Foot training advice

Heelboy13

Question

Hi all.. I have small feet for a male (UK size 7) and I am grateful for that, but I still battle to get past 3-4 inch heels, I have tried all the excersizes and do them almost every day. I feel I should invest in an arch stretching device now and strech my arches to be able to wear higher heels, I have heard that once you stretch your arches they can never be returned to what they are now, Is this true?. Should I go this extra mile or should I rather leave it for now, if anyone can give me some advice it would be much appreciated.

18 answers to this question

I know for me, it's a little difficult at times to wear lower heeled shoes. I love wearing heels, especially to work. When I come home, I don't usually take them off because I'll go run errands or something similar. Too many things to do. Anyways, because I've been wearing high heels (anywhere from 5"-6") for long term since about a couple of years ago, my arches have stretched to the point of getting almost locked into the shape of my heels. So now I have an awkward condition of wearing heels all the time. I'm embarrased to see my doctor about it, but since I love my stilletos, I don't mind at all.

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels. -- Faith Whittlesey

Hi i agree with you ,my feet locked into what i call the high heel position many years ago, but the down side is that it hurts when in low heels it also restricts the activitys you can do. so like karan be sure this is what you want,also having very high arches can be very embarasing when people see you feet,bye .

shaz

Hi Heelboy. To be honest I think your best bet is to simply practise in 4" heels until you get used to them, then try a pair of 4.5s. I can't think that any kind of stretching device will be good for your feet. I'm a UK size 7.5 and realistically 5.5" is about my limit without platforms, at that height the top of my foot is vertical and there is simply nowhere to go from there.

Karen, I too have become heeled 24/7. I love how it looks and really get used to some of the pain in causes once in awhile. One of the biggest concerns is visiting sometimes where people take their shoes off at the door. I can hobble in barefeet but not really for long periods and it becomes awkward explaining to bunch of people of not being able to really walk without heels. The other is trying to stay in shape and not being able to do a lot of things I used to do like ski, play tennis and golf. Now I just swim which works ok. Sheryl

I know for me, it's a little difficult at times to wear lower heeled shoes. I love wearing heels, especially to work. When I come home, I don't usually take them off because I'll go run errands or something similar. Too many things to do. Anyways, because I've been wearing high heels (anywhere from 5"-6") for long term since about a couple of years ago, my arches have stretched to the point of getting almost locked into the shape of my heels. So now I have an awkward condition of wearing heels all the time. I'm embarrased to see my doctor about it, but since I love my stilletos, I don't mind at all.

Thanks Sheryl and Karen for your informative posts.

I never imagined the feet could (really) become locked into

the shape of heels and prevent someone to do activities ...

Karen:

You said that you "hobble in barefeet but not really for long"

What happen if all your feet area touch the ground while walking, does it hurt ?

So I guess I am "fortunate" not to wear heels 24/7 then...

Well in that case Karen you have to look for a doctor that loves high heels or wears them himself. One like me:-) for example :-) By the way I admire your easy way of telling, that you are "locked into the shape of my heels". Tell us more stories from your life about it! Keep it comming :-) Cheers!

Been looking into this subject and still working on my Ballet Heel Boot project. For me there is no need to destroy my feet just to wear ugly pointy toes or the like. As for training I do not see any reason to loose the ability to go flat like if I need to run barefoot if the house catches fire at night. Just at the moment I am still working on my ballet heel boots designed for all day comfort and I do plan to stretch my front muscles but I am planning to keep my ability to go flat or even Earth shoe. Last night I read the plan to make flats impossible to wear. That was Pointegirl and I was not able to reply or to send message to Pointegirl. If I could I would love to ask what BH dos she wear now.

...still working on my ballet heel boots designed for all day comfort...

If you design a ballet heel boot you can wear all day

long without pain let me know and I will give it a try !

I think ballet boot and comfort don't go well together...

Actually my test concept toe box while I can stand on one foot for as long as I desire the thing that I am coming slow with is putting that tested and known shape into the leather upper and outer. As for anyone giving my design a try I would totally welcome the opportunity to share the cost and labor and make two pair. Unfortunately some personal problems are threatening to put this project on hold for some unknown time. Anyway part of the design is to get that inside heel as close to level as possible, which is nowhere near level but not slanting down any more than need be. Also the whole frame from toe to heel is stiff so that the weight on the heel bone can be sent to the floor through the toe tip or heel tip. All of this has been tested with fiberglass test mockup models.

buy a pair of 5in heels and try get used to wearing them.... you will find it tricky and achey and far from easy but then step in your 4's and they will feel like flats

Sensible advice. Along with my training regime to overcome calf pain ( achilles tendonitis ) this is the way to go.

I wear my New Look 5.5" at home but only ever wear 4"-4.5" out.

Am now pain free:smile:

"You put high heels on and you change" M. Blahnik

buy a pair of 5in heels and try get used to wearing them.... you will find it tricky and achey and far from easy but then step in your 4's and they will feel like flats

That's actually how I did it.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.