A Night at the Opera

Night at the Opera Steven stood up from his desk, turned toward the windows that looked eastward out of his office in the Enterprise building on the corner of 4th and Independence Ave., directly across the street from NASA Headquarters and the Air and Space Museum on the Mall in Washington, DC. Looking at his watch, noting that it was already 3 p.m., he picked up the telephone and, punching one of the speed dial buttons, called his wife Jane who worked in the Natural History Museum, located on the other side of the Mal less than ½ mile from his office. Jane picked up on the third ring and he reminded her that they had to leave from work in just a few minutes if they were going to drive to their home in Springfield, change their clothes and get back to the Kennedy Center in time for the 7 PM Curtain for the opera. Jane said she was ready to leave and would meet him at the curb in front of the Museum’s Mall entrance on Madison Drive. Steven buzzed his secretary to let her know that he was leaving for the day and she could reach him on his cell telephone if she had the need. He picked up his briefcase, took his overcoat out of the closet and walked out the back door of his office suite, directly into the elevator corridor and rode down to the garage level where he had parked his car. Jane was waiting when he pulled up in front of the Museum. She jumped into the car and remarked. as he entered the flow of traffic toward the 14th Street Bridge and the Virginia side of the Potomac River, since it was still early, perhaps they would be lucky and avoid the really heavy rush hour traffic. 3 p.m. was the beginning of evening rush-hour out of the city. Steven often compared the City of Washington, DC to a giant beating heart. One beat every 24 hours. Pumping traffic into the city in the morning and pumping it out again in the afternoon. Traffic on I-295 was predictably heavy and they were prepared for the stop and go routine crossing the bridge and all of the way to the I-95/I-395 beltway corridor that encircled the city about 20 miles or so south of the river going toward Richmond. It took about 45 minutes for them to reach their comfortable two-story, contemporary style home in the Franconia community. Steve let the dog out into the back yard so that he could “do his business” while Jane heated up the supper that she had prepared for them before they left for work that morning. Quickly eating and straightening up the kitchen, they headed up stairs to clean up and get dressed for the trip back into the city to the Kennedy Center. Steven was the first to strip and hop into the shower. And, after quickly drying off, he walked back into the bedroom where Jane has laid their evening wear out on the bed. Tux and accessories on one side of the bed and Evening gown and accessories on the other. To the casual observer, the next few minutes would appear to be chaos in the absolute. -- Where did you put my new stockings? The sliver nylons ? I bought them last Saturday when we were shopping at Springfield Mall. -- No, not those shoes….the silver evening sandals. Do you think the heels are too high? They’re 5½ inches. -- Where are the cuff links? They were in the top drawer of the bureau. -- Would you please help me hook my bra? I bought a new one last Saturday but it doesn’t fit. I knew I should have tried it on as soon as I got home. I would have had plenty of time to exchange it for one that fit. -- are the seams of my stockings straight? I can’t see them very well in the mirror. -- I can’t get this tie tied right. Bow ties, I hate them. Will you help me? -- Damn, this garter (suspenders) belt is tight. It fit the last time I wore it. --- No, I haven’t gained weight…….. -- Ahhhh!! These shoes are heavenly. I love the way the high heels feel. I don’t think I’ll have any problem walking in them all night long. -- you should use a different face powder. That shade washes out your color. You look almost like you’re about dead. -- is this shade of lipstick too bright? Should I choose another color that isn’t quite as shinny? -- What about your hair? It’s fine. The hair dresser did a good job. Don’t worry, It will hold and look good for the entire evening. Don’t mess with it. It’s ok the way it is. -- your eyelashes are fine. No, they don’t need more mascara. You’ve enough eyeliner, too. -- Isn’t that shoulder wrap a little too heavy for such a warm evening? -- these ear rings are not for pierced ears. They’re clip-on and going to hurt after awhile. --that necklace is a little overpowering. Try the smaller one with and the matching ear rings. -- can you see my slip? It is strapless and I keep thinking it is sliding down and the hem will show below my gown. -- Hurry up….you’re slower than my aunt Matilda…..she would have been ready to go by this time…… -- Wow, you look great in that Tuxedo……I like the new shirt, It looks great. Don’t forget to wipe off your shoes. They’re dusty….they look kind of dull. --Have you seen the silver evening bag? The one that matches my shoes and gown? OK – OK, I’m ready. We’ve an hour and a half before we have to be there. Grab your cell phone, keys, wallet, and let’s get on the road. Are you sure you have the tickets? Pausing for a moment, Jane and Steven took a step back and looked at each other. “My you look smashingly beautiful in that platinum gown and matching accessories, Steven. And, those shoes…..absolutely beautiful”….to which Steven replied, “Jane, you look especially handsome yourself -- Very convincing. If I didn’t know any better – don’t let your voice give you away…… “ Taking one last look around the room to make sure they had everything, Steven and Jane walked down stairs to the kitchen and into the garage. Mr. and Mrs. Steven Konig……ready to join high society at a fashionable, formal gathering at the Kennedy Center to view one of the world’s most famous Italian operas. Steven wearing the latest ”Brando Sanchez” off the shoulder evening gown and ‘Karen Chrysler “ silver strappy high heeled sandals and Jane in her “David Sailzek,” high fashion men’s evening wear. Steven’s high stiletto heels made the most delicious sound on the garage’s concrete floor as he walked to the car and, smoothing his skirt down so that it wouldn’t wrinkle, carefully picked up his strappy sandaled high heeled shod feet and got in to the car on the passenger side. Jane, looking extremely handsome attired in the latest male evening wear, climbed into the driver’s seat and said to Steven as she prepared to drive back into the city to the Kennedy Center, "It's such a pleasure to accompany such a beautifully dressed person to such an occasion." #######

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw it coming to, but its a great read. On this forum, the twist would have been for them to not be a cross dressing couple. :smile: Thanks for sharing.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• 1 month later...