"cross dressing student sent home"

heelma

Just came across this article here:

http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-crossdressing-student-story,0,6183960.story

Was also highlighted on CNN.com today.

In short, a male student dressed up as a girl (stiletto heels and fully x-dressed, but normal girl's clothes, nothing outrageous) was sent home from school. Now he says it's discrimination.

This might be an interesting story to follow.

I would be interested to see also what had happened if he just wore stiletto heels though. --> actually, I just watched that movie, and the school's dress code says that stiletto heels are prohibited. Now I wonder how many girls wear them there.

If some how an organized movement of students, who realize the truth that is being presented, would form an active stand promoting O'Rhonde's attitude about attiring, the world would move closer to the ideal of equality for all. Isn't this the reason for civil rights cause and the women's liberation movement? Well, men have the right to obtain the same type of liberation also. Why is it that society down grades males for displaying feminine desires, but honors females in displaying their masculinity. This activity presents femininty as a lesser quality than masculinity, which is a false attitude and has no place in the minds of a just society.

Howdy, I would be willing to bet that there are gals in that school that not only wear mid-heels (his were not all that high) from time to time but also wear wigs and/or hair extensions to give themselves hair options that they may not be able to naturally have. It seems to be a pretty common thing these days. It would be great if there could be a movement within the student body to support him. If his district is anything like Phoenix Union High School District then the administration would insted of revising their rules to be more open they would head out and enforce the rules on the ladies. I do hope for the best for him and his school. You gotta give the guy credit for doing what he is doing too. High school can be a tough place to be unique. You also have to give his peers that were interviewed credit as well. I don't think that you would find too many students that open sixteen years ago when I was in high school. Larry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Before I went through the expense of hiring a lawyer, if the only complaint against him is his wig and heels, I believe I would wear a nice dress or skirt and blouse, stockings and flats just to test the fact that the dress code specifically pointed out that heels and hair aren't allowed. Then, if I were still not allowed to attend classes dress in that manner, I would hire a lawyer.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

What is sad about the whole thing is that here, this teen is challenging the established dress code. Whether we like the look or not (and us means us at this site generally and the greater public too) I believe that he has a constitutional right to wear what he wants (meeting decency codes of course).

With that said, I'm sure that the heels were not the real issue as I have no doubt that many girl teens there wear heels. It would be interesting for him to try a dress with flats as Bubba suggested.

But it also goes to show what a hard row we have to hoe.

It's all about the heel!

Wanna bet that school district will move heaven and earth to enact a rule that has all kids, both genders wear uniforms like in Japan and some U.S. cities (like Philly) in order to avoid lawsuits like what Mr. Chapman might file should he decide to take legal action.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

This seems to be becoming a trend with students and schools alike, take a look at what I found on a blog I follow:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/06/jonathan-escobar-cross-dr_n_311791.html

Personally I have no problem with either gentleman, I really wonder where the school districts dig up such bigots to run our schools. I mean what kind of message are we sending our children and teenagers: "Accept everyone, but never accept a cross dresser." Is that really what we need to teach that there is always an exception to acceptance?

Also note that the video has been removed from the both the story and You Tube. Go figure.

T&H

UPDATE:

I found the video! never under estimate the users of You Tube!

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

For what it's worth... I have two new Heroes... O'Rhonde, and Jonathan... These two young men have the guts to be themselves in two of the MOST redneck backwards-ass places on earth, Houston Texas, and Cobb County Georgia...

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

For what it's worth... I have two new Heroes... O'Rhonde, and Jonathan...

These two young men have the guts to be themselves in two of the MOST redneck backwards-ass places on earth, Houston Texas, and Cobb County Georgia...

I second that!

real men wear heels

What got to me the most is that their classmates didn't seem to mind one way or the other. It was the perception of the administrations that these two young men were a distraction to the other students and the classrooms, and this wasn't the case at all. The only distraction was that action taken against the two young men.

What happens if they deem the shoes as "female" shoes - how ae they going to describe male shoes so the ones the girls wear are not considered to be "male" by design? Or will that just be ok to say girls can wear male and male cannot wear female? This could become interesting if girls have to wear mary-janes and males wing-tips. :chuckle:

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Well, I'll say this: school is a place for learning, not a fashion show. But if the girls can wear shorts/skirts that barely cover their ass cheeks, show a lot of cleavage, and get away with it, a guy should be able to come to school dressed how he wants to. I live right across the street from a high school, and it seems like the girls wear tighter, and more revealing clothing every year.

I'm curious of what the parents think. Or do these young men just live with there mom?

