots in 9, and I currently have $150 store credit to use..

Have a good one

Jim

• 8 years later...