Gianni Barbato

k6ps

Hi,

This guy is one of the extremely few shoe designers (that i'm aware of) whose "mens" collections are not much less exciting than "womens" collections (in my opinion). Recently, in the S/S 2010 collection, he's getting into the border area of "heels for men" with some quite nice models in the 2,5'' range. So, i'm just wondering what do other members of HHPlace think about this designer. http://www.giannibarbato.it/

Happy Heeling

k6ps

k6ps, Well his collections, where heels are incorporated, seem to be western or cowboy inspired. No bad thing as the gals have been there for some time now, and they are just perfect with jeans. Why do you say that 2.5" heels are getting to the "border of high heels for men"? Seeing as the usual maximum heels on a man's shoe is 1", a 2.5" heels is high. Heels of this height give you all the elevation yet do not alter your walk significantly. They certainly do get noticed, but in a positive and constructive way. I don't see these as borderline, they are the logical first step on the way up. It is to be applauded that yet another designer is embrassing 2.5" cuban heels, albeit many years after Gucci and YSL started offering them. The more designers that do offer this sort of height will finally get the attention of the mainstream shoe shops and so the public at large. These need to be seen on models in the mags, then the gals will like the look and want their men to wear them. Once that happens, then you may well see the height increase as the only way is up, although I personally feel that stiletto heels on men will ever be seen as anything other than a gimic to gain publicity by designers. However, this will only happen if guys buy and wear these designer offerings. Ah too expensive I hear the cry, well personally I find that a complete and utter load of bull.... because it seems to me that many on here would, without a second thought, buy a pair of Louboutins if they were available in their size, and they certainly are not cheap! Too much emphasis on the fetish aspect of high heels, and not enough on the fashion and passion aspects. Bravo to the very few who are in the latter camp and boo to those to whom heels are nothing more than an erotic stimulant. Best I get of my soapbox before I get too wound up. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

k6ps,

...Ah too expensive I hear the cry, well personally I find that a complete and utter load of bull.... because it seems to me that many on here would, without a second thought, buy a pair of Louboutins if they were available in their size, and they certainly are not cheap!...

I disagree. While there are certainly 'fashion-conscious" people that will pay prices like this, I think that's a very small minority. I posted a thread about shoes I found at bebe that had a full 6" heel, 1.25" platforms, for as little as $100, I thought a phenominal price (especially considering what fashion ultra-heels ( Louboutin, YSL) go for). Yet, there were still posts that said, "...that's more than I want to spend..."

I looked into a pair of Archie Eyebrows ankle boots: 6cm (~2.35") heel, and in my size (13). However, they're over $330! (and I think some of the Gianna ones can go for twice that). That's just out of my budget for my high heel hobby. Maybe Louboutin started the trend for high (5"+) heels being the new fashion trend, but it took until those shoes were available in Macy's, Aldo, even Payless, that I think they started to become "in".