As is always the case with news reports about issues, situations, persons, places and/or things, is that there is really never any followup after the fact reporting. In this case, unless you can find the reporter's blog or find another interview given by the subjects, an interested reader is left with a bunch of unanswered questions. That is unless, of course, you can get in touch with the subjects and pose your questions directly to them.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

They should leave him alone and let him wear what he wants !

(Except for the heels, which are againts the school's dressing rules...)

...I believe I would wear a nice dress or skirt and blouse, stockings and flats just to test the fact that the dress code specifically pointed out that heels and hair aren't allowed. Then, if I were still not allowed to attend classes dress in that manner, I would hire a lawyer.

I agree with you Bubba136.

But I'm almost sure he would still be sent home dressed in this way.

Why it is OK for a girl to wear pants, a men's shirt and short hair ?

This is discrimination and double standard.

I'm curious of what the parents think. Or do these young men just live with there mom?

After listening to one of the video, I heard that he now live with his sister.

I agree with you: It would be nice to know what the parents thinks...

back when i was at school (2001/2002 ish) we had uniform, but a few times a year we have a "mufti day" where you could wear non-uniform. Two guys showed up in dresses, the kind other girls were wearing that day, they were sent home. There were just them selfs, normal shoes, ect. no makeup or anything, just in a dress.

Double standards; the bane of us all.

Where I work I must keep my hair in a pony tail whilst on the clock or face a disciplinary wright up, but none of my female coworkers have to. (Nothing to do with the topic really but it feels good to vent sometimes.)

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

Double standards; the bane of us all.

Where I work I must keep my hair in a pony tail whilst on the clock or face a disciplinary wright up, but none of my female coworkers have to. (Nothing to do with the topic really but it feels good to vent sometimes.)

T&H

SUE! Thats discrimination at it's best!

real men wear heels

There was an article posted on my Yahoo main webpage this morning that reported a story about a girl in a university in Brazil that was expelled for wearing a "mini dress" to class. The charges against her were many, including indecent exposure. So guys, it's not only the male students that are booted because of wearing dresses. :chuckle:

As far as I am concerned, the people that have the biggest problems with men wearing women's clothes, etc. OR women wearing men's is that they are insecure about their own sexuallity/gender. I encourage you guys to keep heelin'. I think it's wonderful!

My thoughts exactly!... Thank you..:chuckle:

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

This school is very fortunate to have such a free thinking and liberated student as Jonathan. They should nurture such a person as an example of diversity which we should all embrace. The sad fact is that many institutions foster 'institutionalised mentality'. If uniformity of appearance is so important to education, why has the school abandoned 'school uniform'? We must encourage people to express themselves and enjoy harmless vainity, if that is their wish, in the same way that they should also be free to conform to uniformity if that is their desire. M

You won't get me wearing flat shoes...I really can't do it.

Thats my biggest problem with wearing skirt's and heels! It's not about the fact that I'm afraid too becuase I do. It more come's down to the fact that I am a "public servent" so to speak! So it become's a touch and go situation for me! (long story) As far as this kid goes I think that if the girl's are not alowed to wear heels neaither should he but if the girls can wear them so should he! Also I do agree that alot of the clothing that high school girls wear today is in my eye too reviling! If a girl shouwed up to my school wearing a skirt that came just a few inch's below her hoo ha I would send her home too. My mode of thinking is that if a girl wear's skirt that should be at least mid thigh but perferably just above the knee. Same with these damn boys and there pant's hanging with there ass crack sticking out! If half of these young white punks knew what that ment they would be a little less apped to wear them that way! Just my short rant on this! Ughh!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We could run laps around this topic... here are some others, maybe we could make this a catch-all compendium on this topic. Jonathan and O'Rhonde's stories are already posted.

Vladimir Moran Miller:

Rodney/Rochelle Evans:

(original story)

(follow-up)

as I find more, I'll update this thread

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Maybe it is time for society to stop thinking in Boy/Girl, Woman/Man terms?

Maybe we need to stop putting birth genders on birth certificates?

For the sake of those who are transgendered maybe we should stop putting a person's biological sex on their drivers license?

Just some thoughts but i really think people should just grow grow up and get their heads out of their (um:unsure:) tails. A persons biological sex, sexual orientation and what they wear do not define the individual, it is what they do with their life that defines them. If people could just get past those hang-ups wouldn't the world be a better place for all?

T&H

I live pretty close to Cobb county, and yeah, it gets pretty "suthurn" around there. I've toyed with the idea of cross dressing, but I really just want to wear any kind of shoes I like in public. Power to you people that do cross dress though. When its done well it looks fantastic.